Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish celebrities who suddenly vanished out of the spotlight

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

Mia Dunphy the last I see of her was on Dancing with the Stars, she is reported to have split from husband Johnny Vegas ( says they never lived together) they reconciled and split up again

She was also on the Late Late Show launching her book about motherhood shortly after her son was born.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Anna the ex-nun from BB. She was a presenter for a while and thn she vanished.

Anna Nolan? Reports say Blanaid Ni Coffaigh didnt like her, she got **** canned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Anna Nolan? Reports say Blanaid Ni Coffaigh didnt like her, she got **** canned.

Blathnaid didn't like Sheana Keane, who eventually took a case against her. Anna just seemed disinterested.

banoffe2 wrote: »
    Mia Dunphy the last I see of her was on Dancing with the Stars, she is reported to have split from husband Johnny Vegas ( says they never lived together) they reconciled and split up again

She was also on the Late Late Show launching her book about motherhood shortly after her son was born.

She was in that 'High Road, Low Road' show there a few weeks back. I don't watch it, but it came on after some program, and I grabbed the sky remote and turned it off.

(Jake Carter was also on it).

No wonder her relationship didn't work out if the two were never together.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I saw a documentary about her, she was skyping JV, he lived in england and she stayed in Ireland. Think they met about once a month or so. Strange set-up, if you were serious about a relationship somebody would move and go to live with the other person wouldn't you think.

I saw a documentary about her, she was skyping JV, he lived in england and she stayed in Ireland. Think they met about once a month or so. Strange set-up, if you were serious about a relationship somebody would move and go to live with the other person wouldn't you think.

I remember she let slip she was a 'single mom' on DWTStaff. Which subsequently triggered Amanda Brunker to write an article about her.

Then about a few weeks after she got kicked off DWTS they revealed they'd split.

Thing is tho-she was JV's second wife, and his first marriage barely lasted 6 years (probably shorter when you take in the time of divorce courts).
    It's a well documented fact that second marriages tend to always end up in divorce courts. (As do third and fourth marriages).

In short-if someone is divorced, they're not marriage material.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Yeah, even Graham Linehan chimed in about that producer (The guy is also still employed at RTE, in entertainment).

He's not at RTE these days.

He's not at RTE these days.

Knowing RTE, he got promoted.

Did that 'Cian' guy (the one who pretended to be himself and his girlfriend, and would upload videos to facebook) disappear?

Did people finally get sick of him?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Moaning on Twitter always asking questions

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Did that 'Cian' guy (the one who pretended to be himself and his girlfriend, and would upload videos to facebook) disappear?

Did people finally get sick of him?

In Ireland ywa..buy seems to be sharing alot of viral videos..maybe its a managent company thing

• Advertisement

Anyone remember what happened to that guy Mark Mahon?

If you've forgotten, he directed one of the worst Irish films to ever open in Irish cinemas, Strength and Honor. Movie starred Michael Madsen, Richard Chamberlain, Vinnie Jones and Patrick Bergin. (The lead roles are meant to be IRish, but the only Irish actor he cast was Bergin). The film has a 6% critic score on imdb.

The film got absolutely panned in IReland. But Mahon was the type of guy who hyped himself up to the last-his next movie was going to be a 100 million euro film about Brian Boru, and he was saying Leonardo di Caprio was going to play Brian.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/graphic-novelist-with-a-100m-movie-on-his-mind-1.1413662

An absolute lick a**e by all accounts- put Morgan Freeman as a 'thanks' in his last (only) film. Freeman had no involvement in it.
    Name dropped like crazy, seemed to be his biggest fan too. Took credit for 'ghosting' on films (scriptwriting) but, of course, 'couldn't name them'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭George White

I met him once at an IFTA thing for Neil Marshall about five years ago, and I tried to stop myself from bursting out in laughter at the sheer ridiculousness of him.
    He spoke in this ludicrous faux-American accent, like some country and Irish obsessive. I presumed he was an American who had been here for a while.

I remember he posted on the day of Lauren Bacall's death a photo of him with a woman who he said was Bacall, but was clearly Barbara Bain from Mission Impossible and Space 1999.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Anyone remember what happened to that guy Mark Mahon?

If you've forgotten, he directed one of the worst Irish films to ever open in Irish cinemas, Strength and Honor. Movie starred Michael Madsen, Richard Chamberlain, Vinnie Jones and Patrick Bergin. (The lead roles are meant to be IRish, but the only Irish actor he cast was Bergin). The film has a 6% critic score on imdb.

The film got absolutely panned in IReland. But Mahon was the type of guy who hyped himself up to the last-his next movie was going to be a 100 million euro film about Brian Boru, and he was saying Leonardo di Caprio was going to play Brian.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/graphic-novelist-with-a-100m-movie-on-his-mind-1.1413662

An absolute lick a**e by all accounts- put Morgan Freeman as a 'thanks' in his last (only) film. Freeman had no involvement in it.
    Name dropped like crazy, seemed to be his biggest fan too. Took credit for 'ghosting' on films (scriptwriting) but, of course, 'couldn't name them'.

That's not a real movie is it!?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

TV3 used to show it, got about 15 minutes of it once and I've sat through some crap movies,

I met him once at an IFTA thing for Neil Marshall about five years ago, and I tried to stop myself from bursting out in laughter at the sheer ridiculousness of him.
    He spoke in this ludicrous faux-American accent, like some country and Irish obsessive. I presumed he was an American who had been here for a while.

I remember he posted on the day of Lauren Bacall's death a photo of him with a woman who he said was Bacall, but was clearly Barbara Bain from Mission Impossible and Space 1999.

Jesus, what an idiot. He sounds a right plonker. God...starting to wonder if he credited Morgan Freeman, but might have been talking to Nelson Mandela.

I believe he swiped the name of the film from Gladiator. 'Strength and Honor' is Maximus motto in that film.
    TV3 used to show it, got about 15 minutes of it once and I've sat through some crap movies,

I think my brother got stuck watching it one night. Absolutely dreadful.
    The movie had plenty of one star reviews.

I remember Michael Madsen and Mahon were interviewed by Tubridy... and Madsen demoe'd his 'Irish' accent.
    It was not good. No matter how Tubridy 'tried' to spin it as good.

(There's an interview on the official fb page, have no idea what the show was. But they show clips from the film... and honestly. the clip they show of 'Mammy' made me burst out laughing... it's sooo bad and over acted. The end of the interview-aiming for a Summer shoot with his next film-this interview's from 2007/ 2008 or so).

https://www.facebook.com/StrengthandHonourthemovie/videos/97207596397/

A friend of mine did a few short films that came out in film festivals. Knowing the trials and tribulations of getting scripts, funding, finding a director, actors, and so on, his opinion of Mahon was 'total faker'.

Sadly, it is. Co-stars Finbar furey, Pat Shortt, and many 'that guy/ gal' Irish actors.. No major names, tho.
    I think Mahon benefited from the Celtic Tiger 'economy'-as in it was all false successes, where money was thrown at people, even if the end product was s**t. Round the time the film came out, the Tiger was slowly dying. (Nobody told Mahon tho-in 2013 he was still touting his own ego).

It says a lot that TV3 only showed this a few times. They (VM1 now) repeat 'Watermelon' (that s**te Anna Friel tv movie) every 6 months or so. And they used to be addicted to repeating the TV movie 'Two against Time'.

He was ludicrous, a la NiallToibin in Eat the Peach, as the faux-Texan showman.
    I was forever thinking, "is this guy for real?"
    He sounded vaguely Elvis-esque.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭1 sheep2

I liked Craig Doyle. Loads of reasons TV shows fail and his success abroad proves he has talent. Don't know why the producer is being criticised for persevering with him. Lots of celebrated TV wouldn't have happened if a producer didn't stick to their guns when things seemed not to be working.

1 sheep2 wrote: »
    I liked Craig Doyle. Loads of reasons TV shows fail and his success abroad proves he has talent. Don't know why the producer is being criticised for persevering with him. Lots of celebrated TV wouldn't have happened if a producer didn't stick to their guns when things seemed not to be working.

You can like Doyle. But the issue with Doyle was that he's a sports person, first and foremost. It's where he started, it's where he's suited.

When he got to RTE... they liked him WAY too much... so they put him into shows where he was not suited.(Similar with Grainne Seoige, but they got her on a budget-she'd fled sky News Ireland after it sank and burned').
    If you're doing 10-15 minute segments, that's fine.

But if you're trying to host a hour or hour and a half long show, where you have to be 'on' for much longer.. it can expose the cracks.
    RTe spent a LOT of money on him. They put him in Craig Doyle Live, Live Tonight with Craig Doyle, some show like 'Hanging with Hector' that I forget the name of, The Social and The Panel.

He didn't connect-even his 'Hector-like show' he described as 'sh**e'. (And, as RTE secret producer noted, the people on his show messed up the 'hashtag' on the first episode of The Social)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

You can like Doyle. But the issue with Doyle was that he's a sports person, first and foremost. It's where he started, it's where he's suited.

When he got to RTE... they liked him WAY too much... so they put him into shows where he was not suited.(Similar with Grainne Seoige, but they got her on a budget-she'd fled sky News Ireland after it sank and burned').
    If you're doing 10-15 minute segments, that's fine.

But if you're trying to host a hour or hour and a half long show, where you have to be 'on' for much longer.. it can expose the cracks.
    RTe spent a LOT of money on him. They put him in Craig Doyle Live, Live Tonight with Craig Doyle, some show like 'Hanging with Hector' that I forget the name of, The Social and The Panel.

He didn't connect-even his 'Hector-like show' he described as 'sh**e'. (And, as RTE secret producer noted, the people on his show messed up the 'hashtag' on the first episode of The Social)

His tenure on the Panel was the final nail in its coffin, though TBH it had been on a downward spiral for a long time.

His tenure on the Panel was the final nail in its coffin, though TBH it had been on a downward spiral for a long time.

It was running on steam after 2 series. Ireland just doesn't have any 'celebs' to keep a show like that going.
    The show started in Australia, where there's a plethora of people, and talent.

Over here, it's 3 episodes before they bring on Twink or Samantha Mumba.

• Advertisement

Anyone remember a female Asian presenter on Anything Goes in the 80s? She might have been Chinese or Vietnamese. She wasn't one of the main presenters but there was some niche slot she would do.

Anyone know what happened to Jonathan Rachel Clynch? Seemingly disappeared by RTE after they came out, despite promises they'd continue working there.

Anyone know what happened to Jonathan Rachel Clynch? Seemingly disappeared by RTE after they came out, despite promises they'd continue working there.

Man... that's a name I literally never heard again after their coming out.

I do know there was a planned interview with either Marian Finucane, or Miriam, and that was axed because some of the media were getting intrusive into Clynch's life.

A shame.

Yeah, as someone who identifies as genderfluid myself, it's a bummer. I've constantly googled Mx. Clynch, and nothing seems to come up post-that announcement.
    No features written by them, no profiles, no nothing.
    If you are out there, Jonathan Rachel, please just say something to let us know you're okay.

That Brides Of Franc fella.

That Brides Of Franc fella.

I know him, he is as busy as he ever was with weddings. Busy man Peter Kelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,064 ✭✭✭✭Water John

His wife and him run their business, just not on TV now.
    Obviously that is in limbo with Covid 19. Lots of professionals eg chefs, doctors have a core business, that occasionally lends itself to TV work.

Water John wrote: »
    . Lots of professionals eg chefs, doctors have a core business, that occasionally lends itself to TV work.

The TV work really puts you on the map.

Water John wrote: »
    His wife and him run their business, just not on TV now.
    Obviously that is in limbo with Covid 19. Lots of professionals eg chefs, doctors have a core business, that occasionally lends itself to TV work.

You have to have a personality tho-that can help.

Caught Dylan McGrath (remember him?) on the 6 O'Clock show a month or two back.
    I'd forgotten he was a thing, he hadn't been on TV (regularly) since that Irish Masterchef years ago, and a disastrous interview with Brendan O'Connor where he was clearly out of it on medication, and started talking about his mother. (When he wasn't on something, he could be a genuine jerk).

Anyways, he had all the personality of a stone. Even Muireann O'Connell, who can be fairly upbeat, was genuinely struggling to get ANYTHING out of the guy.

All his talk of Michelin stars, he had less personality than Marco Pierre White.

• Advertisement

You have to have a personality tho-that can help.

Caught Dylan McGrath (remember him?) on the 6 O'Clock show a month or two back.
    I'd forgotten he was a thing, he hadn't been on TV (regularly) since that Irish Masterchef years ago, and a disastrous interview with Brendan O'Connor where he was clearly out of it on medication, and started talking about his mother. (When he wasn't on something, he could be a genuine jerk).

All his talk of Michelin stars, he had less personality than Marco Pierre White.

Look if you know anything about a michelin star, you can buy it. You just have to put the right food on the menu from the previous year. Holding onto a michelin star? That is a different story. Most michelin stars are lost the following year.

Want to impress me? Go run a profitable restaurant, pay your bills and taxes, remain sane and stay off the coke while trying to maintain a relationship with a real person.

Advertisement