Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Favourite/Least Favourite UK accents??

Options

Comments

Most really - cannot understand the N.I. accent hate. Yum!

The only one I really dislike is the strong south-west England accent: "Oi've got a brand new comboine 'arvester", Vicky Pollard etc.

It’s very difficult to take any one seriously when they sound like Worzel Gummidge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Aegir wrote: »
    It’s very difficult to take any one seriously when they sound like Worzel Gummidge
    I should have sympathy, being from Cork, but I reserve that sympathy for people from Liverpool. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Scottish accents of course like Irish accents vary wildly. Worked with a Scottish man once where his employment was short lived but couldn't understand a single word. On the other hand I was talking to a guy from Edinburgh just the other day and he sounded like The Bodyguard star. He looked like him as well coincidently. Quite strong but in no way difficult to decipher. Quite liked it actually.

In fact thats my answer to favorite, Edinburgh . Least favorite, well it would be hard to pick the worst. Brummie (Birmingham) /Scouser (Liverpool) really grates I feel. Joint Worst. No actually, I'll give it to Scouser. Steven Gerrard's, the footy player, is so whiney. It's like the accent is a by-product of living for years in a deprived area when generations before do noting but complain about their lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

When them girls from Geordie Shore talk I want to get sick, it has to be the worst

When them girls from Geordie Shore talk I want to get sick, it has to be the worst
    I actually like that accent when it's milder. But yeah, as with any accent (whether posh or not) when it's TOO strong, it's grating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I like the sound of the Birmingham accent.

Arghus wrote: »
    I like the sound of the Birmingham accent.
    The heavy metal accent!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Spleerbun

Have some friends from Burnley and quite like their accent, guess that might be close to a Manchester accent? And Im also a fan of the Scouse accent too tbh, so I seem to be the polar opposite of the people polled!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I like the soft NI accent, not the Belfast, which sounds harsh. I'm originally from the south of England, Thames Valley, which isn't too bad. My cousins call this country "Eye-lind", which really irritates me.

Very interesting poll results. I wonder how different the results might have been back in the 1970s or 80s when relations were weak between these two countries and the IRA were setting off bombs in England.

My Dad worked over there during a lot of that time, and deliberately altered his accent for the avoidance of grief. Not just because of the IRA, but because of a wider suspicion of Irish people in his field of work (construction - a lot of people wouldn't have taken 'Paddy' seriously, even knowing he was an engineer, or whatever)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

My favourite would be a gentle Bristolian/West Country chunter, as in James May. Eastenders-style "shut it you slaaaag!!" accents make me want to kick things. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Any accent that pronounces Graph “Graff”.

****ing Philistines.

It’s grap-eh, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

That one's news to me. I may be an idiot but in all my working life I've never heard it pronounced like anything other than graf.

That one's news to me. I may be an idiot but in all my working life I've never heard it pronounced like anything other than graf.

Graph, rhymes with laugh.

About 12 miles north west of Birmingham is the town of Dudley, where the accent is like a Brummie accent on steroids. It's ghastly.

It should be classed as a disability.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭brainfreeze

prinzeugen wrote: »
    There are tons of local variations in Scottish accents.

Glaswegian is horrible but half cast weegie is worst. Not quite Glasgow, not quite Edinburgh. Posh Glaswegian is just as crap.

People from Aberdeen sound like Geordies, Highlander is nice, miners scots is gobbledygook (my brother speaks like that) but the most popular (according to QI) is a posh Edinburgh accent (like mine!).

Queens Scottish its sometimes called. I find valleys Welsh the most annoying after Glaswegian.

What a half cast weegie accent? Example?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Like Yorkshire and the West Country

Hate scouser and Birmingham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Graph, rhymes with laugh.

That’s right. What with the u in there.

Do you have your own language going on there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

jimgoose wrote: »
    My favourite would be a gentle Bristolian/West Country chunter, as in James May. Eastenders-style "shut it you slaaaag!!" accents make me want to kick things. :pac:

Faacking shaaaat it you cockney caaaant

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I like: cockney, scouser, west country, soft scottish, soft welsh, posh southern english (sexy on women)

Don't like: glaswegian, manchester, brummie, geordie, yorkshire and hard nordy irish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Doc07

I get to enjoy a few days every year in UK , mostly north of England or Scotland for courses/conferences.

Like the accent around Harrogate (Yorkshire) and Southhampton (south) but all time favourite is Newcastle.
    Listening to a talk on complex Surgery in a Geordie accent is like opera for me!

Candie wrote: »
    About 12 miles north west of Birmingham is the town of Dudley, where the accent is like a Brummie accent on steroids. It's ghastly.

I was watching Coronation Street the other evening with Woman and some youngfella - it might have been David Platt - went up to the counter in the local caff and deadpanned "'Ave yer owt 'ealthy laaahk?". I shot port out of my nose, I thought it was ludicrously funny. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

jimgoose wrote: »
    Eastenders-style "shut it you slaaaag!!" accents make me want to kick things. :pac:

Oi, leave it aaaahhhht!

I don't mind the Cockney accent but there's one thing that drives me crazy, and that's 'innit'. It's worst in the under 25's, innit, but it's annoying when someone ends almost every sentence with innit. Innit?

Oh and, a certain James Whitham, former World Superbike hardarse, motorcycle racing commentator and general-purpose legend in his own lunchtime, hails from 'Uddersfield and will respond to any given question with something that sounds like "Eeeeeeee t'booggery-booggery-booggery-booggery nice cuppa tea laaaaahhhhk!!" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

like this is it? ;)

fryup wrote: »

Only worse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I don't mind the Cockney accent but there's one thing that drives me crazy, and that's 'innit'. It's worst in the under 25's, innit, but it's annoying when someone ends almost every sentence with innit. Innit?

Every sentence is a question, innit?

I ain't done nuffink, 'ave I?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,904 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

The Black Country.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

Every sentence is a question, innit?

I ain't done nuffink, 'ave I?

Matter of opinion, innit? I know nuffink bout nuffink, innit?

Advertisement