Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GEM Limerick Scholarship Scheme

• 22-06-2014 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hello,

I was wondering if there is anyone here who is currently doing GEM at UL on the university's scholarship scheme? I'm interested to know things such as how many scholarships are awarded (unlikely that anyone might know, I know) and when did you find out that you were successful in your application? I have applied to UL and hopefully will be attending this September.

On UL's GEM webpage they state that "students applying for entry to graduate entry medicine should not be inhibited if successful in their application due to lack of financial support".

However, I have heard that prospective students don't find out if they are successful until they are already enrolled onto the course. This means I would have already had to pay (correct me if i'm wrong) at least the first semester of fees as well as physically moved to Limerick and paid for accommodation. If this scholarship is designed to help students from socio-enomoniclly disadvantaged backgrounds then why do they not let students know if they have got the scholarship before they enrol?

Any help or general conversation from other scholarship hopefuls would be appreciated also. Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Bloomberg

I haven't yet sat the GAMSAT, I'm going for UL also and I'm expecting to receive the scholarship on the basis of socio-Eco disadvantage if I'm lucky enough to get through the exam successfully an get in September year.
    I inquired about it about 2 months ago and she said that they work very closely with the access office at UL. If you look up access course at UL, the considerations are similar to that of the scholarship for GEM such as
    - welfare dependence
    - family background- living in a so called rough estate/council house
    - looking for some deprivation being experienced basically
    Background is key-your parents-their professions- applicants with a lone parent is something they will probably regard as putting someone at some sort of disadvantage... There being only one income- more susceptible to poverty or risk of.
    Also the girl I bought my GAMSAT notes off said to me that there were about 5 people in her year who got it, and was surprised when one of the guys got it despite his mum being a teacher and being fairly financially secure- he was under the impression it was due to the fact he was living in a rough area in Limerick that got him it..

If your planning on going this September and you haven't received either a letter or email regarding the scholarship and the process, that seems strange, usually they take your application in March and then they close application about June- I think it's in two stages... I am not certain though but you should get in touch with GEM scholarship, there emails on UL website and see what's happening! Best of luck.
    Don't take what I've said as concrete because it's only what I've been told or heard!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Terrance Peterson

Thanks for the reply!

I sat the GAMSAT in the UK last September so I already have a satisfactory score. Also, I have already completed the scholarship forms, I am just waiting to hear back from them. My problem is that apparently I won't hear back about the outcome of my scholarship application until I have already enrolled onto the GEM course...

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭loopylulu

Do any of the other med schools offer similar scholarships? First I've heard of it, but
    I hadn't looked at UL as an option as I'm a single parent and childcare would be in Dublin. However, if there was a chance of any financial assistance in UL then that changes things!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Bloomberg

Yes UL is the only college that offers it in Ireland, given that Limerick itself is more disadvantaged than most cities- it seem that it's trying to cater for that community really.

loopylulu wrote: »
    Do any of the other med schools offer similar scholarships? First I've heard of it, but
    I hadn't looked at UL as an option as I'm a single parent and childcare would be in Dublin. However, if there was a chance of any financial assistance in UL then that changes things!

UL is the only university that offers this scheme in Ireland or pretty much anywhere that I can see...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭pc11

UL is the only university that offers this scheme in Ireland or pretty much anywhere that I can see...

This is correct. And it's true you won't find out if you're successful until some weeks after you start in UL. You wouldn't want to bank on it.

Thanks for the info. Yes it would be a huge gamble to put UL first, accept offer and move to Limerick and then not get the scholarship. Not like I could transfer back to Dublin at that stage. It's such a huge amount though. I wonder do the other colleges have student assistance funds for GEM's. Do they have the view that we already have degrees and most likely gave u a job to do GEM so not exactly in dire need of financial help?

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭pc11

Thanks for the info. Yes it would be a huge gamble to put UL first, accept offer and move to Limerick and then not get the scholarship. Not like I could transfer back to Dublin at that stage. It's such a huge amount though. I wonder do the other colleges have student assistance funds for GEM's. Do they have the view that we already have degrees and most likely gave u a job to do GEM so not exactly in dire need of financial help?

As stated already, there is no financial assistance available anywhere else, sorry. I looked very hard for it last year.

I don't think they have any views either way. It just costs what it costs, then it's up to us to figure it out. They are of course aware it's not easy, but there's nothing to be done really. Each year the class fills up, so people do manage, not that it's easy obviously.

pc11 wrote: »
    As stated already, there is no financial assistance available anywhere else, sorry. I looked very hard for it last year.

I don't think they have any views either way. It just costs what it costs, then it's up to us to figure it out. They are of course aware it's not easy, but there's nothing to be done really. Each year the class fills up, so people do manage, not that it's easy obviously.

You are right pc, there is literally nowhere else that offers this type of scholarship. Its such a crazy gamble to pay at least the first semester and literally move to UL before you know if you have got it or not but its a gamble I might have to take...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Btrippn

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has had success with the scholarship?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Hello there. Yes I was successful, thankfully! If I had not got it I would have left the course and it would have crushed me! What about you yourself...?

Terrance when did you find out? had you already accepted UL and moved to Limerick? currently waiting on gamsat results and trying to figure out what I'll do if I get a decent score.

Terrance when did you find out? had you already accepted UL and moved to Limerick? currently waiting on gamsat results and trying to figure out what I'll do if I get a decent score.

I found out I got it like 2 weeks into the course. I had already moved down to Limerick, got accommodation etc. I would have had to go home if I hadn't got the scholarship. I got denied the GEM loan from Ulster Bank as you have to have banked with them for 2 years before you apply for it. That is something I didn't know. I had been planning to come to Limerick for about 3/4 years but didn't know that otherwise I would have opened an Ulster Bank account like 2 year ago. There is also a loan from Bank of Ireland but they probably have some other type of stipulation like that, best to phone and check now.

Best of luck with your GAMSAT and let me know if you've any more questions...

I got denied the GEM loan from Ulster Bank as you have to have banked with them for 2 years before you apply for it. That is something I didn't know. I had been planning to come to Limerick for about 3/4 years but didn't know that otherwise I would have opened an Ulster Bank account like 2 year ago. There is also a loan from Bank of Ireland but they probably have some other type of stipulation like that, best to phone and check now.
    QUOTE]

Thanks Terrance!
    Gosh that is fairly bad to find out so late on the loan! None of the UB loan guidelines say you need to bank with them for 2 years :(
    I think I'm going to have to stick with Dublin, otherwise would need to sort out a new school and childcare if I move to Limerick. I'll just have to hope hope BOI will offer the loan next year. Anyway, not very optimistic about gamsat results.

Hope you are enjoying the course :)

I was sure I had failed the GAMSAT so you never know. Yeah, 2 years. I told them to revise their loan page to state this fact for the coming years but it probably fell on deaf ears. Yeah its a great course, just so much work. Good luck with your endeavours...

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Ballet17

Hi everyone! Hope you're all enjoying the course :) I'm hoping to go to UL this coming Sept on the results I got in the UK Gamsat last yr. I'm just wondering about the scholarship. Do you have to have secured and paid the first instalment of the loan before starting the course? What happens then if you are awarded the scholarship, does it go towards paying the first instalment back and can you then cancel the loan? Just wondering how it all works 😊 Thanks!

Ballet17 wrote: »
    Hi everyone! Hope you're all enjoying the course :) I'm hoping to go to UL this coming Sept on the results I got in the UK Gamsat last yr. I'm just wondering about the scholarship. Do you have to have secured and paid the first instalment of the loan before starting the course? What happens then if you are awarded the scholarship, does it go towards paying the first instalment back and can you then cancel the loan? Just wondering how it all works 😊 Thanks!

Ballet, no you don't have to pay anything! It seems crazy but you don't. Although you don't find out if you have got the scholarship until between Oct and Nov...

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Ballet17

Ballet, no you don't have to pay anything! It seems crazy but you don't. Although you don't find out if you have got the scholarship until between Oct and Nov...

Thanks Terrance! That's good to know. So you don't have to pay anything before you enrol? Do you still have to have a loan secured? Sorry for all the questions, it's all a bit confusing! ☺️ Well done to you on getting it, hope you're enjoying the course so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭vladcount

Hi Guys, i plan on sitting my gamsat next yr as im in my second last yr of my undergrad.
    Terrance tell me if you could , I know the scholarship covers fees but does it covers accommodation too or what ? i see it says a substantial amount for living expenses ?
    I am currently a access student in DCU so id say id be fine :)
    thanks all!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭heybert

Guys UL only hand out one or two of these scholarships per year so roughly 1-2% of students get one. Please don't factor it in to your choice of medical school!

• Advertisement

heybert wrote: »
    Guys UL only hand out one or two of these scholarships per year so roughly 1-2% of students get one. Please don't factor it in to your choice of medical school!

Where did you find this out? Any idea what the typical candidate profile is like? Thanks

Thats funny i just emailed the GEM proggramme scholarship officer here is her reply :
    Hi Karl,

Thank you for your enquiry regarding scholarships.

The Graduate Entry Medical School offers all applicants via the CAO an opportunity to apply for a scholarship. It is processed through two phases of application and each year to date there have been approximately ten scholarships awarded. However, the funding is being reduced and this will most likely reflect in the number of scholarships granted being reduced in the future unless we receive more funding in this regard.

I hope this answers your query.

Kind Regards,

Denise O'Malley
    Administrator/Riarthóir
    Room Number: GEMS3-010

They give out 10 yearly !!!!

vladcount wrote: »
    Thats funny i just emailed the GEM proggramme scholarship officer here is her reply :
    Hi Karl,

Thank you for your enquiry regarding scholarships.

The Graduate Entry Medical School offers all applicants via the CAO an opportunity to apply for a scholarship. It is processed through two phases of application and each year to date there have been approximately ten scholarships awarded. However, the funding is being reduced and this will most likely reflect in the number of scholarships granted being reduced in the future unless we receive more funding in this regard.

I hope this answers your query.

Kind Regards,

Denise O'Malley
    Administrator/Riarthóir
    Room Number: GEMS3-010

Does that not mean approximately 10 in total as in since the scholarship commenced?

10 a year except one year when funding went down and it was 8 in the first yr but after that first yrnot has been ten yearly .
    ��

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 maria0310

pc11 wrote: »
    This is correct. And it's true you won't find out if you're successful until some weeks after you start in UL. You wouldn't want to bank on it.

Then how do the fees work? Do you pay the first installment of fees and then if you get the scholarship they refund you that amount or do you pay nothing and wait until you hear an answer about the scholarship?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 dublindoctor

maria0310 wrote: »
    Then how do the fees work? Do you pay the first installment of fees and then if you get the scholarship they refund you that amount or do you pay nothing and wait until you hear an answer about the scholarship?

If you are banking on the scholarship do not pay fees until after you hear if you do or don't have it. You could pay your fees at the end of first year and it will not make a difference!

If you are banking on the scholarship do not pay fees until after you hear if you do or don't have it. You could pay your fees at the end of first year and it will not make a difference!

thanks for the reply! are you sure about that? I thought you have to be a registered student in order to get the scholarship and in order to be registered you have to pay the fees? Im probably wrong though. Are you speaking from experience?

Is there anyone who got the scholarship recently who could tell me when they found out they got it? was it before starting the course or after?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 dublindoctor

maria0310 wrote: »
    Is there anyone who got the scholarship recently who could tell me when they found out they got it? was it before starting the course or after?

I went to UL and know several people who got the scholarship. There is roughly 10 given a year. They are awarded in october/november.

You apply for the scholarship before you even start the course and you do not need to pay fees to become registered, you are automatically registered when you accept your CAO offer. I used pay my fees at the end of the year, every year and it was never an issue, several people did this because those with loans paid less interest that way. I wouldn't be banking on the scholarship though, it would be great to get it but have a plan b ready.

Advertisement