Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guy Gowan 1 Day Tutorial for Boards

• 30-04-2007 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭

Some of us attended Photofest yesterday and got a first hand chance to see Guy Gowan in action showing how to get the most out of CS3, Bridge and other apps. I think we would all agree it was very valuable ... (lads please post your opinions here for the rest of the gang to see ...)

MikeyAnywhere was so impressed he forked out €180 for his DVD's ...

For the rest of you all we have is a link to his, half built, web page -
    http://www.etipsntricks.com/

In case you don't know who he is .. he is one of the people who Adobe consult when they are designing CSx ... There is also a video at -
    http://www.apple.com/uk/pro/techniques/aperture/workingwithaperture.html

He is pioneering non invasive techniques to get to most from your images ... (e.g. dodging and burning without using the dodge and burn tools in CS3) ... he has a very good way to make things seem easy to understand...
    I think it would be extremely valuable to bring Guy over to Dublin (or hook it on to one of his many trips) for a full day session with the boardsies ... the cost is a bit on the expensive side so we would need numbers ...

Total cost is €1,500 for a full day plus expenses

Ok ... this may seem a lot but if we can line up 30 people is will be about €40-€50 each (I estimate) ...

So who is (in principle) interested, please vote above ... if numbers are big enough ... I'll follow up ...

I'm interested in attending a 1 day Guy Gowan CS3 session 40 votes

If the cost is less than €50
    0%
    If the cost is less than €75
    22%
    PaulwdonutheadhomerDotOrgminikinkjtBallymanbluepencilcaseDuchovnyTYR -> 9 votes
    If the cost is less than €100
    37%
    SebzyHuggy BearbovrilDara RobinsonbeansShinymelekalikimakaifoldb4dflopleinstermanFajitas!elvenXiosmikeanywheresineadwSeán_B 15 votes
    Not at all
    40%
    rymusjoolsveerBorderfoxGristlyEndCONMIKE12CameramanRoendigitalbeginnerMorlarCoveyAllMyOwnTeethCity-ExilederryosRed IslandRCNPhotosShakeyBlakey 16 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Not at all
    Count me in, I'll go to €150. Can pay you via PayPal or any other means.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭leinsterman

I'll figure out a way to collect the money if there is enough interest ... Roen can you vote in the poll ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Not at all
    I'm willing to pay around €100 for this and can be confirmed as a definate. I just about remembered his mono conversion and tried it out last night. Very impressed.

DarrenG wrote:
    I'm willing to pay around €100 for this and can be confirmed as a definate. I just about remembered his mono conversion and tried it out last night. Very impressed.

Darren ... Can you post the technique in the photoshop thread ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Oh yes please!

I'd go, but it'd have to be more like €50 before I could justify it TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I probably would depending on funds, and know a few others that would be interested.

:mad: ... please, please, please vote in the poll ... if this thread gets a bit on the long side I'd want to have to pick out the information from it ...

I'll only proceed based on reaching critical mass and this will be judged purely based on the poll ... ;)
    sineadw wrote:
    Oh yes please!

I'd go, but it'd have to be more like €50 before I could justify it TBH.

Fajitas! wrote:
    I probably would depending on funds, and know a few others that would be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

:mad: ... please, please, please vote in the poll ... if this thread gets a bit on the long side I'd want to have to pick out the information from it ...

I did I did!! I was just being verbose :D

sineadw wrote:
    I did I did!! I was just being verbose :D

ooops ... my bad ... must've not updated the browser or somthing ... :o

Hi ... there is a chance to book into a pre-existing seminar for €100 -

http://web.mac.com/etnt.ie/iWeb/etnt.ie/Retouching%20Workshop.html

This one is on 22nd June at NCAD ... places are limited but keep the votes coming ... Perhaps a better approach is to negotiate a group rate or ask them to extend into Saturday for a boards session ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

Count me in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Not at all

Will post it up this evening.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I'd be interested in this too. Could be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Not at all
    definately interested after seeing him at the weekend.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Not at all
    Count me in, I popped into his seminar in Croke park last year and his way of working is excellent, would be willing to go to a hunded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

surely we'd also have to hire a venue?

minikin wrote:
    surely we'd also have to hire a venue?

Possibly ... and yes this would also involve a cost ... but there are other possibilities ... you are welcome to help us investigate solutions ... we are all too aware of the problems!

This reminds me - Seb ... do you think we could get a lecture theatre at DCU ?

the sugarclub would be ideal

Yeah ... if I need to get a paying venue then I'll look at that later ... for now I'm hoping there is someone from our group who can provide a free venue at their work or college ...

Unless you mean that that you can get the Sugar Club for free for a day ...

Anyways ... we still don't have enough numbers to justify the whole event yet ... lets give it a bit more time before we take any action on getting a venue ...

Anyone got any ideas for a free venue ? ... Living rooms won't work .. they would need to accomodate 30+, a projector and pc etc ...

Not at all
    a projector and pc etc ...

Doncha mean a mac? :D

I can possibly provide projector, I'm sure Guy would bring his own laptop...

• Advertisement

rymus wrote:
    Doncha mean a mac? :D

I can possibly provide projector, I'm sure Guy would bring his own laptop...

I stand corrected ...

Think guy brings a G5 ...

Big issues on this one will be numbers and a venue ... I suspect we may struggle to get this one far under €100 each ... this would require numbers of 30+ ... but lets see ...

We really need a free venue!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

I'm deffo interested in this, i'll fork out 75 squid, so add me on, just curious about the time frame though, are we talking weeks from booking till the event or months?

well chances are we may try to hook into the event in NCAD durign late June ... but we need more than 25 to get a private session at €75 ... not impossible ... but will be a challenge ...

... in addtion I will place no booking until everyone has paid in full ... there will be no credit given on this one ...

I'd be a bit wary of the free venue thing, would hate to pay out €100 for something that didn't go ahead because of a problem with the venue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Not at all
    Voted, lightning stole my internets I'm afraid so I'll have limited access for a bit.
    The fewer people the better for me. but I'll have to go with the majority rule of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Not at all
    Subject to availability, I'm a definite.

T.

this is looking like a goer, 23 people = €65 each
    (with a free venue)

Ok we are getting close on numbers but we can't rely on 100% pull through form the poll ... I'm looking into getting some sponsorship from a local vendor ... or maybe inviting Canon to host the event or something like that ... I also requested two quotations from Guy's company ... one for a group discount to the pre-existing session at NCAD ... the other for a stand alone session ...

nice one, great to see positive action!
    are you looking after bookings - who/how can we pay, is paypal an option?

• Advertisement

Not at all
    Just got this link in a comment on my blog. Dont know if anyone here has seen it yet..

http://www.thestudio2u.com/etntworld/

Scroll down to the bottom, looks like theres going to be a course on in June surrounding RAW processing and retouching.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement