Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

4k Fire TV stick - PLEASE READ OP BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Jofspring wrote:
    Doesn't seem to be the case. My father has Amazon prime Irish account and can't watch anything on the Firestick. I have a UK one and it works no problem.

You definitely can watch Irish content on the firestick without contacting amazon. You can't rent or buy extra content on an Irish account because this is UK only content.

Amazon prime app is pre loaded on the stick. You literally just sign in to view your Irish content. The only time I ever had to contact amazon was when I decided to change from Irish content to UK content. Up until that point I viewed the Irish content on the firestick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    You definitely can watch Irish content on the firestick without contacting amazon. You can't rent or buy extra content on an Irish account because this is UK only content.

Amazon prime app is pre loaded on the stick. You literally just sign in to view your Irish content. The only time I ever had to contact amazon was when I decided to change from Irish content to UK content. Up until that point I viewed the Irish content on the firestick

Ok, so you can sign in using the specific app on the Firestick? I assume the problem is so you can't watch the programs that are on the homescreen/suggested because stuff that is available in Ireland isn't working from there either. I'll get him to log in through the app itself.

To be honest it's probably still better to switch to a UK account anyway for access to more stuff.

Jofspring wrote:
    To be honest it's probably still better to switch to a UK account anyway for access to more stuff.

Better content but well all need VPN or get the boot from UK content when they leave the EU at the end of the year. They will no longer be following the EU directive then

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I have a fire tv for years and could never get prime content to work natively on it.
    But if you have an android tablet or amazon tablet it can seamlessly cast the content to the fire stick or TV. ( in reality I don't think its actually casting its actually getting the stick or TV to play the content).

Works really well and the tablet screen will give you info on scenes, actors on screen etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Only for UK content. For Irish prime video there is no need to contact Amazon

What do you say to amazon to get them to move you to UK content?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Newport81 wrote: »
    I told them on chat I was in northern Ireland and they didn't immediately

You need to change your address to a UK address. You will need a bank like Revelut if you want to rent movies

I have the fire stick and amazon prime and had to get onto Amazon web chat to allow me to access prime video content on it when used in Ireland.

try on web-chat help and just straight out ask them to change the setting that will make it work for you. try again later to get a different person if they won't help you.

he (amazon web chat person) also said that if I access prime video on another non-amazon device e.g. a laptop that it (setting change) would have to be done again as that would reset the change that he made.

this issue stems from the fact that these fire stick / tv products from the UK site are not sold for shipping to Ireland ( only if you use a redirect service like parcel motel etc ) and the amazon prime content is not configured to work on them when in use in Ireland

being honest the prime video content is not that all that great really.

the fire stick itself can be useful for other services.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

brightkane wrote: »
    I told them on chat I was in northern Ireland and they didn't immediately

That worked for me. How do I check it’s on UK what’s available in UK that isn’t in Ireland?

That worked for me. How do I check it’s on UK what’s available in UK that isn’t in Ireland?

if your fire tv stick is allowing you to access any prime video content it will be on the uk content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Can anyone recommend apps for the Fire Stick? I have Netflix, and youtube, but agree with a poster there that said Amazon Prime video is not great, so don't have that one. Are there any other ones that are worth getting? Thanks.

Can anyone recommend apps for the Fire Stick? I have Netflix, and youtube, but agree with a poster there that said Amazon Prime video is not great, so don't have that one. Are there any other ones that are worth getting? Thanks.

Disney plus. Apple TV plus. Either one or these is worth a month's subscription. Apple 4.99 disney 6.99 I think. I pay for the month & cancel the subscription on one then move onto another streaming app the next month. Apple is probably worth it one month every six months. Disney is the same for adults but well worth the year subscription if you have kids

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

The Lifetime VPN thread gives you a good VPN which starts automatically on the firestick. Transforms your netflix. Also you can change it to UK so bbc player, ITV Hub and C5 catchup work.
    Also you can use rte player along with mouse toggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Sos88sos88

Anyone seeing Firesticks on offer online anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭headnorth

Sos88sos88 wrote: »
    Anyone seeing Firesticks on offer online anywhere?

Tesco uk

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/303149810

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

headnorth wrote: »

Good price, I'm tempted but going to hold out for the HD version whenever the price drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

£29.99 on Amazon this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭kala85

Will the rte player work on this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

northknife wrote: »

Top work.

Another purchased.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Jofspring

kala85 wrote: »

Ya but it's not great. I wouldn't be buying one with that a main intention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

You need last may version from apk and mouse toggle. Works grand if you know what you want to watch, not great for browsing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Does it work on anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

northknife wrote: »

THANK YOU!

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

I only checked on Amazon after I checked here first to see if there was anyone who had checked on Amazon and had posted lower price here :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

does 4k take up a huge amount of bandwidth? isn't there current restrictions in place with people working from home??

fryup wrote: »
    does 4k take up a huge amount of bandwidth?

No.
    isn't there current restrictions in place with people working from home??

Not that I've seen. Still able to watch in Dolby Vision and 4K HDR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

I see Curry's Irish site is still charging 59.99 no reduction in line with the co.uk site

Why not just order from Amazon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Soarer wrote: »
    Why not just order from Amazon?

I'm good, but the buddy ordered one on Wednesday from Curry's , I've told him to return and order from Amazon, up to him if he does or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Cerco

does 4k take up a huge amount of bandwidth? isn't there current restrictions in place with people working from home??

Bandwidth restrictions are controlled by source and network providers. The Firestick has the capacity to use increased bandwidth but will not control the restrictions if implemented.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement