Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you spend a month before you actually buy anything?

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

What plan are you on? My guess is a Pre pay one? Then €20 is about right but you have to pay for the phone in full which is grand if you don't buy the latest and greatest phone which costs about €1000-1200.

Obviously the person paying €60 is on a bill pay contract.
    It is €60/month for the only unlimited internet phone plan and probably paying about €150 upfront for the phone instead of approx. €1000 to buy it outright.

Yeah pre pay with three. My phone is worth over a grand but luckily we get big discounts on phones through work. That said I would never pay over a grand for it i didn’t get the discount! Nor would I get a phone on contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I just remembered I'm also paying 10 or 12 Euro for Irish Times subscription. And it supposed to be something similar for The Times only I can't even find it now. There are also direct debits to subsidise kid's drinking in college that go into their accounts.

I should really start budgeting and cancel kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin Mum

We're overpaying our mortgage by about €400 per month, so mortgage will be cleared by the time kids start college. Plan is for hubby to retire in his early 50's.
    With cheap interest rates (we're on a tracker) I wonder is it worth our while and will we be penalised for 3rd level grants with having no mortgage. Must look into the criteria for SUSI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

Dublin Mum wrote: »
    We're overpaying our mortgage by about €400 per month, so mortgage will be cleared by the time kids start college. Plan is for hubby to retire in his early 50's.
    With cheap interest rates (we're on a tracker) I wonder is it worth our while and will we be penalised for 3rd level grants with having no mortgage. Must look into the criteria for SUSI.

genuinely not having a go at you here, but if you can afford to over pay your mortgage by 400 euro then you shouldn't qualify for a grant,

again, really not getting at you but the whole SUSI is completely messed up, I know people struggling to make ends meet who don't qualify due to both working etc...

the whole thing needs a revamp, but that's for another thread I suppose

RFOLEY1990 wrote: »
    genuinely not having a go at you here, but if you can afford to over pay your mortgage by 400 euro then you shouldn't qualify for a grant,

again, really not getting at you but the whole SUSI is completely messed up, I know people struggling to make ends meet who don't qualify due to both working etc...

the whole thing needs a revamp, but that's for another thread I suppose

That €400 comes from cutbacks elsewhere- we have no car loans, no tv subscriptions, etc. We'd still qualify for a SUSI grant either way based on OH's salary- I just checked.

"Not having a go" but perhaps we're just a bit better at managing our money than others?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Dublin Mum wrote: »
    That €400 comes from cutbacks elsewhere- we have no car loans, no tv subscriptions, etc. We'd still qualify for a SUSI grant either way based on OH's salary- I just checked.

"Not having a go" but perhaps we're just a bit better at managing our money than others?

A head well screwed on.

I triple pay my mortgage myself.

In fairness being on tracker by itself probably saves you about 400 Euro or more per month.

meeeeh wrote: »
    In fairness being on tracker by itself probably saves you about 400 Euro or more per month.

suppose this makes sense

Our timing was better than some too- bought in 2003, so mortgage probably considered modest compared to many; so that combined with the tracker rate leaves room for a €400 overpayment.
    We haven't had a tv subscription in years, cars bought outright so that leaves a lot of surplus. No childcare costs either.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

How does one get a tracker Mortgage?

I am in the process of switching myself as it says I can get around 120 less a month, over 2 years less also!!!!!

• Advertisement

I am in the process of switching myself as it says I can get around 120 less a month, over 2 years less also!!!!!

you've more chance of a Nigerian Prince leaving you something in his will

• Registered Users Posts: 14,101 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Get a time machine and go back to 2006.

You know the Celtic tiger when banks were throwing money at people and then needed to be bailed out because interest charged was lower than the interest banks were paying for their borrowing? That's when you could get tracker mortgage and there is a reason why they are not available anymore. Ours is 0.6% or 0.8% + ECB rate and currently either 0.85% or 1.05%. I can't remember but in any case it's not making any money to PTSB.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

On what planet is 400 euro a crazy amount for a car repayment? It’s a very normal amount.

It's a very high monthly outgoing for a car. I would like more details on the car loan i.e. initial cost, term, 2nd hand? If it's one of those PCP jobs, the OP should feel duped.

I have only bought cars for cash. I would never ever buy a new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

It's a very high monthly outgoing for a car. I would like more details on the car loan i.e. initial cost, term, 2nd hand? If it's one of those PCP jobs, the OP should feel duped.

That's the culture in this country of buying a new car that you can't afford. If you're paying 400 a month and having to scrimp on other things in life then it's not worth it. Crazy money.

That's the culture in this country of buying a new car that you can't afford. If you're paying 400 a month and having to scrimp on other things in life then it's not worth it. Crazy money.

I don't disagree but some people have such a long commute due to the housing situation is that they have no choice but to pay high amounts for reliability

of course, there are then who simply live beyond their means

It's a very high monthly outgoing for a car. I would like more details on the car loan i.e. initial cost, term, 2nd hand? If it's one of those PCP jobs, the OP should feel duped...........

What's wrong with PCP?
    58% ish of the price paid over the first 3 years........ if you get low rate or 0% it's a decent way to finance a car.
    They should only feel duped if they don't realise how it works........ even at that they aren't duped as such, ther're just paying almost 60% of a cars purchase price over the first 3 years and they need to sort out the remaining 40% ish before they own it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

I don't disagree but some people have such a long commute due to the housing situation is that they have no choice but to pay high amounts for reliability

Most I know of have very short commutes to work. I think some people feel the pressure into buying a 182 or 191 car.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,224 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Arent you glad others can afford new cars, otherwise you would not have a second hand car to buy :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I have a long commute c. 1100km per week and that’s why I don’t have a new car. I’m already paying €600 per month in fuel and tolls, no way I’m going to add another €400 for reliability.

My trusty 2010 Insignia does it fine with regular servicing and maintenance.

Now, an EV with 220km+ range would cost about the same over 5 years so I’m currently considering the Kona which would be close to cost neutral.

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    Arent you glad others can afford new cars, otherwise you would not have a second hand car to buy :pac:

Correct. I will happily buy a 2 year old car knowing the original buyer took the hit on the initial depreciation which can be severe.

Correct. I will happily buy a 2 year old car knowing the original buyer took the hit on the initial depreciation which can be severe.

The last 2 year old car you bought, what % of the new price did you pay for it?

Augeo wrote: »
    The last 2 year old car you bought, what % of the new price did you pay for it?

64%.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

Rent - 0 (covered by company)
    Pension - 850 (PRSA)
    Holiday Fund - 150
    Savings Account for Deposit - 2200/2500 (except the month when I go on big holiday it is spent on that)
    Parents - 250
    Medical Bills - 270
    Transport - 0 (covered by Company)
    Netflix - 13 (I think)
    Charities - 15
    Website and Maintenance - 125
    Phone - 45/50

john4321 wrote: »
    Get a time machine and go back to 2006.

If I could do that I would re-engage that chap who told me early out to buy share in a certain search engine.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭con___manx1

McGaggs wrote: »
    This planet. I've never had a car loan.

Good for you but some people love cars. Your either rich or driving a banger.

Good for you but some people love cars. Your either rich or driving a banger.

Everything is relative I suppose. I earn around 55K a year but I need a car for work. I also get back around 8-10K a year in expenses so my car loan is essentially well covered.

if you are on 150K a year then a 500 a month car loan is small beans!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭homosapien91

PHG wrote: »
    Rent - 0 (covered by company)

Transport - 0 (covered by Company)

Any jobs going in your company?

Advertisement