Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Explain to me please...

• 03-09-2020 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭

Whataboutery
    Cancel culture

For various reasons (not prison) I took myself offline the guts of 10 years ago (other than checking my email in the local library). But with the current situation and being in a risk category I decided to get the internet in my home again and re upped on boards as I have very little social contact at the moment, I find myself a little at a loss at some of the current vernacular. Someone accused me of whataboutery on a thread and I honestly didn't know how to respond as I didn't know what they meant, I am a reasonably intelligent upright vertical and can usually figure out what someone is talking about but sometimes I am stumped! I suppose its a case of being afraid to ask an obvious question for fear of looking stupid or a n00b! Which some of the older posters who recognize my name will attest I am not, just massively out of touch! Feel free to add / ask other terms like wtf is IIRC?

As a former teacher I am asking educate me!

There is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Get urself onto urban dictionary.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭SlowMotion321

Get urself onto urban dictionary.

Would rather have a discussion TBH! (Big fan of yours by the way, transporter ftw!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

10 years away? Damn Boomer, you have a lot of catching up to do..

Was more interested in how, why these terms come about and the reason for them! Never mind!

• Advertisement

10 years away? Damn Boomer, you have a lot of catching up to do..

Indeed, it feels like a very different place than when I left it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Whataboutery
    Cancel culture

As a former teacher I am asking educate me!
    Runaway. Runaway.
    You made a mistake coming back.
    Life is much better in the abyss.

Kivaro wrote: »
    Life is much better in the abyss.

Unfortunately when I looked into it, it looked back at me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

I like "whataboutery" - I think it's a neat description for whining "but what about the other thing" when something is being discussed. They could start a thread about it but seemingly they prefer derailing another discussion and attempting to deflect from it/gas-light the participants in the discussion. Ulster loyalists are unreal for it - actually any anti republican/anti nationalist types.

Another example of it is "If you reversed the genders, blah blah".

"Cancel" though - I don't get the misuse of that word lately. I mean, I know what it implies but it's the incorrect word. Cancelling something is abandoning it or eliminating/discontinuing it. Not a backlash against a public figure. "Censor" is surely the more apt term?

I like "whataboutery" - I think it's a neat description for whining "but what about the other thing" when something is being discussed. They could start a thread about it but seemingly they prefer derailing another discussion and attempting to deflect from it/gas-light the participants in the discussion. Ulster loyalists are unreal for it - actually any anti republican/anti nationalist types.

Another example of it is "If you reversed the genders, blah blah".

"Cancel" though - I don't get the misuse of that word lately. I mean, I know what it implies but it's the incorrect word. Cancelling something is abandoning it or eliminating/discontinuing it. Not a backlash against a public figure. "Censor" is surely the more apt term?

I get it now, the poster was implying I was going off topic! Should have just said that! Still confused about this cancel culture thing though! Tend to agree with your point about it! People should use the right words for the right points not just what sounds cool:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

cancel culture is cancelling someone. As in a comedian recently who previously allegedly did some sexual harassment is now cancelled insofar as they'll never get booked for a comedy gig again. Their career is cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

No one says Noob anymore, nor do they spell words with numbers.

Regarding cancel culture -
    Currently theres a trend or culture amongst extreme 'Left' social democratic people, mostly young (under 40).
    Like any political or social movement there are extremes on either side, an extreme right movement ideation includes anti immigration, racist, homophobic, sexist and very rigid in their views. In response to this there has been a movement of mostly younger generation of people who are extreme left in their views, examples of left views include acceptance of difference ie race, gender identity, sexual orientation, workers rights, human rights..
    All sounds well and good except the extreme left are as equally rigid in their views as the extreme right and anyone, particularly public figures, who don't agree with their views or behave, dress or speak in such a way that it may undermine or go against the views of the extreme left, online social media is used by these groups to collectively attack and publicly shame the person/company/business or whatever theyre in disagreement with, the goal is to have the company/celeb/whoever it is to change their ways and conform to the lefts agenda or risk losing their status/money/power.

Some of it is positive as they brought the extreme views of racists, homophobes and sexists to public attention which over time created awareness of everyday discrimination. Without this I dont think we would have won the right to abortion, gay marriage would unlikely have been legalised for many years, other positive examples include improved conditions for factory workers in sweatshops in Asian countries. Currently Ponhub is experiencing a small amount of 'cancel culture' due to rape victims having their rapes posted on the website which refuses to take them down. - In this instance, cancel culture could have a very positive impact.

Currently theres a trend or culture amongst extreme 'Left' social democratic people, mostly young (under 40).
    Like any political or social movement there are extremes on either side, an extreme right movement ideation includes anti immigration, racist, homophobic, sexist and very rigid in their views. In response to this there has been a movement of mostly younger generation of people who are extreme left in their views, examples of left views include acceptance of difference ie race, gender identity, sexual orientation, workers rights, human rights..
    All sounds well and good except the extreme left are as equally rigid in their views as the extreme right and anyone, particularly public figures, who don't agree with their views or behave, dress or speak in such a way that it may undermine or go against the views of the extreme left, online social media is used by these groups to collectively attack and publicly shame the person/company/business or whatever theyre in disagreement with, the goal is to have the company/celeb/whoever it is to change their ways and conform to the lefts agenda or risk losing their status/money/power.

Some of it is positive as they brought the extreme views of racists, homophobes and sexists to public attention which over time created awareness of everyday discrimination. Without this I dont think we would have won the right to abortion, gay marriage would unlikely have been legalised for many years, other positive examples include improved conditions for factory workers in sweatshops in Asian countries. Currently Ponhub is experiencing a small amount of 'cancel culture' due to rape victims having their rapes posted on the website which refuses to take them down. - In this instance, cancel culture could have a very positive impact.

but there's a separate group of extreme lefties that although a seemingly arguing for a good cause and for the rights of others, are in fact very hateful, forceful of their views, unaccepting of views beyond their own and extremely black and white and rigid, they often get the most media attention because their views are often so obnoxious and extreme. An example of this extremity is the recent 'cancelling' of Adele for wearing an African hair style and Jamaican bikini top at a Caribbean festival in London which celebrates Caribbean culture.
    The people with these extreme views will often post comments on the persons social media, comments ranging from minor expressions of disagreement to full on abuse and death threats, they might right blogs and articles or create online videos and podcasts to express their views of disagreement with her choices. When enough of the extreme left publically express their opinions, collectively they achieve their goal of publicly shaming the person, which in this case is Adele.
    That said allot of those involved in expressing extreme left views are often jumping on the bandwagon and/or enjoy the bullying aspect of public shaming/cancel culture.

TLDR

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

TLDR

I shortened it just for you

but there's a separate group of extreme lefties that although a seemingly arguing for a good cause and for the rights of others, are in fact very hateful, forceful of their views, unaccepting of views beyond their own and extremely black and white and rigid, they often get the most media attention because their views are often so obnoxious and extreme. An example of this extremity is the recent 'cancelling' of Adele for wearing an African hair style and Jamaican bikini top at a Caribbean festival in London which celebrates Caribbean culture.
    The people with these extreme views will often post comments on the persons social media, comments ranging from minor expressions of disagreement to full on abuse and death threats, they might right blogs and articles or create online videos and podcasts to express their views of disagreement with her choices. When enough of the extreme left publically express their opinions, collectively they achieve their goal of publicly shaming the person, which in this case is Adele.
    That said allot of those involved in expressing extreme left views are often jumping on the bandwagon and/or enjoy the bullying aspect of public shaming/cancel culture.

Ignore previous I was joking, thanks for the post, a lot to consider as I worry about any alt people left or right! You make valid points we live in a democracy, what's more a republic, all views are allowed to be aired! It's up to us then to fight our corner!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Fecking hell. I thought cancel culture referred to the tendency for people to book themselves into multiple events and happenings and when the day arrives they pick the one they actually feel like doing and last-minute-cancel all the other ones. A big thing in London apparently because there is so much to do there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭trashcan

Gaslighting and now, astroturfing are ones I've seen recently, and gone, you wot ?

Must be showing my age.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Ignore previous I was joking, thanks for the post, a lot to consider as I worry about any alt people left or right!

unfortunately now you need to make sarcasm much more obvious. The most stupid of the americans include a /s at the end of sarcasm

It is extremely sad that most jokes on here need to come with a disclaimer now but it is the way. Far more normal people online now who don't understand it.

Not aimed at the person who you were replying to, just since its a thread about how everything is now! No more blasting with piss or yore ma replies to threads, you'll be ****ing quoted 6 months later about anything not perfect

unfortunately now you need to make sarcasm much more obvious. The most stupid of the americans include a /s at the end of sarcasm

It is extremely sad that most jokes on here need to come with a disclaimer now but it is the way. Far more normal people online now who don't understand it.

Not aimed at the person who you were replying to, just since its a thread about how everything is now! No more blasting with piss or yore ma replies to threads, you'll be ****ing quoted 6 months later about anything not perfect

TLDR! BWT that's what yore ma said!

What the Fcuk? I go away for ten years......... .....! Sluts! All of you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,829 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I think whataboutery can be relevant sometimes although a lot of the people who engage in it have an agenda of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

OP we now have a generation that has never had cause to write a hand written letter; the English lexicon has long since reached it's peak.

I wouldn't concern yourself with the nonsense of the Newspeak we currently have to endure in today's very fractured times.

OP we now have a generation that has never had cause to write a hand written letter; the English lexicon has long since reached it's peak.

I wouldn't concern yourself with the nonsense of the Newspeak we currently have to endure in today's very fractured times.

I disagree! Yes I mourn the written missive, it's been a while since I last put pen to paper (Literally) but email and online is still as communicative as long as we stick to the conventions for the aged literate among us! and for the youf of today, use what words you find comfortable just 'splain' along the way Lest we all be lost!

I disagree! Yes I mourn the written missive, it's been a while since I last put pen to paper (Literally) but email and online is still as communicative as long as we stick to the conventions for the aged literate among us! and for the youf of today, use what words you find comfortable just 'splain' along the way Lest we all be lost!

The language is disintegrating before our very eyes..
    Disregard the new nonsense..

CQD wrote: »
    The language is disintegrating before our very eyes..
    Disregard the new nonsense..

Books raised me, language evolves much as we might like it not to! But crusties like us can still hew to the old ways while talking out of the side of our mouths to the kids!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Would rather have a discussion TBH! (Big fan of yours by the way, transporter ftw!)

These days, I'm in the Fast N Furious franchise.

These days, I'm in the Fast N Furious franchise.

Yeah! Cheap and for the money! Go back to your base man, we don't mind the paunch!

Books raised me, language evolves much as we might like it not to! But crusties like us can still hew to the old ways while talking out of the side of our mouths to the kids!;)

I wouldn't call what's happening to it evolution..

CQD wrote: »
    I wouldn't call what's happening to it evolution..

That's a matter of perception! I was talking about etymology but that's an ecumenical matter!:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Internet language and humour is an amazing thing.

It changes by day, sometimes I use certain phrases in real life with people who know what I mean, but others I know will not.

I liked the Karen thing, but what does Stan mean?

Advertisement