Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A government without FF / FG involved. Has it ever happened?

• 12-09-2019 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Political novice so apologies but has this state ever had an elected government without neither FG / FF involved?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The answer is No. Some version of them or their forerunners has always formed the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭mattser

Long may it last. The alternative is mayhem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

So, has our country ever elected a government not containing either of the 2 parties who usually hold anywhere between 50 and 65% of the votes combined in every election....I'm gonna go with no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

No. It's really quite impressive. They have supporters blaming parties and politicians who never sat in government for everything they don't like, like housing issues, health, standard of living, the myriad crashes and sweet deal wastes of tax payer money. And then we've the 'the others would be worse'. So basically being able to switch from one to the other gives the illusion of change and teaching one a lesson by voting for the other, when they are the same people looking after the same kinds of people for the same reasons.
    When FF get in with FG as the back scratching partner we'll see much the same we do currently. It's all about getting power and keeping any options outside of FF and FG out. FF and FG work together to keep each other as the only viable options. Slick, if not great for the country.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

When FF get in with FG as the back scratching partner we'll see much the same we do currently. It's all about getting power and keeping any options outside of FF and FG out. FF and FG work together to keep each other as the only viable options. Slick, if not great for the country.

Nonsense. FG and FF get in because the represent the views of the majority of the voters in the country. It is as simple as that, no magic or anything else. Either you propose policies the the voters buy into or you don't make the grade end of story.

• Advertisement

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Nonsense. FG and FF get in because the represent the views of the majority of the voters in the country. It is as simple as that, no magic or anything else. Either you propose policies the the voters buy into or you don't make the grade end of story.

I think you are speaking the obvious. Where did I say any different? Just giving my two cents on how two sets of the same blarney take turns conning the electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I think you are speaking the obvious. Where did I say any different? Just giving my two cents on how two sets of the same blarney take turns conning the electorate.

How is the electorate being conned? FG stated before the last election that they were in favour of water charges. They tried to bring it in but as a minority government weren't able to.
    Still became the largest party.

How is the electorate being conned? FG stated before the last election that they were in favour of water charges. They tried to bring it in but as a minority government weren't able to.
    Still became the largest party.

Look having voted for Enda in 2011 in the genuine belief FG were the best option suited to drag us back from the FF created brink. I bought all the no more quangos, change the way we do business, more accountability, end the hospital trolley scandal guff. More fool me. I'm not going to write the very long list of where not only this didn't happen but we went further and since made FF viable again, IMO, by giving them a seat at the table.
    Again, never said they didn't get a lot of votes, was explaining why they (FF/FG) do, IMO. And as a former FG voter, I was conned. I would expect I'm not alone.
    FG have to shoulder responsibility for bringing us right back to square one post melt down. And I say that's just how FF/FG like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,876 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

"I've said it before, and I'll say it again: democracy simply doesn't work"
    - Kent Brockman.

This sums it up for me: "the others will be worse" or "the alternative is mayhem" would actually make very honest party slogans.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nearest we had was an attempt for a Labour led minority government supported by FF externally in 27 - but that is still involvement if they're required to keep the Government intact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The Whigs controlled the last parliament before the act of union in 1800, if that counts.

🙈🙉🙊

Advertisement