Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you think nurses will get their payrise?

Comments

Cant see that happening. Sure pay is the same for physiotherapy, SALT, OT no matter if degree or masters. Did content or duration of course change from diploma to degree much for nursing I dont know.
    If that happened people with 4-5 years experience would be on more money then nurses with 17 or 18 years experience who would have far more clinical experience . That would make no sense whatsoever imo

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that most nurses who qualified before the degree requirement, have subsequently had their diploma converted into degrees. I would say there's only a minority who haven't done so, but even they probably have various certifications in clinical practice. In any event, pascales ensure that they'd still be paid substantially more than recent graduates.

Whatever the solution is, I am pretty sure it won't be a direct pay increase, but an alternative way will be found to achieve precisely that.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭feckthisgenie

Cbumkin wrote: »
    Ha ha ha!!!! I am a nurse !!!!! I get paid fortnightly!!!! Who is spouting the nonsense now?

Obviously depending on part of the country. I'm AHP and was paid fortnightly in Dublin and now monthly down the country . I know the nurses in my area are monthly and HCA fortnightly

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Labour court are stuck here guys. I reckon they won't have scope to intervene. Nurses have broken an agreement they signed up to. They should be punished in line with the rules for breaking that agreement. Ask yourselves why the other nurses unions aren't striking.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Cbumkin

hawkelady wrote: »
    Wrong ... a masters is not required for a nurse to achieve any managerial position ..
    Why oh why do you spout such nonsense?

Again repeat....ha ha ha ha ha!!!! Any nurse trying to get an administrative management post (as opposed to a clinical management post) without a masters would have an extremely slim chance....if indeed they'd have a chance at all. With the increased educational profile of nurses, the standard required for promotion has got higher and higher. A degree on its own today will get you nowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Philster

Cbumkin wrote: »
    Every nurse I know is paid fortnightly. Perhaps at the higher echelons (assistant director of nursing level and higher......of which there are too many imo ) they are paid monthly
    I'm a staff nurse almost 23 years and I have only ever been paid monthly, regardless of where I worked or my employer. Same for all my colleagues. I think some nurses on temporary contract are paid fortnightly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Far too much emphasis on “reputation” and “public opinion”.
    When you strike you put all that kind of rubbish aside and fight only for what you want.
    Individual nurses will stick to what the Union want them to stick to.

So are you saying that nurses are Me Féiners :)
    Labour court are stuck here guys. I reckon they won't have scope to intervene. Nurses have broken an agreement they signed up to. They should be punished in line with the rules for breaking that agreement. Ask yourselves why the other nurses unions aren't striking.

They're in a pickle alright. You either have an agreement or you don't. The pressure on the INMO executive must be pretty severe.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Does anybody know what happens to people who have outpatient appointments cancelled because of the strike? Do they get their appointments rescheduled as a priority or do they go to the back of the queue again?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Philster wrote: »
    I'm a staff nurse almost 23 years and I have only ever been paid monthly, regardless of where I worked or my employer. Same for all my colleagues. I think some nurses on temporary contract are paid fortnightly.

I was paid monthly for years .I was a permanent senior staff nurse

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Afaik Nurses are looking to clause 3 and 4 of the agreement to argue that they arent in breach.

It's a bit academic as we are looking at a current agreement up to 2020 - so if you take the strict legal view that they shouldnt get anything now - then they can still come back in 20 months time.

I've seen claims that the way the Government handled the pay commision is potentially in breach of the agreement.

Is there not a court that can test all this??????

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Does anybody know what happens to people who have outpatient appointments cancelled because of the strike? Do they get their appointments rescheduled as a priority or do they go to the back of the queue again?

I got mine moved to 5th of March. Just a month.

That will probably depend on how busy some departments are. Doubt it will be back of the queue, more likely they will squeeze you in to the first available slot. Got the letter 2 days after my original appointment so fair play to them for gett ing it rearranged so quickly.

• Advertisement

Philster wrote: »

No doubting that but I know different. Plenty paid monthly

Clause 3 and 4 arguement

Clause 3 - if anything is done to address recruitment and selection and selection then no sector claims will be entered.

Clause 4 new nurse Pay to be addressed after the agreement.

Nurses are probably going to argue that NOTHING has been done on recruitment and selection so a sector claim can still go in.

Under Clause 4 - the new nurse pay was apparently to be adressed after the agreement. Basically after the agreement end in 2020. But is now claimed to be being solved under the agreement. Hence opening the door to a why not solve the wider pay claim during the term of this agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

We are prioritising, that is only the right thing to do. We send out appt letters about 3 weeks ahead so they won't be waiting too long thankfully even though there was no reason for our clinic to be cancelled at all due to the lack of nursing involvement. Again, no local HSE consultation before blanket cancellations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Wrong .... nurses are paid monthly ...
    why oh why do you spout nonsense ?

This isn’t correct. In the hospital I work in currently, everyone is paid fortnightly, nurses included. It’s a hse hosp. The last hospital I worked in was voluntary, and everyone was paid monthly. So it depends on your hospital

Nurses have bitten off more than they expected.
    Public support is waning.
    Leo is holding strong.
    Vive la resistancé!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

jlm29 wrote: »
    This isn’t correct. In the hospital I work in currently, everyone is paid fortnightly, nurses included. It’s a hse hosp. The last hospital I worked in was voluntary, and everyone was paid monthly. So it depends on your hospital

I’m aware , I clarified my post early this morning .. just to say a large % of nurses are paid monthly ..

Leo is holding strong.
    Vive la resistancé!!

Oh right ... throw up a link there regarding the public support ... or is it the voice in your head that’s telling you this ??

Oh right ... throw up a link there regarding the public support ... or is it the voice in your head that’s telling you this ??

Did I touch a nerve.
    Don't worry dear, you won't go cold or hungry. Why don't you work on improving your use of sophistry.

Did I touch a nerve.
    Don't worry dear, you won't go cold or hungry. Why don't you work on improving your use of sophistry.

No nerve touched ... I just like to correct lies , that’s all. Any sign of the link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,429 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Leo is holding strong.
    Vive la resistancé!!

“Public support is waning” ha ha

The public change like the wind. They will support/oppose something today but will do the opposite when it suits.
    The purpose of a strike is to make things hard for the public otherwise they wouldn’t notice it. The public will swing towards blaming either side as they see fit BUT one thing is certain — they will need nurses before they need a TD.

All the nurses have to do is stick at what they’re at and maybe increase the strike days.

Leo is holding strong.
    Vive la resistancé!!

I think poor Brendan is in his wee bubble if he thinks this. Support is most definitely there and him along with his blinkered friends david37, alloywheel and road_high are in the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Nurses have bitten off more than they expected. Public support is waning. Leo is holding strong. Vive la resistancé!!
    Public support is not waning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I'm supporting the nurses, as they really looked after me when I was in hospital
    for a few days at Christmas 2017 with cellulitis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

eagle eye wrote: »
    Public support is not waning.

I didn't think public support was that strong really. It's all finger in the wind stuff anyway, there's no good hard data I've seen.

To be honest, I think intermittent strike should be illegal. All out or nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

I think nurses have a tough job as i saw when i was in hospital over xmas 2016, something i wouldn't like to do but i still dont think they deserve a payrise as i think they are paid very well and many jobs are tough that get paid alot less.

Example of jobs?

Many private sector jobs that dont have near the benefits and pay that nurses have, fishermen, refuse collectors, mechanics, firefighter(not private sector i know) etc. Do you want me to go on. Dont try make out that nursing is the toughest job in the world.

I see you came to your senses and deleted your message about examples of tougher jobs than nurses feckthisgenie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Emperor Leo is holding strong.
    Long live the Empire!!

FYP…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    Many private sector jobs that dont have near the benefits and pay that nurses have, fishermen, refuse collectors, mechanics, firefighter(not private sector i know) etc. Do you want me to go on. Dont try make out that nursing is the toughest job in the world.

you clearly haven't a notion what the benefits and pay of firefighters are. I'd love a month off in the summer and six weeks off in the winter. the salary is pretty decent as well.

Advertisement