Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The glorious 12th

Comments

Just looking on Snapchat and there was a machine taking pallets off the top. Snap from about 3 hrs ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

JupiterKid wrote: »
    There a times when I'm frankly ashamed to admit that I was born in Belfast.
    You shouldn't be, it's a great city.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,963 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

braidman wrote: »
    the knob heads on the other side will soon be building their bonfires to mark the anniversary of internment - one apes the other

I think you will find very view now in August its more community parties and such but don't let facts get in the way of whataboutary

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

https://twitter.com/SashaWylie/status/1149076874670354432

Pesky buildings making the fire service keep them cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I'm amazed no-one has set fire to the prepared bonfires a day or two early

Extremists would have a meltdown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

gctest50 wrote: »

They're pretty well guarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

It's a very dangerous thing to do. I think there were a couple of kids killed, back in the day, when bonfires were lit early as they'd been inside them in little lookouts and had fallen asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

It really is just a hate filled celebration of bigotry, sectarianism and intimidation.
    Nothing cultural whatsoever with colossal bonfires burning tonnes of rubber tyres.
    Just imagine the environmental impact if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Hate Ireland and the Irish but want to live in Ireland, and as ethno-religious supremacists on top of it all, odd bunch. (Not all of them, just the extreme element)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,963 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Good chance there is someone camping inside them to stop such things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

That wouldn't be very wise, all those nails in the pallets - might be struck by lightning

• Registered Users Posts: 13,276 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

blinding wrote: »
    I don’t think Antifa would fancy their chances on the Loyalist 11th Night:eek:

They're special guests as part of the burning torch relay that lights the bonfire.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Some of the comments here tell me so much about how a new Ireland is not ready.

Watch this doc.. Imagining ulster

https://youtu.be/i4uPipGPvSw

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

_blaaz wrote: »

That's bizarre. So the state police are saying 'dont disturb these mental fires, or the local thugs and killers will be after you'.

How about.. police the community? Police dangerous bonfires on public land?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭sjb25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

The extremists on both sides who build these things are complete knack bags but unfortunately there seems to be a hell of a lot of that sort of people up North.

Correct. In rural areas the day is more of just a family parade. Most areas do not have big bonfires. I cannot see the attraction in building bonfires. The Republicans do it too with anti internment anniversaries etc.
    One thing for sure, things are different up there, and there will never be a United Ireland in our lifetime, thank God.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

State of this prick confronting the police officer.

https://twitter.com/dingo_1916/status/1147940461644058624

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

we need to integrate these people into our society through unification and quick. not nearly enough maniac head-the-balls as it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Its as if they think they Own the Place . Westminster has a lot to answer for in creating That Northern Ireland . Its dying mind , slowly but surely .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,272 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Darwinism

• Advertisement

J Mysterio wrote: »
    That's bizarre. So the state police are saying 'dont disturb these mental fires, or the local thugs and killers will be after you'.

How about.. police the community? Police dangerous bonfires on public land?

They can't the state and the police are inherently pro loyalist, just more softly so than in the RUC days.

:eek: and the police just tolerate it, walk along side them. I really couldn't see the gardaí allowing that carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

cgcsb wrote: »
    :eek: and the police just tolerate it, walk along side them. I really couldn't see the gardaí allowing that carry on.

The same Gardai that let a load of guys dressed up like the IRA march down O'Connell street?

• Registered Users Posts: 66,820 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

mloc123 wrote: »
    The same Gardai that let a load of guys dressed up like the IRA march down O'Connell street?

The Gardai have no law to back them up on that though.

There are plenty of laws governing what is going on up in northern Ireland. Incitement to hatred, environmental damage etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Reading news online...

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/belfast-bonfire-organisers-urged-to-leave-leisure-centre-site-936182.html

The sheer size and so near houses is terrifying. Ominous for tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

janfebmar wrote: »
    Correct. In rural areas the day is more of just a family parade. Most areas do not have big bonfires. I cannot see the attraction in building bonfires. The Republicans do it too with anti internment anniversaries etc.

Belfast city centre is a great family day out also. People just sitting around, watching the bands going by and having a nice day out. A heck of a lot more civilised that St Patricks day, I can tell you that.

mloc123 wrote: »

Everyone has a constitutional right to freedom of assembly, that doesn't mean that carry-on like in that video is allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Berserker wrote: »
    Belfast city centre is a great family day out also. People just sitting around, watching the bands going by and having a nice day out. A heck of a lot more civilised that St Patricks day, I can tell you that.

go away with the family day out rubbish. family day out if you are of a certain persuasion. kick in the face if you arent

• Registered Users Posts: 66,820 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I wonder if we compared the policing of the entire island celebration of St Patrick's day and the policing of 12th, how big the disparity would be.

I am sure there were many in the US who enjoyed KKK days out and assemblies too, they had plenty of them before it was shown to them that the centre of what they were doing was rotten. Same with the Orange Order and the triumphalism of the 12th...at it's core it is rotten, and there is no getting away from that, as we see every single year.

Nobody has a problem with lawful assembly or 'people watching bands going by' but to suggest that this is all that happens is a lie and misleading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

:D Yeah... We often burn effigies of our neighbours on St Patrick's Day.

Advertisement