Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Decide.... The Best Song.... EVER

• 08-02-2020 1:45pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Well I guess it's time.

We've had our fun with the decades so far:

70's
    80's
    90's
    Noughties

All of the above have been decided and voted on by Boardsies - whilst the 60's is at semi final stage currently (go vote! )

Now it's time to decide

The Best Song

giphy.gif

EVER (As decided by Boardsies)

To save you all the effort of nominating songs that already did well in the other contests, you don't need to worry.

All quarter finalists from each contest will be automatically included and entered.

For the record those are:

60s 70s 80s 90s Noughties
    The Mamas and the Papas - California Dreamin Hotel California - Eagles Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of The Heart Coolio - Gangster's Paradise Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
    Rolling Stones - Paint it Black Don't Fear the Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult Bruce Springsteen - Dancing In The Dark Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit Eminem feat. Dido - Stan
    Jefferson Airplane - Somebody to Love Space Oddity - David Bowie Blondie - Call Me Red Hot Chili Peppers - Under The Bridge Kylie Minogue - Can't Get You Out Of My Head
    Elvis - Suspicious Minds Born to Run - Bruce Springsteen Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls Nirvana - Come As You Are Pink - Just Like A Pill
    Creedence Clearwater Revival - Bad Moon Rising Patti Smith - Because the Night Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart No Doubt - Don't speak Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood
    Rolling Stones - Sympathy for the Devil Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen Kim Carnes - Bette Davis Eyes Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name Of White Stripes - Seven Nation Army
    Rolling Stones - Satisfaction Don't Stop Me Now - Queen Eurthymics - Sweet Dreams The Cranberries - Zombie The Strokes - Last Night
    Marvin Gaye - I Heard it Through the Grapevine Go Your Own Way - Fleetwood Mac Belinda Carlisle - Heaven is a Place on Earth R.E.M. - Losing My Religion Eminem - Lose Yourself

So we know 40 of the songs that will be included already.

Now you can nominate 5 more of your own.

Why just 5 you ask? This is best song ever folks, not 'ah I liked that song I guess, it should be in here'

Chart requirements - None. Let's open this up to album tracks as well, you may include any song you like.

Submit your nominations to me by 9am on Saturday, 15th February and we will kick off the first round proper/qualifiers (depending on popularity) possibly Sunday 16th February.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Update:

After some deliberation, I am also going to include the quarter finalists of the One Hit Wonder competition previously held - if they haven't already made the cut:

They are:

One Hit Wonders
    Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart
    Don't Fear the Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult
    Chris Isaak - Wicked Game
    The Buzzcocks - Ever Fallen In Love
    Nena - 99 Luftballons
    Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street
    Men Without Hats - The Safety Dance
    Eagle Eye Cherry - Save Tonight

Joy Division and Blue Oyster Cult have already qualified through the decades listed above however the other 6 will be automatically included. Some good, some bad - but all songs :)

Would it not make more sense to get the finalists of all those other ones first, and pitch the finalists against each other?

Or am i missing something there?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Would it not make more sense to get the finalists of all those other ones first, and pitch the finalists against each other?

Or am i missing something there?

That would remove the nomination element of it which, imo is half the fun.

There might be a song not on any of those lists that you really think deserves a shot at the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,811 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Mozart vs Beethoven final? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I'll have to put some serious thought into my other four ;)
    108-90167F-1080x1080.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Submitted!!!

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,355 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

done :)

Surprisingly few nominations thus far.

Loads of time yet however :)

Saturday, 9am :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Necro wrote: »
    Surprisingly few nominations thus far.

Loads of time yet however :)

Saturday, 9am :D

Thanks for the reminder! Done.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'm in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

PM sent! I proposed some classics which aren't necessarily my favourite songs of all-time.

Submissions have picked up nicely.

I have a grand total of 125 songs now for run off. Still time to enter your faves though :)

• I may chicken out on the submissions, not sure I can bear it any more to see my personal favourites getting no love from anyone else. :(
    But will happily participate in voting and perhaps putting others' personal faves to the sword! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭BandMember

I'll have to pass on making any nominations - it would melt my head trying to figure out which songs to nominate and which ones to leave out! Happy to vote though, so bring it on........ :)

That's absolutely fine folks, we have a great selection already to choose from.

Any stragglers still can nominate till 9am Saturday though :D

Just got my entries in, it was a mental minefield!

In the end I put in a couple of personal choices and a couple of songs that should do well but haven't featured in previous tournaments

Are instrumental pieces allowed?

Listening to a lot of John Williams at the momement, Duel of the Fates in particular.

Probably because of the Star Wars Werewolf game coming up.

If you want to submit an instrumental piece I wont stop you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

fixXxer wrote: »
    Are instrumental pieces allowed?

Listening to a lot of John Williams at the momement, Duel of the Fates in particular.

Probably because of the Star Wars Werewolf game coming up.

4 /5 of mine are no words

Clarabel wrote: »
    4 /5 of mine are no words

I'm sure your taste in music leaves many speechless.

• Advertisement

I was very tempted to go down the classical route, but then remembered in a clueless luddite!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

In, with today's best 5 evers, I'm sure they'd be a different 5 if I was asked yesterday too

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Mehaffey1 wrote: »
    In, with today's best 5 evers, I'm sure they'd be a different 5 if I was asked yesterday too

I feel the same about mine which I have finally submitted.

We are up to... 159 entries :D

Closing nominations at 9am tomorrow so last chance folks :)

Tournament thread will open tomorrow once I've set up my spreadsheet :)

Tournament Thread is now open :)

See you at 11am tomorrow!

Advertisement