Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spiderman given job as a French firefighter!

• 28-05-2018 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭

Malian 'Spiderman' awarded French citizenship and a job in the fire brigade

A Malian immigrant dubbed Spiderman for scaling four storeys to save a child dangling from a balcony in Paris will be made a French citizen after meeting with French President Emmanuel Macron this morning.

Mamoudou Gassama, 22, was hailed a hero for single-handedly hauling the four-year-old to safety after scaling the facade of an apartment block in the capital's 18th arrondissement.

The dramatic rescue, which saw Gassama clamber from balcony to balcony and reaching the child in less than 30 seconds, was captured on video and widely shared on social media. He has since been compared to the Marvel superhero Spiderman.

The four-year-old was filmed hanging on for his life outside an apartment on Rue Marx-Dormoy on Saturday afternoon, having been apparently left home alone while his father was out shopping.

Without a thought for his own safety, Gassama took just seconds to reach the child in a spectacular rescue captured on film and viewed millions of times on social networks.

The incident took place at around 8pm on Saturday in northern Paris.

According to initial inquiries by the authorities, the child's parents were not at home at the time.

The father was later held for questioning by police for having left his child unattended and was due in court later, a judicial source said. The child's mother was not in Paris at the time.

Gassama, who said he arrived in France a few months ago 'dreaming of building his life' in the country, was pictured meeting French President Emmanuel Macron at the Elysee Palace this morning.

Macron said the migrant will be made a French citizen and will also be offered a place in the fire brigade.

Personally I would have not went up as far as the balcony the boy was hanging from. I would have just scaled up to the one below it and then got the other guy to drop him to me. Rookie error there on his part but still impressive all the same.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Fair play to him. I think he was brilliant. Well done to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭SnazzyPig

Incredible video!

Absolute hero. Not many people can wear that badge. He put it all on the line and did it in style

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Legend

sad to hear story about that babies parents though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭badabing106

I feel sorry for the other man up there. He will get slagged badly forever for being non heroic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Feck they should have him do stunts in the next move while there at it. Amazing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Why couldnt the other man climb over the barrier between balconies and get the baby instead of a guy risking his life scaling a building???Or even swing the baby up by the arm , the climber guy swung the child up from similar angle right over the barrier. Im guessing theres a reason thats not obvious but a part of me thinks it was staged because of that. How would a child that young even be able to hold on to that bar and for that long and would a child that age even know that falling from there would mean theyd die? Its just strange all of it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Why could the other guy not just grab the kid?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,414 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

wakka12 wrote: »
    Why couldnt the other man climb over the barrier between balconies and get the baby instead of a guy risking his life scaling a building???Or even swing the baby up by the arm , the climber guy swung the child up from similar angle right over the barrier. Im guessing theres a reason thats not obvious but a part of me thinks it was staged because of that

Did you see the muscles on the guy who climbed? There the muscles of a guy used to climbing or other sport. Maybe the other guy wasn’t in good shape and we could have had 2 deaths but instead the guy who could climb climbed and the guy on the balcony helped him when he got to her level.
    Of course the keyboard warriors all think they could have done better but instead would have gone back into their apartment out of sight.
    The whole thing was all over in 30 seconds, I doubt the child was hanging there an hour while the guy on the balcony deliberated.

Why couldnt the other man climb over the barrier between balconies and get the baby instead of a guy risking his life scaling a building???Or even swing the baby up by the arm , the climber guy swung the child up from similar angle right over the barrier. Im guessing theres a reason thats not obvious but a part of me thinks it was staged because of that. How would a child that young even be able to hold on to that bar and for that long and would a child that age even know that falling from there would mean theyd die? Its just strange all of it

Maybe the gravitational pull of the flat earth was too much

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

The other guy is too far away and the wall is blocking him. The fire brigade was on the way so it was probably less risky to just make sure the kid didnt fall than try something where the boy could slip and die. Infact it seems he almost had him at the end, if the guy hadn't climbed up the man would probably have pulled him to safety

Incredible stuff from the climber though, a real hero

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

That was amazing. They'll expect him to use a ladder in the fire brigade though. Should be given a cape and costume instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

They actually gave the guy a f**king Medal too!!! Brilliant! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I used to do rick climbing years ago. I really enjoyed it. I tried again in northern Thailand a few years ago. easy I thought. Jaysus after a minute I'd realized I'd lost so much strength. I could barely climb.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Grayson wrote: »
    I used to do rick climbing years ago. I really enjoyed it. I tried again in northern Thailand a few years ago. easy I thought. Jaysus after a minute I'd realized I'd lost so much strength. I could barely climb.

Did Rick enjoy it too?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The kid was standing on something and was moving across to the other guy.

How he got there is another story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Fair play, I wonder would he give me advice on how to increase my pull-up count?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

The term ‘hero’ gets bandied about a bit too much in my opinion. But in this case it’s completely justified.

No second thoughts, only thinking about that child. An absolute legend, and deserves all the accolades he gets.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Hero but the parents should be done for child neglect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Snowseer

Total hero. Nice to get a good news story for a change!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

A real hero. Fair play to him

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

The speed of him, impressive strength and agility

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Legend!

Hope he gets awarded the legion of honour.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Hero but the parents should be done for child neglect

Sentencing is next week, dad went shopping and detoured on the way home playing Pokemon Go. He’s looking at up to two years.

Considering all the flak the French get for their bureaucracy, they can move pretty damned fast when they have a mind to.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Personally I would have not went up as far as the balcony the boy was hanging from. I would have just scaled up to the one below it and then got the other guy to drop him to me. Rookie error there on his part but still impressive all the same.

Beg to disagree.. While Spiderman has the strength and daring and skill, the other man clearly does not have that and cannot be trusted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Personally I would have just shot a web from my wrist and used it as a safety net for the child to drop into. That's just my style though. Each to his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭ZzubZzub

Pretty amazing and selfless act. He deserves all the rewards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

there's good in everyone, but there's great in him.

total legend

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Considering all the flak the French get for their bureaucracy, they can move pretty damned fast when they have a mind to.

My English friend says that they retreat damn fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Check out his shoulders at 22. Def no McDonalds where he comes from.

Advertisement