Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Screen got wet - what to do?

• 16-09-2010 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭

Hi, as per the title - there was a small leak in the ceiling above the table I left my laptop on while I was at home and some water dripped on to the screen. It went in to the corner of the screen and now there is a black circle like an ink blob in the corner and some lines going across the bottom of the screen also.

Basically I'd like to know is it totally over for this screen. It happened yesterday morning but hasn't improved and in fact the blob got bigger.

laptop is just over a month old so pretty p*ssed off.

Anyone know if it is costly to fix - large screen about 18 inches Toshiba Qosmio

thanks for any advice - will go in to the shop i bought it from over the weekend when i get a chance also

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Freeman

As you just bought it, they may fix it for you although unless you bought that silly insurance some companies are always throwing at you, the manufacturer's warranty may not cover this.

If it was me, I would hook up a Monitor to see if there where any display problems as this tells you if the inside of the computer, particularly the video chip was damaged. Bring it in to where you bought it and see if they will fix it under warranty or insurance (if you bought it).

If they won't replace the screen, it's not hard to do but requires taking the screen apart and replacing it. I have a 4 year old Toshiba Equium that I replaced the screen in a month ago. I don't think its possible to fix the screen itself. Of course being a Toshiba it might right itself. My Equium recovered from a whiskey spill on the keyboard last Christmas and has come back from some unbelievable situations. Japanese laptops are very well made in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Freeman wrote: »
    As you just bought it, they may fix it for you although unless you bought that silly insurance some companies are always throwing at you, the manufacturer's warranty may not cover this.

If it was me, I would hook up a Monitor to see if there where any display problems as this tells you if the inside of the computer, particularly the video chip was damaged. Bring it in to where you bought it and see if they will fix it under warranty or insurance (if you bought it).

If they won't replace the screen, it's not hard to do but requires taking the screen apart and replacing it. I have a 4 year old Toshiba Equium that I replaced the screen in a month ago. I don't think its possible to fix the screen itself. Of course being a Toshiba it might right itself. My Equium recovered from a whiskey spill on the keyboard last Christmas and has come back from some unbelievable situations. Japanese laptops are very well made in my opinion.

a broken led screen will not fix it self so get that out of the way for starters..!

the manufacturers will know it was not a normal defect so its unlikely they will fix it for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭pawrick

thanks for the replies

I've been ringing around and basically told it's fecked and needs a new screen - luckily the water only got on the screen and no other part of the laptop - literally a few drops fell on it before I spotted it and moved the laptop so I was just unlucky overall. ah well....

just for info - quotes I got so far in Dublin City range from around the 200 to 400 mark for the new screen incl. labour!?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Freeman

just for info - quotes I got so far in Dublin City range from around the 200 to 400 mark for the new screen incl. labour!?

225 is the most I would pay someone to do it including parts & labour. You didn't mention which model you have but you can get a replacement screen for most Qosmio 18" laptops on ebay for approx €150.

With the quotes you are getting consider whether the screen they supply is a new one or a refurbished one and that their work is good and guaranteed. If you trust the place you bought it, it might be a good idea to ask them what it would cost to replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

To be honest, unless water is actually sploshing about in the screen or it's osomehow therwise really obvious that it was damaged by water, then I think you should try bringing it back and claim ignorance. If it's only a month old then it'll be well under warranty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

try to get it under home contents insurance!

anyway,screen gone,time for another...sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭MrDarcy

OP check out www.midlandweb.ie, as far as I know they do laptop screen repair, a mate of mine runs the business, I think he is upgrading the site but look him up on Facebook for more info...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

150 - 170 to get screen replaced dont think water did this , probably when it was moved from the water

Advertisement