Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf - WGC Bridgestone Invitational and Reno Tahoe Open

• 02-08-2011 12:57pm
    Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭

WGC -

Considering a 5th bet or having one on the Reno Tahoe Open where there's some value no doubt, but the four I have already picked are -

Van Pelt @ 40/1
    Garcia @ 40/1
    Haas @ 55/1
    Jacobsen @ 66/

Can't take Stricker @ 16/1 nor Mahan @ 25/1 despite his form around Firestone, the last top 10 of his was back in early May! Cink @ 60/1 was very tempting, and while he was poor in Ireland last week, Clarke on a course he has won on before @ 100/1 I might throw a couple of euro on before Thursday. Gonna stick with two of my consistent bets in Garcia and Jacobsen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Jayo11780

yup....
    i'll have Bill Haas @ 55/1
    also fancy Gary Woodland at 50's...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

actually tempted to back Tiger for the first time ever, e/w of course

• Registered Users Posts: 34,037 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I was going to wait till next week but after Stallings giving me my best win in while I just had to have bet for this week:).

WGC
    Stricker 18/1
    Watney 25/1

Reno
    Scott Piercy 55/1
    Derek Lamely 400/1 bet365..think this is massive price not saying he going win but he better then few 150/1 or so players in field.

Not backing Stallings for first time in 2 or so months:(

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

fowler@46
    moore@100
    hanson@100
    mannasero@150
    sabbatini@150
    [email]wilson@210..hes[/email] 250 now:(..i think his price is huge and way overpriced.
    larrazabal@400.
    big [email]ernie@160..crazy[/email] price
    atwal@860
    GL to all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

woods, woods, woods! e5 O/R and e2 to be first round leader:D
    Garrigus and hunter hass in reno!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

McIllroy, Scott, YE Yang, Clarke and Laird for me this week, have given up on Garcia after backing him for the last three months so dont be suprised to see him bolt in :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Fursttimer

Only two europeans have ever won at Firestone.

Jason Day 40/1 Nick Watney 26/1 & Zach Johnson 55/1 for me this week

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Have gone with McDowell @70s and Wilson @150s.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Win
    Backed Furyk @ 150.0

Top 5
    Backed Mahan @ 8.0
    Backed Vo Ban Pelt @ 9.8
    Layed McIlroy @ 4.6
    Layed Woods @ 5.7

I can't see Woods doing anything this weekend after seeing him limp of the course at the last tournament. He's been good at Firestone over the years yes but these are completely different circumstances and he is probably hoping to just put in a half decent performance ahead of next week. He came 78/80 last year and has just 7 top 10s in his last 22 events (not good by Woods' standards). Considering his injuries you have to wonder how much practice he's been able to put in and I think this week may be a warm up to ensure he'll be able to compete at the major next week.

McIlroy seems distracted by things other than golf at the minute and while it wouldn't surprise me to see him in the top5 I don't think he should be that price by any means. He seems very focused on majors and I suspect he has one eye on next week. I can see him finishing between 10-20 and just putting in an ok/solid warm up type performance (or so I hope :D).

Mahan and Bo Van Pelt have been consistent all year so it wouldn't surprise me to see them competing at the top of the leaderboard. Mahan has a good record on this course finishing top 5 in '09 and winning it on '10. BVP came Top5 last year (3rd?) and has probably been the most consistent player on the tour this year.

Furyk has a good record around this course and at that price why not. I don't expect him to win it or anything like that but he does look greatly overpriced even if he isn't too hot at the minute. Class is permanent, form is fickle!

jive i honestly dont know what to make of tiger here..i backed him three times on his return (took him at 35 on the final day at the masters)..bar the masters final round surge hes been pretty disappointing..im mad to see him return to somewhat of his old form because the man was savage to watch controlling tournys at his will.

thing is he could be a great back to lay..two birdies and hes single digits i reckon..ive went to back him a few times and pulled back since monday..

i think the break will have done him good..with ditching the caddie it all looks like a clean fresh start for him..once his head is finally right..its wheelbarrow time in following tiger to the big bucks once again.

• Advertisement

I agree. I think McIlroy (while a very good and consistent player) is being blown out of proportion just because there is nobody dominating the sport and people think golf needs that (and it probably does to some extent). Woods is untouchable on his day and I think that he will dominate again once he's fit and able. I don't think he's good enough to just turn up and place in the top 5 in this day and age. All the other players have been playing all year and practicing consistently. I think it will take Woods a few tournaments to get back in the swing of things. I can't see him just turning up this week with a lack of practice (and probably niggling injury) and beat the worlds top players.

I just don't think he should be as short as he is. Woods could turn up and blow them all away but he hasn't done that in 2 years and I see no reason why after being injured that he will do it this weekend!

I agree about him being a good back to lay. The risk there is will he turn up at all though, he could drop a few in the front 9 and just fade into obscurity. I'm taking the risk that he won't put in a big performance and at that price I think it's worth taking regardless of how good he's been on this course over the years - just because I think these are vastly different circumstances to every other year with the exception of last year where he did really bad

jive wrote: »
    I agree. I think McIlroy (while a very good and consistent player) is being blown out of proportion just because there is nobody dominating the sport and people think golf needs that (and it probably does to some extent). Woods is untouchable on his day and I think that he will dominate again once he's fit and able. I don't think he's good enough to just turn up and place in the top 5 in this day and age. All the other players have been playing all year and practicing consistently. I think it will take Woods a few tournaments to get back in the swing of things. I can't see him just turning up this week with a lack of practice (and probably niggling injury) and beat the worlds top players.

I just don't think he should be as short as he is. Woods could turn up and blow them all away but he hasn't done that in 2 years and I see no reason why after being injured that he will do it this weekend!

I agree about him being a good back to lay. The risk there is will he turn up at all though, he could drop a few in the front 9 and just fade into obscurity. I'm taking the risk that he won't put in a big performance and at that price I think it's worth taking regardless of how good he's been on this course over the years - just because I think these are vastly different circumstances to every other year with the exception of last year where he did really bad

rorys prices are a joke imo..and it looks like its all going to his head already..pity because he has some serious talent if he could ditch the circus around him and concentrate on his golf..

pretty fair statement.:cool:

Cue a McIlroy/Woods 1/2!

Anyway I'll have my fingers crossed cause I can speculate all I want but you never know :D I put some good thought into my selections anyway so hopefully it'll pay off.

Good luck :D

same to you jive..good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭zimmermania

put a few euro on mahan,z johnson,ohair,goosen,oosthuizen and jiminez (huge price on bf) win only and hope to lay if any of them do ok in bridgestone.dimarco and hayes reno

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭frat

I think Tiger is in a different mind frame now then he was over the past 2years. Really wouldn't be surprised to see him challenge this week. I have a feeling about McIlroy aswell, he just came out and said he prefers the States and thinks it suits his game better so if his head believes it he could also challenge. Gonna go with 50 on both! Also having a speculative punt on McDowell, article in bettingzone convinced me.
    Best of luck all

I think Tiger is in a different mind frame now then he was over the past 2years. Really wouldn't be surprised to see him challenge this week. I have a feeling about McIlroy aswell, he just came out and said he prefers the States and thinks it suits his game better so if his head believes it he could also challenge. Gonna go with 50 on both! Also having a speculative punt on McDowell, article in bettingzone convinced me.
    Best of luck all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭seathestar

WGC Bridgestone

Win/Place

Bubba Watson
    Jason Day

Reno Tahoe

Josh Teater Win/Place
    Chez Reavie Win

Good Luck Everyone :D

frat wrote: »
    Best of luck all
    McIlroys on off on again and now off again relationship with Holly Sweeney cant be good for his golf and now that he has hooked up with danish tennis star Caroline Wozniacki suggests that he might be worth taking on until his extra curricular activities have steadied a bit.Changing tours and women suggests some confusion in his head and his mind might not be fully fogussed just now so for me he is a lay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Got a good feeling about Woods this week, same feeling I had about Dyson at the Irish so I am deffo throwing down a couple of quid on the Tiger

• Advertisement

tiger get skelped in, on the exchange on betfair..second favourite now in the market @16.

Best of luck all
    McIlroys on off on again and now off again relationship with Holly Sweeney cant be good for his golf and now that he has hooked up with danish tennis star Caroline Wozniacki suggests that he might be worth taking on until his extra curricular activities have steadied a bit.Changing tours and women suggests some confusion in his head and his mind might not be fully fogussed just now so for me he is a lay

Hooked up with Wozniacki! She made one comment on twitter about sitting beside him, no pictures of the 2of them together it's all media bs hype.
    With ur history of laying I'm delighted I'm on him now!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mufc2010

WGC Bridgestone

lee westwood 3ew 16/1
    phil 5ew 20/1
    hunter 2 ew 25/1

Reno Tahoe
    Cauley, Bud @2 ew @ 22/1[/URL]

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Degag wrote: »
    Have gone with McDowell @70s and Wilson @150s.
    Have added O'Haire (50s) and Mickelson (22s) to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,037 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I was going to wait till next week but after Stallings giving me my best win in while I just had to have bet for this week:).

WGC
    Stricker 18/1
    Watney 25/1

Reno
    Scott Piercy 55/1
    Derek Lamely 400/1 bet365..think this is massive price not saying he going win but he better then few 150/1 or so players in field.

Not backing Stallings for first time in 2 or so months:(

Added Bud Cauldy too for Reno

Hooked up with Wozniacki! She made one comment on twitter about sitting beside him, no pictures of the 2of them together it's all media bs hype.
    MY my touchy,we shall see.Imerely suggested that McIlroys mind might not be totally on the job and as favourite he is bad value.I laid him because i dont fancy him and thats the beauty of betfair its all about opinions and we get the opportunity to support our opinions with cash and one ought not to get personal.If i am wrong i lose a few quid,if i am right i get a few quid and a forum such as this allows us to express an opinion.

I believe there was a pic of them eating together and then kissing when departing ways on the street. Not sure what relevance this has though or whether or not they hooked up!

Plus if anything wanting to smash Wozniacki will make him try to impress her by playing good golf :P Unless he's already done the business in which case the goddess like mental imagery would certainly be a distraction.
    hubba hubba

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Day better not be peaking! One of my picks for the PGA like the last 4 Majors! Got him at 33/1. Drifted to 28/1 with PP.

solid start from the tiger..

great to see him back on the course..he was truely missed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭jjll

did garrigus in reno at least he is consistent

Advertisement