Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Samsung Galaxy S II

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

For some reason I'm not receiving emails from my yahoo account or my hotmail account anymore,has this happened anyone else?

I take it you downloaded the Yahoo mail app from the market?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Zagato wrote: »
    Wipe data/Factory reset doesn't wipe stuuff on your internal SD, just apps, settings, texts and contacts stored on your phone.

I would say probably flash the ROM, then the kernel, it only really matters though if the ROM has its own kernel in the ZIP, and you want to use a different one, then you news to flash kernel after obviously.

Thanks Zagato, I wanted to start afresh with this ROM so reformatted the internal SD before copying over the ROM and Kernel ZIP's then did the factory wipe, cache wipes, battery stat wipes etc and then first flashing the ROM via CWM, reboot etc then flashing the beta Kernel. All in all very painless + MyBackUp Pro reinstalled all my apps and app data + SMS's so all in all pretty happy. I have to reinstall wi-fi networks and bluetooth connections but that's not a biggie and a good bit of housekeeping actually as I'd too many connections for each.

The CheckROM Kitchen App seems to be a real big differentiator over other ROM's I've tried. VR have something similar with their VR Tweaks app but it's nowhere near as user friendly or comprehensive.

The guys behind CheckRom Revolution ROM and the Siyah v2.1-DarkKnight Beta1 seem very committed and their goals are max performance with max battery life which are what I'm after also.

After 12 hours on the ROM I think this one is a long term keeper.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I upgraded to the leaked official firmware XXKI3 2.3.5 Gingerbread but I keep getting random reboots. It seemed to work fine for a while but now I'm getting reboots maybe twice or three times a day.

Anybody else getting this?

Ush1 wrote: »
    I upgraded to the leaked official firmware XXKI3 2.3.5 Gingerbread but I keep getting random reboots. It seemed to work fine for a while but now I'm getting reboots maybe twice or three times a day.

Anybody else getting this?

How did you go about it?

lewis wrote: »
    How did you go about it?

Followed this:

http://androidflip.com/install-android-2-3-5-gingerbread-xxki3-update-for-samsung-galaxy-s2-gt-i9100-installing-guide/

Then followed the rooting guide, and the guide to get rid of the yellow triangle. All seemed to go fine.

• Advertisement

Followed this:

http://androidflip.com/install-android-2-3-5-gingerbread-xxki3-update-for-samsung-galaxy-s2-gt-i9100-installing-guide/

Then followed the rooting guide, and the guide to get rid of the yellow triangle. All seemed to go fine.

Sometimes a second flash does solve problems, I have read that also random reboots could be kernel related, maybe you go try another kernel?

lewis wrote: »
    Sometimes a second flash does solve problems, I have read that also random reboots could be kernel related, maybe you go try another kernel?

I might try reflash it. Some people reckon it's an sd card that could cause it.

I might try reflash it. Some people reckon it's an sd card that could cause it.

Yeah, some people do take out there SD card and SIM when flashing, I`ve never done it, but it could`nt hurt either if you gave it a go...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

BenEadir wrote: »
    Thanks Zagato, I wanted to start afresh with this ROM so reformatted the internal SD before copying over the ROM and Kernel ZIP's then did the factory wipe, cache wipes, battery stat wipes etc and then first flashing the ROM via CWM, reboot etc then flashing the beta Kernel. All in all very painless + MyBackUp Pro reinstalled all my apps and app data + SMS's so all in all pretty happy. I have to reinstall wi-fi networks and bluetooth connections but that's not a biggie and a good bit of housekeeping actually as I'd too many connections for each.

The CheckROM Kitchen App seems to be a real big differentiator over other ROM's I've tried. VR have something similar with their VR Tweaks app but it's nowhere near as user friendly or comprehensive.

The guys behind CheckRom Revolution ROM and the Siyah v2.1-DarkKnight Beta1 seem very committed and their goals are max performance with max battery life which are what I'm after also.

After 12 hours on the ROM I think this one is a long term keeper.

Ben

My 2 favourite things about Cyanogenmod are:
    1. Editing buttons on the Status bar drop down menu
    2. Switching 2G/3G with a single click

Can you do that on CheckRom? If so I'd definitely give it a try

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Zagato wrote: »
    My 2 favourite things about Cyanogenmod are:
    1. Editing buttons on the Status bar drop down menu
    2. Switching 2G/3G with a single click

Can you do that on CheckRom? If so I'd definitely give it a try

Not sure what "Editing buttons on the Status Bar drop down menu" means or what it does (can you elaborate?)

Not sure if there is a 2G/3G toggle option in the Kitchen App tweaks somewhere but the 2G/3G toggle is easily achieved in one click by using https://market.android.com/details?id=com.farproc.data.enabler&feature=search_result

Ben

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Not sure what "Editing buttons on the Status Bar drop down menu" means or what it does (can you elaborate?)

Not sure if there is a 2G/3G toggle option in the Kitchen App tweaks somewhere but the 2G/3G toggle is easily achieved in one click by using https://market.android.com/details?id=com.farproc.data.enabler&feature=search_result

Ben

I mean the pull down menu from the status bar, so it doesn't matter what screen or (most) app I am in I can change settings such as Mobile data-2G/3G-Airplane mode - and torch

Anyways I just think that it is a very useful customisation facility for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

When I try sending text messages since last night, my phone keeps telling "Failed". However I can recieve messages. Any ideas???.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

When I try sending text messages since last night, my phone keeps telling "Failed". However I can recieve messages. Any ideas???.

Sorry folks I am confessing to be a numbnuts. Lack of credit was the problem

You got credit?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

Ben

2G/3G is a toggle between WCDMA and GSM is it not?

There are plenty of mobile data toggles out there, but if I had one click to put my phone on GSM when i am out and about Im sure my battery would get less chewed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Mine arrived from Amazon yesterday.

Just wondering what's the story with all this rooting business?? What are the major advantages of it??

djPSB wrote: »
    Mine arrived from Amazon yesterday.

Just wondering what's the story with all this rooting business?? What are the major advantages of it??

Google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PTO

Hey all....
    I'm having trouble with my Galaxy S2. In my messages when I create a sms and such, the picture on my friends list is not showing in my inbox. Is there a fix to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

PTO wrote: »
    Hey all....
    I'm having trouble with my Galaxy S2. In my messages when I create a sms and such, the picture on my friends list is not showing in my inbox. Is there a fix to this?

Try changing your numbers in the Contacts to +353851234567 instead of 0851234567?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Lovephones

Just got a galaxy s 2 today but im not sure if I should keep it or not , I have had an iphone for the last few years and use an imac at home and from what Ive read kies is not great friends with the imac , is anyone using an s2 with a mac and would you reccomend I take the plunge and open the box :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

What do you need to connect it to your computer for?

robinph wrote: »
    What do you need to connect it to your computer for?
    I asume for putting music etcc on to the phone and for backing up the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Lovephones wrote: »
    I asume for putting music etcc on to the phone and for backing up the phone?

You can do all that wirelessly. This ain't no iPhone, it's a few steps above and beyond. Oh I see, iMac, well....

You made bed now lay in it. In the mean time get a real PC.

Nah, you will have to google the work around for using it with a iMac, I'm not up to date with Apple work arounds. One reason why I ditched the iPhone.

You can do all that wirelessly. This ain't no iPhone, it's a few steps above and beyond.
    Im completely clueless with andriod :o
    Is kies what I would need to do it wirelessly ?

You can do all that wirelessly. This ain't no iPhone, it's a few steps above and beyond. Oh I see, iMac, well....

You made bed now lay in it. In the mean time get a real PC.

Nah, you will have to google the work around for using it with a iMac, I'm not up to date with Apple work arounds. One reason why I ditched the iPhone.

Thanks ill have a look around , getting sick of the iphone too was holding out to see would there be a 5 but the 4s is a really bad upgrade , thanks for your help:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Lovephones wrote: »
    Im completely clueless with andriod :o
    Is kies what I would need to do it wirelessly ?

You'll create a Google account, if you haven't got one already, then the phone will be syncing all the contacts/ calendar to Gmail for you.

You can set the phone to act as a mini webserver in your home network, the app Kies Air, and then you can just browse the phone and transfer files from a browser window on your iMac.

You'll create a Google account, if you haven't got one already, then the phone will be syncing all the contacts/ calendar to Gmail for you.

You can set the phone to act as a mini webserver in your home network, the app Kies Air, and then you can just browse the phone and transfer files from a browser window on your iMac.

Cheers for that , already sync my iphone with my google account so that should be perfect ,
    Ill download kies now and set it up , Thanks again for the help

Doing it through the browser means that you don't actually need the full version of Kies. You can't do some of the functions of the full version through the browser obviously, like the firmware upgrades, but if you can't get the software working with the iMac then it will probably get you by for most stuff.

Doing it through the browser means that you don't actually need the full version of Kies. You can't do some of the functions of the full version through the browser obviously, like the firmware upgrades, but if you can't get the software working with the iMac then it will probably get you by for most stuff.

Would you know if theres an app on the andriod market that lets me stream my videos from the mac, I use airvideo on the iphone , just wondering if theres anything similar for the galaxy s2 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Just updated mine to 2.3.5 it's on 3. Can anyone tell me what the update brings as I can't notice any difference, thanks

Advertisement