Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

retalivity wrote: »

How about also banning RTÉ from hiring contractor presenters, and insisting that all presenters/staff must be PAYE employees of RTÉ, thus paying the appropriate rates of income tax as per their salaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,231 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

retalivity wrote: »

Say what, must be some nefarious reason for this - has he been outside the spotlight too long
    Can't stand the guy but says something I agree with

• Registered Users Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

How about also banning RTÉ from hiring contractor presenters, and insisting that all presenters/staff must be PAYE employees of RTÉ, thus paying the appropriate rates of income tax as per their salaries.

then they will end up with a huge payroll of people on the upper end of the public sector pays scales and not be able to sack anyone although the factthat they can cut someones contract seems to escape RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 28,981 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

fritzelly wrote: »
    But there is not the population in Ireland to have a station to suit everyone's taste

there is the population , the problem is the high costs of running stations due to regulatory requirements. niche stations could survive with small scale advertising as long as their costs of running are allowed to be managed by the operators in a way that fits their business, rather then to fit the legacy requirements and barriers to entry.
    These outlier stations are just a money drain for the listenership they have

so be it as they provide a service and provide some bit of choice to the listener.
    there is already enough profitable, commercially owned and ran radio with it's pretend to be funny banter and other junk for those who want that.
    if you want blues or jazz or something more out there there are a multitude of free stations online for it.

online doesn't have the same coverage or portability as fm. so it's not an option for a lot of people unfortunately.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Say what, must be some nefarious reason for this - has he been outside the spotlight too long
    Can't stand the guy but says something I agree with

Well I have to disagree with his quality of service and pool of talent comment. Both are absent in RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

They could get away with hiring their own before the mid nineties, when there was no other media sources outside of pirate radio. Now we have hundreds of young folk graduating from media courses with certs and degrees every year. For decades now they could have been seeking out fresh new talent, technical and presentation, writing etc. I knew one lad, producer with TG4, he had complete free reign, had his own pet comedy sketch show he wrote and produced and he produced other shows off and on. There was a time when RTE powers that be interviewed numerous comics asking if they'd any ideas as they wanted to make a comedy show. That's how creative they are, like a factory. Stew was the result by the way. That's were Maeve Higgins came about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

They could get away with hiring their own before the mid nineties, when there was no other media sources outside of pirate radio. Now we have hundreds of young folk graduating from media courses with certs and degrees every year. For decades now they could have been seeking out fresh new talent, technical and presentation, writing etc. I knew one lad, producer with TG4, he had complete free reign, had his own pet comedy sketch show he wrote and produced and he produced other shows off and on. There was a time when RTE powers that be interviewed numerous comics asking if they'd any ideas as they wanted to make a comedy show. That's how creative they are, like a factory. Stew was the result by the way. That's were Maeve Higgins came about.

Stew was an atrocious 'comedy' show-genuinely was bereft of jokes. And Maeve Higgins came out of Naked Camera, not Stew.

The sad thing was, the pirate radio stations were the best training you could ask for. Genuinely.
    You had to learn fast, learn by the seat of your pants, and adapt on the spot to technical problems.
    Heck, when TG 4 first started, that's exactly what it felt like it was-a pirate TV station. In many respects, it often still feels like it.

The best DJ's of the 80s and 90s learned on Pirate radio. Jenny Greene learned in pretty much the same way as her forebearers.
    The problem is-people don't do that anymore. And they should, and could,because they have more avenues now. (Podcasts, Group discussions,even Twitch streams are better training grounds).

There's even a few presenters for RTE who started out making youtube videos. IT was great training... nowadays... folks come out expecting to get a job. Like, they 'deserve' it... nope, no they don't. Tough to hear, but nobody does.

On the other hand, I know many people who had to go to England, or further, and look into training in different fields. (And they had close connections to RTE folks-one got small spot on RTE, that was on the RTE player, showing a fashion tutorial. The other was related to a Sound Engineer in RTE. Didn't guarantee em a job).

Stew was an atrocious 'comedy' show-genuinely was bereft of jokes. And Maeve Higgins came out of Naked Camera, not Stew.

My mistake.
    There's even a few presenters for RTE who started out making youtube videos. IT was great training... nowadays... folks come out expecting to get a job. Like, they 'deserve' it... nope, no they don't. Tough to hear, but nobody does.

On the other hand, I know many people who had to go to England, or further, and look into training in different fields. (And they had close connections to RTE folks-one got small spot on RTE, that was on the RTE player, showing a fashion tutorial. The other was related to a Sound Engineer in RTE. Didn't guarantee em a job).

That's not my point. They do not advertise or give opportunities to these people. It's not people expecting jobs, it's RTE not offering to the general public.
    I know two lads who studied sound engineering and when exam time came one said, 'doesn't matter if we pass or not, his uncle works in RTE and has us both sorted for a job". He could have been lying but that's what he told me. I won't go into detail here but I know people got jobs through relatives in RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Who in their right mind would think "Stew" is a good name for a comedy show?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Who in their right mind would think "Stew" is a good name for a comedy show?

Is it any worse than "Porridge"? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Calhoun wrote: »
    We need to break it down into the hierachy of cuts. Marian i think is on top of that for me only because of the 4hours a week, the smokers cough, and the very large salary.

After that then, its a tie up between Ray and Tubs. I recon trial by combat is the way to go here.

After that then we can cull the radio stations and any of Gerry Ryan's children.

Keep Sean O'Rourke, John Creedon, John Kelly, Marty Whelan (Light Entertainment GOAT and national tasteful moustache champion), and Keelin Shanley.

Everyone else can go to the media glue factory.

Do a nationwide recruitment drive for new on-air talent and behind the camera journalists, researchers and producers on sensible contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I just noticed RTE 1 are repeating episodes of the awful All Round To Mrs Brown's. There is nothing wrong with repeats of current programmes a second night in the week so would not have any objection with BBC repeating Peaky Blinders and the like (and besides, this is a good show) but Mrs Brown, Room To Improve, Rachel Allen and At Your Service? No.

They're some cute hoors for the repeat programs during prime time. Just a couple of Fridays ago I drove by Tallaght Stadium and there was huge crowds outside it for the Shamrock Rovers v Bohemians game, it was completely sold out. Nice one says I, will watch that when I get home. Get in the door and switch on RTE2 but instead of showing the football they were showing a repeat of the Big Bang Theory. It was from Season 2 so I looked it up and that season was released in 2009. So RTE were showing a repeat of a 10 year old American sitcom at 7.30pm on a Friday evening rather than one of the biggest games of football all season. Unbelievable stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

We are a long way from the days of "Bog One and Bog Two",it cant possibly co exist with the likes of Netflix, streaming services etc in the modern era. Cull ALL its seemingly untouchable sacred cows like Tubridy etc, sell its campus and reinvent itself as a purely a public service broadcaster providing news, sport and low budget indigenous content. They are already spending a fortune on buying in British and American programming that most people have seen months ago from its source of origin anyway. Much like another rotten Irish institution, An Garda, it will take an outsider to come in and wield the sword, Forbes is evidently too cosy with the old boy network and would never have got the position in the first place if she was a radical enough to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭satguy

I just had a quick look at their schedule for Sunday 15 SEP,, and the whole day is nearly all repeats, the whole bloody day.

https://entertainment.ie/tv/rte-one/?date=15-09-2019&time=all-day

Nearly every show has an "R" after it !

Why am I being ask to pay for this pure rubbish, a pure waste of money. Someone really needs to be sacked here.

satguy wrote: »
    I just had a quick look at their schedule for Sunday 15 SEP,, and the whole day is nearly all repeats, the whole bloody day.

https://entertainment.ie/tv/rte-one/?date=15-09-2019&time=all-day

Nearly every show has an "R" after it !

Why am I being ask to pay for this pure rubbish, a pure waste of money. Someone really needs to be sacked here.

Its actually getting worse the last year which I didnt think was possible, the nadir repeating Mrs. Browns Boys xmas special in the midst of Summer. The only time I actually back this government in its austerity ideology is telling RTE to f-off when they went cap in hand for more dough to piss away.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Muahahaha wrote: »
    They're some cute hoors for the repeat programs during prime time. Just a couple of Fridays ago I drove by Tallaght Stadium and there was huge crowds outside it for the Shamrock Rovers v Bohemians game, it was completely sold out. Nice one says I, will watch that when I get home. Get in the door and switch on RTE2 but instead of showing the football they were showing a repeat of the Big Bang Theory. It was from Season 2 so I looked it up and that season was released in 2009. So RTE were showing a repeat of a 10 year old American sitcom at 7.30pm on a Friday evening rather than one of the biggest games of football all season. Unbelievable stuff.

dont eir sport have the live coverage rights ?

You can set an excellently written drama in a coal cupboard. I don't buy into it all being about money.

You can set an excellently written drama in a coal cupboard. I don't buy into it all being about money.

Yea maybe a BBC production of a Harold Pinter play in the 70's but people have come to expect the spectacle of a Netflix production nowadays.

Yea maybe a BBC production of a Harold Pinter play in the 70's but people have come to expect the spectacle of a Netflix production nowadays.

There's a middle ground. Look at Fair City, (low hanging fruit I know) it has sets and a decent time slot, yet it's like RTE said, 'we should really have a soap, all the others do'.
    Then you've practically every studio show, bleak dim lighting with everyone casting shadows.
    My point is quality doesn't have to cost the moon. Blaming lack of funds all the time is on their management of money. More money, better paid more of the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Its actually getting worse the last year which I didnt think was possible, the nadir repeating Mrs. Browns Boys xmas special in the midst of Summer. The only time I actually back this government in its austerity ideology is telling RTE to f-off when they went cap in hand for more dough to piss away.

Christmas television on RTE is pure dross, they all must be off over the holidays and have their poor cousins stepping in. Same with new years. Pure crap

• Advertisement

jk23 wrote: »
    Christmas television on RTE is pure dross, they all must be off over the holidays and have their poor cousins stepping in. Same with new years. Pure crap

Another hilarious thing about RTE is how the 'talent' somehow deserve teachers holidays in the Summer, just skeleton staff there pressing play on repeats.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭briany

jk23 wrote: »

The only reason I turn on RTE over Christmas is to confirm that the schedule is pure crap.

It's 2019. Most of us have a few options as far as Christmas entertainment goes. Fair enough, I can understand the auld Kerry farmer watching it, who's stuck in his ways, but the rest of us have moved on a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

briany wrote: »
    The only reason I turn on RTE over Christmas is to confirm that the schedule is pure crap.

It's 2019. Most of us have a few options as far as Christmas entertainment goes. Fair enough, I can understand the auld Kerry farmer watching it, who's stuck in his ways, but the rest of us have moved on a little.

:eek:

Bit early to open up the ‘Oiling up the Tape recorders in Montrose’

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Doblin

Two Christmases ago an ole episode of Fawlty towers was shown on RTE 2 as a filler on December 27th night and it was one of the most watched things on the channel all year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I know this story is related to dead animals but the headline of this story is hilarious.

Dead animal collections halted as knackery strike continues

https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2019/0913/1075780-knackeries-strike-agriculture/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,231 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Just seen a promo from Howie Mandel for VM for AGT on VM
    Has that ever happened on rte?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Watched the Prime time piece on the RTE cuts. Tbf, they touched on a number of ppls criticisms of RTE - the pay, the fact it's made a loss the last number of years etc.
    Though they left out a number of others - nepotism, over unionized.
    Having Pat rabbitte on as RTE spokesperson was a bit weird though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

briany wrote: »

Just buy "the sun" newspaper and it has a great Xmas tv guide.....throw the paper part of sun in bid.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Just seen a promo from Howie Mandel for VM for AGT on VM
    Has that ever happened on rte?

I dont know what any of rhis means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Just buy "the sun" newspaper and it has a great Xmas tv guide.....throw the paper part of sun in bid.....

Just use the EPG and Showcase on your satellite box. For rte, that TV guide from 2017 will probably give you a good enough idea of what's on.

Advertisement