Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Bikes Scam?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

They could avoid this by not activating the card till you get it and you have to ring them with a code on the card.

Incidentally it renews automatically unless you cancel it at the end of the 12 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭bernyh

If u sign up for 52 weeks of any service you should RECEIVE 52 weeks of service... end of! Administration aside, it has been advertised and sold as 52 weeks which is what the op should be getting. Petty or not (I don't think it's petty) he is paying for a service and should get what is advertised. Would you be happy if you paid for sky two weeks in advance, but couldn't use it until they had completed the administration, but were still charged? I think not... OP should be given what he has paid for.

Administration should not take 2 weeks and if it does they should be looking at how they are running their administration, we are living in an immediate culture, mostly computerised, which is generally immediate and don't tell me it takes two weeks to send information from one office to another office I would believe that if we were living with pigeon post.

Sorry I know I have ranted but it really irkes me when people think it's ok to give crappy service and others mock when people complain!

END OF RANT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

It takes "up to two weeks" for the card to arrive. I ordered mine on a Monday and got it on Wednesday. Don't be so petty, if you can't afford to be without your few cent good luck after the upcoming budget.

It's a great scheme and long may it continue

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

bernyh wrote: »
    If u sign up for 52 weeks of any service you should RECEIVE 52 weeks of service... end of!
    At the same time, if you accept that
    (5) The dublinbikes Long Term Hire Card is issued after confirmation of the registration and authorisation of the direct debit by the customer’s bank, or the successful completion of the online credit card subscription. The system cannot be accessed until a Long Term Hire Card is received.
    you accept it. End of.

If the OP had a problem with this clause the OP should not have ticked the box that said he's OK with it. The fact that he freely did so gives him very little right to complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

BeerNut wrote: »
    If the OP had a problem with this clause the OP should not have ticked the box that said he's OK with it. The fact that he freely did so gives him very little right to complain.

We're supposed to read terms and conditions now? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

I think you're right OP.

It's not the money, it's the principle.
    As you said, if it scales up then it's a lot of money. So fair play to you for doing something about it, when there's a lot of people who see problems and instead of trying to get it fixed just moan and bring everyone down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

C-Shore wrote: »
    I think you're right OP.

It's not the money, it's the principle.
    As you said, if it scales up then it's a lot of money. So fair play to you for doing something about it, when there's a lot of people who see problems and instead of trying to get it fixed just moan and bring everyone down.

Is this ironic? Hopefully since all the OP has done as far as I can see is "moan and bring everyone down".

If the OP gets so wound up by this I'm frankly baffled how he can make it through life at all. Why not wait to see how long the card takes to arrive.

HivemindXX wrote: »
    Is this ironic? Hopefully since all the OP has done as far as I can see is "moan and bring everyone down".

If the OP gets so wound up by this I'm frankly baffled how he can make it through life at all. Why not wait to see how long the card takes to arrive.

No it's not ironic.
    It's a bit OTT to call it a scam but I still think he has a fair point when it comes to upholding standards.

What I mean is that too many people moan but don't do anything, or propose a solution; that brings people down with a "we're f'd so why bother" kind of attitude.

It is only a small amount of money, but imagine if somebody ordered something on line and paid for 2 day express delivery, but it didn't arrive for 10 days. If that person came on here to ask if they were right to complain to the company, what would your answer be to that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I think he has a point to, but it would be simple to fix. Only start the activation from when its first used. Or don't make it active for 2 weeks after you buy it.

Its got nothing to do with how good the scheme is. Its simply a glitch in how its processed.

BostonB wrote: »
    I think he has a point to, but it would be simple to fix. Only start the activation from when its first used. Or don't make it active for 2 weeks after you buy it.

Its got nothing to do with how good the scheme is. Its simply a glitch in how its processed.

Exactly, it should be that the direct debit is activated either once it's used (if before 14 days) or 14 days after registration.
    The reason for the two way system would be to prevent people from registering and receiving a card but then never activating it (therefore still costing the bike scheme on admin costs).

If the card doesn't arrive after 14 days, then there should be a system in place where the consumer can have the subscription extended based on the date they actually do get it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Pretty sure you're getting into a fuss over nothing. I subscribed on the 25th of May last year, got my card and first used it on the 31st. This year they took the subscription on the 31st.

deconduo wrote: »
    Pretty sure you're getting into a fuss over nothing. I subscribed on the 25th of May last year, got my card and first used it on the 31st. This year they took the subscription on the 31st.

That's grand then, there's no problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

timmywex wrote: »
    Are you really going to be that petty?

Far from a scam...

In fairness it's not surprising this is considered a scam given the "scam artist" stories being told about people who are actually tapping. I wonder what kinda lives boardsies live outside of the internet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

This is honestly one of the most ridicules notions I have ever come across.

Pursue them if you wish but you'll more than likely get laughed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sio i'Cork like

I can't see a new thread button so a post here will have to do.

I think Dublin-bikes are great. But a 2 weeks ago I got a bike from Kings Street with the intention of leaving it over the other side of the city(close to home). My intended station was full, which it is quite often, so i waited like I normally would because more often than not someone one will rent or the lorry will come around and free up spaces. Not this time so I went to the nearest station which, my app said, had free spots. It didn't when I got there. I went to another close by station which was also full. I cycled back by the other 2 full stations and waited a while longer at the station I originally wanted. The whole process took about 40mins in total, (so about 25- 30 mins waiting for the station to free up). In the end I felt I had no choice but to take the bike home which I didn't want to do.
    I dropped the bike of the next morning. I knew I would get a charge but nothing showed up straight away so I though Dublin-bikes were aware of the problem.
    I have since been charged over €40. I have no idea how they worked that out. I had the bike out for 12hrs exactly, which I work out to be €36.50 (free 30mins + €6.50 (4hrs) + €30 (7.5hrs) ). But I refute having to pay this amount anyway.
    I have complained via the contact form on Dublinbikes.ie but all they said in response was that I should have returned the bike to an empty station. Does anybody have any suggestions on how I should tackle this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I can't see a new thread button so a post here will have to do.

I think Dublin-bikes are great. But a 2 weeks ago I got a bike from Kings Street with the intention of leaving it over the other side of the city(close to home). My intended station was full, which it is quite often, so i waited like I normally would because more often than not someone one will rent or the lorry will come around and free up spaces. Not this time so I went to the nearest station which, my app said, had free spots. It didn't when I got there. I went to another close by station which was also full. I cycled back by the other 2 full stations and waited a while longer at the station I originally wanted. The whole process took about 40mins in total, (so about 25- 30 mins waiting for the station to free up). In the end I felt I had no choice but to take the bike home which I didn't want to do.
    I dropped the bike of the next morning. I knew I would get a charge but nothing showed up straight away so I though Dublin-bikes were aware of the problem.
    I have since been charged over €40. I have no idea how they worked that out. I had the bike out for 12hrs exactly, which I work out to be €36.50 (free 30mins + €6.50 (4hrs) + €30 (7.5hrs) ). But I refute having to pay this amount anyway.
    I have complained via the contact form on Dublinbikes.ie but all they said in response was that I should have returned the bike to an empty station. Does anybody have any suggestions on how I should tackle this?
    Emmm, isn't there a screen on every single dublinbike station for checking where the nearest stations are and how many spaces are free?

Also, the charge is worked out like this: €6.50 (4hrs) + €2 for each half-hour after (or part-thereof). I assume you're being charged €40.50? Then you went just over the 8th hour, which would make it 17 half-hours *€2 = €34 + €6.50 = €40.50

If you ask nicely, it's possible Dublin Bikes might let you off as a good-will gesture. However, they are certainly not obliged to do so

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

At the same time, if you accept that
    you accept it. End of.

There is a difference between something being *illegal* in the eyes of the law and something being dishonest, misleading, untruthful (a scam).

I've never claimed they were breaking the law or that they didn't mention the conditions (in fact, I even said the *did* mention the conditions; which means they are aware of it).

I don't know what sort of 'false advertising laws' Ireland has. But I do know, in many places, it's illegal to advertise something and then not provide it; EVEN if you have tiny print that says your advertisement is B.S.

bernyh wrote: »
    If u sign up for 52 weeks of any service you should RECEIVE 52 weeks of service... end of! Administration aside, it has been advertised and sold as 52 weeks which is what the op should be getting. Petty or not (I don't think it's petty) he is paying for a service and should get what is advertised. Would you be happy if you paid for sky two weeks in advance, but couldn't use it until they had completed the administration, but were still charged? I think not... OP should be given what he has paid for.

Administration should not take 2 weeks and if it does they should be looking at how they are running their administration, we are living in an immediate culture, mostly computerised, which is generally immediate and don't tell me it takes two weeks to send information from one office to another office I would believe that if we were living with pigeon post.

Sorry I know I have ranted but it really irkes me when people think it's ok to give crappy service and others mock when people complain!

END OF RANT

It's also worth noting that the computer systems can grant a 3-day pass *immediately*. So they are clearly capable of it - they just don't do it for the 'year' pass.

Not me. Like thousands of others, I signed up in
    So less than 14 days then. They'll be ripping you off to the tune of less than 38c.

When your card arrives, please do drop back with the new figure that they've taken you for. Just so we're all warned about how big a scam it is.

Actually - if you go to the terminal and try to purchase 14 days (that's four+ 3-day passes) it would actually cost you 8 euro.

Arguably, it's value is a lot more than 38c....

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭eyesquirm

BostonB wrote: »
    They could avoid this by not activating the card till you get it and you have to ring them with a code on the card.

Incidentally it renews automatically unless you cancel it at the end of the 12 months.

Check the terms and conditions, OP. You may have to cancel two weeks early. In which case you may, just may, only get 48 weeks from your tenner.

:):)

When the scheme starts in Galway, I'm going to print out this thread and post it to them.
    Just as a warning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Sio i'Cork like

28064212 wrote: »
    Emmm, isn't there a screen on every single dublinbike station for checking where the nearest stations are and how many spaces are free?

Yes the surrounding stations were also full. I can't remember now which stations were free but they were not convenient by any means. Usually when I wait someone will come along or the DB truck will be along. 10mins is about the longest I've had to wait before.
    Also, the charge is worked out like this: €6.50 (4hrs) + €2 for each half-hour after (or part-thereof). I assume you're being charged €40.50? Then you went just over the 8th hour, which would make it 17 half-hours *€2 = €34 + €6.50 = €40.50

Correct. I would worked it out to be 15 half-hours, but I suppose 16 would be correct for the part-thereof. The first 30 mins are free, but I guess I waive that in light of exceeding it.
    If you ask nicely, it's possible Dublin Bikes might let you off as a good-will gesture. However, they are certainly not obliged to do so

I certainly hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Jimmy Gogola

Duckjob wrote: »
    Point 1 is - They're not deliberately trying to rip you off. it's just an admin thing - so coming on and labeling it a scam comes across as a bit arsey TBH.

Point 2 is - you'll get the full 52 weeks in subsequent years if you renew. I suppose you could pursue them for your 2 weeks if you want to, but IMO it's an excellent service and excellent value at the price - one of the few things we DON'T get ripped off on, so I think it would be rather petty.

Just to clarify, if you pursue this you would be pursuing a claim of a value of around 40c. Hope you're not planning to get a solicitor on the case on a commission basis :D
    If you're going to law, insist on a 'no foal, no fee' contract with your solicitor and barrister; then ensure that the max fee is 40 cent; only people of principle could be trusted to pursue the knaves who have perpetrated this appalling injustice, and only someone of the most exceptional discernment would have noticed it. This could be the beginning of a fightback by the people!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,851 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Robdude wrote: »

I don't know what sort of 'false advertising laws' Ireland has. But I do know, in many places, it's illegal to advertise something and then not provide it; EVEN if you have tiny print that says your advertisement is B.S.

Contact the ASAI and see if their advertising is legit.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

ASAI only deals with paid advertising. The DB website is outside their remit. The National Consumer Agency is the relevant body for this, but you must have already complained to DB and had an unsatisfactory response before they'll get involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

I'm a bit miffed at the level grief the OP has received over a valid complaint.

Why can't the Dublin Bikes system commence the year from the first use of the card? From an IT perspective it's perfectly feasible solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭dardhal

Robdude wrote: »
    The company advertised and charged me for a one year membership; but only sold me a 50 week membership.

It would be better to approach the issue from a different point of view. Take into account that I haven't read the terms and conditions of the cards, nor if issuing the card takes two weeks or not. But if I felt pissed by this, if wouldn't be for the money, less than half a euro, but for the inconvenience of having to wait two full weeks for a card that nobody told me it was going to take so long, and with no way of using the system till then.

For me , the anger and inconvenience of not being able to use the service from the word go, and (for example) arriving late and angry because of the aforementioned card issue, it's work far more than the annual 10€ fee for the card.

But every person can take it in a very different way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭vangough

anybody know if there are plans to put a station in grand canal dock/hanover quay area? would be really handy for me.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 colin2012

dublin bikes wont accept my card

dublin bikes wont accept my debit card-does anyone have an old bike that i can have-even if it is broken as i need one for a new job that iam starting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭simit

Yawn....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭The Minstrel

Rob, you won't be happy about this but I remember signing up to DB a week or 2 after the scheme was introduced and my card took f00king aaaaaages to arrive.

I'd caution against signing up to DB if you're a rage head. At peak hours you could easily pass 4 empty stations in a row. The worst is when you're pegging it home on the bike, it's really cold and wet, you arrive at the station and it's full. If you're raging about the 2 week snip, then you will be livid about stuff like that.

Advertisement