Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obesity crisis in Ireland Mod Note post 1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

rob316 wrote: »
    OCD packaging needs to be flawless.

Anyway my point is simple choices make a big difference. Leaner meat, brown instead of white bread, lower fat cheese, low fat cheese, light milk etc etc.
    No one is asking someone to eat a plate of lettuce, people think "oh I'd miss this and I'd miss that on a diet". You can have all those still just not as much and often.

I hate diets, your eating habits should be for life.

All that low-fat stuff is pure junk.

Full-fat dairy products in smaller portions are way better for you. Fat is not the enemy. Much of that low-fat crap has simply substituted in sugar in place of fat. I’ve lost a good deal of weight in the past while having full-fat dairy products and small amounts of fatty meats. Sounds like you’re a food pyramid disciple.

I honestly thought most people knew that low-fat products were shïte by now. Apparently not! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

The amount of people you see buying boxes of those donughts from the shop in Pearse Street Dart station is insane.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

GAA Beo wrote: »
    We also drink less than our grandparents generation I would imagine. Looking at past generations pictures and it's striking how there were no fatties.
    We drink more from what I've read. Quite a bit more and more regularly. For all the stereotype of the Irish as drunkards, up to the 90's we had one of the lower rates of liver disease in the EU. In the past the pub was where you had a drink, home drinking was much less a thing for most people. It tended to be in spurts too. So a guy(usually a guy) would head to the pub of a weekend, and he might get hammered, but during the working week he was mostly "dry". Lent was a big thing too and many gave up the grog for lent. These days it's more a bottle of wine of an evening. It's only a few glasses your honour. Nearly every evening. Back when I was a kid the only adult I knew who drank wine was my dad(IIRC he got into it when back in the 50's he lived in New Zealand). That was considered more than a tad weird back in the 70/80's and the "wine section" in an off licence was the size of your average home fridge. With about four different wines.
    AllForIt wrote: »
    Point I'm making is you can make vegetables tasty. You don't have to deep fry them to make them tasty.
    In fairness A it helps. :D
    I’m not overweight and buy mince of differing fat percentages. You need them for different dishes.
    And the percentage difference will make feck all real world difference. Precious few are getting obese on 12% over 5% steak.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 195 ✭✭GAA Beo

Many of the parents feeding their kids fast food and unhealthy meals, did home economics at secondary school; I know several.

Organic meat and veg are no panacea, as organic/unorgainc is not a factor.
    What do you suggest? Some action must be taken IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ariadne

I just have one thing to say on this matter. I like big butts and I cannot lie :D

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

No wonder kids are falling asleep in school from the sugar crashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭rob316

All that low-fat stuff is pure junk.

Full-fat dairy products in smaller portions are way better for you. Fat is not the enemy. Much of that low-fat crap has simply substituted in sugar in place of fat. I’ve lost a good deal of weight in the past while having full-fat dairy products and small amounts of fatty meats. Sounds like you’re a food pyramid disciple.

I honestly thought most people knew that low-fat products were shïte by now. Apparently not! :eek:

You said yourself small amounts are better. I know that but trying to get an obese person from eating full fat dairy without abandon to eating small amounts is more difficult than switching to lower fat products.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,024 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

What do you suggest? Some action must be taken IMO.

That's exactly the thing tough.
    I don't know do people want to listen.
    There's loads of programs in primary schools now.

Off topic and not food obesity related.
    In the first seven month of 2015. Move than 25% off drivers killed in accidents weren't wearing seat belts dispite all the education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

State intervention is not going to work. And why should I suffer? I have good teeth and if anything, am underweight.

All my favourite soft drinks taste like fizzy cats piss now thanks to the sugar tax.

Lucozade has lost £60m in sales in the UK since it came in I believe.

Better education is what is needed. And forced PE in schools.

The laugh is though that in the UK anyway, the nanny state is saying kids must do more sport but that same nanny state won't allow sport to be played in schools if its competitive or there is the risk of a kid getting a splinter.

And sugar is not the cause of the current "crisis".

People are eating less sugar now than ever. I think the figure is about 20g a day per person form all sources. (Cane sugar, preserves etc).

The ration during WW2 in the UK worked out about 50g a day per person (don't quote me on those numbers. I will look up the exact figures but I am not far off).

You really haven't a clue. They're literally passing out at their desks.

Is it really that execrable?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

rob316 wrote: »
    You said yourself small amounts are better. I know that but trying to get an obese person from eating full fat dairy without abandon to eating small amounts is more difficult than switching to lower fat products.

No, it’s better to learn how to eat less of the full-fat stuff. Switching to low-fat won’t change any habits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

LirW wrote: »
    Ban breakfast cereal, problem solved.

What? A really good healthy breakfast is the proper way to start the day. A bowl of porridge or one of the original bixes can make up a good part of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

The amount of parents who have their Sunday dinner with their children in Macdonalds is gone beyond a joke at this stage.

Fast food is a huge problem. I've a mac d and a local chipper near me. Queues out the door of the local chipper and the drive thru has a queue of cars every evening when I pass it. Must cost people an absolute fortune. You'd save load cooking at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Eastern Europeans I meet and see out and about all seem to be in better shape than us, particularly the women are thin. What are they doing diet wise? They like a drink too. It seems to be Brits/Irish/Yanks that are the worst affected.

We also drink less than our grandparents generation I would imagine. Looking at past generations pictures and it's striking how there were no fatties.

We drink then head to fast food joint straight after.

We also consume an insane amount of processed food filled with salt and sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

the drive thru mac d here always has a queue and the local chippers do great business.
    school kids, secondary, head straight for the chipper/sweet aisle in tesco/local deli for hot food every day.
    i dont see that changing anytime soon.

wine consumption is a big part of the issue.
    where people were happy with tea/biscuits/toast late evening now its glasses of wine and snacks on occasion.
    these add up big time. add in sitting for a large % of day and you'll have weight gain.

i agree with full fat food over low fat but portions would have to change for this to be effective imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Berserker wrote: »
    Fast food is a huge problem. I've a mac d and a local chipper near me. Queues out the door of the local chipper and the drive thru has a queue of cars every evening when I pass it. Must cost people an absolute fortune. You'd save load cooking at home.

Fast food may become an issue if you eat too much of it. Same with everything other food/drink.

But is it just fast food? You had Jamie Oliver on the BBC banging on about salt and sugar yet the next day he was in a paper boasting about his new burger full of fat etc. Hypocrite!

Unfortunately in this PC world, it seems we must all suffer because we cannot risk offending the few.

Fanta filled fcukers

When I was in secondary school almost every student went down town every day for there lunch.
    Some got a hot chicken/wedge/etc roll.
    Or a cold meat/salad roll.
    Some just got wedges or a sausage roll.
    Drinks varied to be honest.

The kids who were overweight tough would have a large filled roll, portion of wedges, crisps,etc.
    One lad who I was good friends with would be like I want to loose wight. Teachers/etc all did everything to support him but he just wouldn't commit to anything really.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Lack of physical activity combined with an overindulgence in fast food, processed food and high fat, high sugar snacks and fizzy sweet drinks is the nub of the problem IMO.

If you look at old newsreel footage of 60 or 70 years ago, most adults used to cycle bikes as cars were an unaffordable luxury to most. People, usually men, did binge drink at weekends in pubs but home drinking was very rare until the 1970s/80s and nowhere near the extent it is done today.

When I was a young child in the 1980s I played outdoors with my mates all the time. Now children lead much more sedentary lives. There was only 1 or 2 overweight children in my class.

McDonalds was a rare treat back then - now some families eat fast food every single day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭con___manx1

McDonald's is the worst, packed day and night, kids stuffing themselves. If it was up to me I would ban McDonald's entirely but I suppose that isn't feasible.

Iceland banned McDonalds. not one in the whole country.

• Advertisement

Did they actually ban it tough?
    I was under the impression it left due to the 2008 recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

Loads of Subway though, and KFC.
    But Icelandic people are slim because the food is so expensive you cant afford to get fat (that's my theory anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

Why is all the bad stuff the tastiest :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

Just posting now and I'm sure it's mentioned but the points system has to recognise sporting achievement and those who partake in PE to a certain level.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I think lack of knowledge on nutrition is a major factor. My father was trying to lose weight and couldn’t understand why he wasn’t. I went through his diet and he was shocked when his supposedly health breakfast of granola, yoghurt and fruit was coming in at 700 calories. He was drinking fruit juice and didn’t realize the calorie content. Also he thought fat was bad because it was drilled into him but ate carbs excessively.

Education on balanced diet should be in primary school.

joeguevara wrote: »

I know a good few teachers. They are various programs about diet/exercise in schools now.

I'm in my late twenties and we even did stuff about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I think diets are the main cause of obesity. People abstain from food because it is easier than self control. Instead of learning about what can work long term people buy in to dads about suns, or carb abstinence or points as it easy to follow a regime than knowing about how a calorie deficit is the only long term way of losing weight. When you abstain it inevitably leads to an almighty blow out and put back more weight than you started with.

Fads don’t work. But it’s easy to follow in the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

joeguevara wrote: »
    I think lack of knowledge on nutrition is a major factor. My father was trying to lose weight and couldn’t understand why he wasn’t. I went through his diet and he was shocked when his supposedly health breakfast of granola, yoghurt and fruit was coming in at 700 calories. He was drinking fruit juice and didn’t realize the calorie content. Also he thought fat was bad because it was drilled into him but ate carbs excessively.

I think they still teach kids the food pyramid which is totally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

calorie rich foods taste better

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

calorie rich foods taste better

Pretty much this, but along with low prices and wide availability. Junk food is everywhere. These are the driving factors IMHO.

Advertisement