Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Minister for Health Simon Harris and family trapped in home by protesters.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I find it difficult to get upset about this.

Going to a private residence en mass is beyond. His wife did nothing wrong. They have a newborn there too. There's a time and a place for legitimate protest. This is not the time, the place nor is it legitimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

There are serious knackers now protesting at many contentious issues, health, evictions whatever the issue they are there, wastes of space who offer no solutions and probably have contributed very little in their own lives to this country but of course that’s all someone elses fault, I’m not a fan of harris or politicians in general but it’s a dirty move targetting someones family home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

_Brian wrote:
    Buncholf out of control knackers.

Your edit didn't work, try again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

I’m sure he’s a nice guy with good intentions but why he ever took this position on in the first place at the start of his political career was political suicide. He needs to resign for his own sake more than the country’s imho. The HSE needs to be dismantled completely and responsibility handed over to county councils/health boards again. The system wasn’t perfect then but it was never this bad. For any political party the minister for health should always be the veteran candidate who is the least likely to run at the next general election.

So he resigns.

What next for the HSE?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,865 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

That is an absolutely scummy thing to do.

Agreed.

Someone's private residence should be off bounds for protests. There are plenty of places to protest without it effecting his family and private life

• Advertisement

Juanito13 wrote: »
    All problems that existed prior to his tenure as minister for health. He doesn’t have a magic wand.
    Firstly, FG has been in power for 8 years, it's time to end this 'inherited mess' nonsense.

Secondly, he, as part of the Government, has decided to reduce the resources available to the Government by lowering taxation, which is a pro-cyclical, destructive policy.

Let nobody be mistaken, such policies end with people dying unnecessarily. I'm sorry that Simon Harris was bothered on his weekend off, but there are people out there who rely on public services who are enduring far more real problems, including the unnecessary death of loved ones, via austerity and funding cutbacks.

My sympathy is very limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

What next for the HSE?

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't FG as an election promise in 2011 promise to dismantle the HSE one can only assume they had a plan on what came next, or do you think they lied?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

So he resigns.

What next for the HSE?

That’s for the new chump, I mean minister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

So he resigns.

What next for the HSE?

That's the problem : it's been a mess for as long as I've been alive and it's chewed up and broken well intentioned ministers who've tried to tackle it and just carried on regardless.

Looks like we're prepared to keep rinsing, repeating, pinning the blame on an individual politician and failing to reform anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

The Idiot yellow vest brigade at it again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Éirígí scum I'd imagine.

Completely indefensible behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,479 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

How long is a piece of string?
    To raise a topical example, the fact that our nurses are rushing around trying to manage twice or three times the number of patients than is safe.

Or how about the lack of primary care facilities that should be able to detect and treat problems, especially in the elderly, before they have to present at an acute hospital?
    How about patients lying on trolleys because there isn't the capacity to admit them, when they need medical treatment?
    Shall we discuss psychiatric hospitals, and the near absence of public resources for people suffering with mental illness, until they reach a point where they become a danger to themselves or to others.
    All of these factors are interrelated, and all reduce the life expectancy of patients who deserve better. This occurs by dint of a conscious decision of our Government to trade health outcomes for middle-class votes.
    As I said, I am sorry the Minister experienced this, but there are families struggling every day with a lot worse, because of his decisions.
    I think these problems all existed before he became Minister for Health.
    I agree there is a lot wrong but why go after this man?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

How long is a piece of string?

To raise a topical example, the fact that our nurses are rushing around trying to manage twice or three times the number of patients than is safe.

Or how about the lack of primary care facilities that should be able to detect and treat problems, especially in the elderly, before they have to present at an acute hospital?

How about patients lying on trolleys because there isn't the capacity to admit them, when they need medical treatment?

Shall we discuss psychiatric hospitals, and the near absence of public resources for people suffering with mental illness, until they reach a point where they become a danger to themselves or to others?

All of these factors are interrelated, and all reduce the life expectancy of patients who deserve better. This occurs by dint of a conscious decision of our Government to trade health outcomes for middle-class votes.

As I said, I am sorry the Minister experienced this, but there are families struggling every day with a lot worse, because of his decisions.

As unfortunate as those conditions are, Simon is not directly responsible for this crisis, nor is his 3 week old daughter whose peace these scumbags decided to disturb when they landed on their doorstep today to shout and scream abuse.
    Your home should be off limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

lbc2019 wrote: »
    The Idiot yellow vest brigade at it again...

Did you see the video of the yellow vest protestors in France having a big fight over the weekend? They were fighting with another gang of yellow vest protestors.

That's the level of intelligence that gets involved with that idiot show.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think these problems all existed before he became Minister for Health.
    I agree there is a lot wrong but why go after this man?
    His Government, for which he has collective responsibility, has been in power for eight years.

There's an often-times middle class fixation with étiquette, a kind of suburban outrage that people might gather outside a politicians home to peacefully protest, yet nobody seems to see the problem with people actively dying because of that person's policies ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭shafty100

Jailed for what?

On what grounds would you jail people for having a peacefull protest, thats totally unjustified.harris and his fellow dictators have imposed endless hardship on people and people have had enough. The next general will hopefully get rid of these parasites.

His Government, for which he has collective responsibility, has been in power for eight years.

There's an often-times middle class fixation with étiquette, a kind of suburban outrage that people might gather outside a politicians home to peacefully protest, yet nobody seems to see the problem with people actively dying because of that person's policies *shrug*

Its scummy pure and simple

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

Tinfoil hat on : Send around 20 odd protesters - look for sympathy . Gets the eye and a bit of heat off you regarding the children's hospital scandal and the nurse and midwife strike. Just saying .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Juanito13

There's an often-times middle class fixation with étiquette, a kind of suburban outrage that people might gather outside a politicians home to peacefully protest, yet nobody seems to see the problem with people actively dying because of that person's policies *shrug*

People are actively dying because of simon harris? Talk about Hyperbole

• Registered Users Posts: 26,139 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Anti-austerity?

Are these people for real?

We are spending like crazy. Have been for the last four years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,139 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Tinfoil hat on : Send around 20 odd protesters - look for sympathy . Gets the eye and a bit of heat off you regarding the children's hospital scandal and the nurse and midwife strike. Just saying .

Just saying that's stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,479 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He hasn't been there for eight years though. Reilly was responsible for a lot of cuts, bad cuts that cost lives.
    Why not outside Varadkar's house then?
    I think picking the house of a man with a baby less than two months old is really bad form.

Juanito13 wrote: »
    People are actively dying because of simon harris? Talk about Hyperbole
    No, it's Healthcare Economics 101. We all know that economic decisions made in the provision of healthcare governance will affect health outcomes and mortality rates, the issue here is that decisions are being traded in favour of middle-class votes, ie tax reductions vs appropriate healthcare.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

There's an often-times middle class fixation with étiquette, a kind of suburban outrage that people might gather outside a politicians home to peacefully protest, yet nobody seems to see the problem with people actively dying because of that person's policies ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Health service and those in it is the problem, has been for more than eight years.
    After the Mc Cabe episode none is going to highlight the problems or maybe everyone is on the gravytrain

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Is this the same poor babby he posted a picture of moments after it was born on his twitter account where he also promotes himself and announces government policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

noodler wrote: »
    Just saying that's stupid.
    So is spending 1.6 billion on a childerns hospital which could have been built for a 1/4 of that on a greenfield site .So there you go.

Never said it was a conspiracy, just voicing my opinion that it's convenient considering the pressure Harris is under and his forthcoming apology to the Dail. Funny though the protesters left before the Guards came and no footage of the protest anywhere online that I can see. Alan Kelly had a similar experience I believe.

Video footage is easily accessible with a few clicks on Facebook.

52013960_1344337779053555_8621080548074323968_n.jpg

Covering their faces... what have they got to hide???

So is spending 1.6 billion on a childerns hospital which could have been built for a 1/4 of that on a greenfield site .So there you go.

where?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The Fingal Batallion? What class of gob****es are these? Sound like fringe Republicans.

Advertisement