Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

22 syrian families arrive in ireland, then what?

• 27-12-2018 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/1227/1019182-syria-refugees/

I have some questions about how this whole system works....

>What happens after they arrive here? It says they will be put into permanent
    housing, and I assume given social welfare payments and various benefits ?

>Will they be given job training and college courses ?

>Are refugees prioritized over Irish citizens for housing and other state
    benefits since they are looked at as sort of an emergency case ?

>Are refugees given a guaranteed citizenship when they are accepted here ?

>What is expected of refugees in Ireland in the long term? Are they expected
    to get jobs and pay tax contributions straight away or is that waved for "x"
    amount of years while they settle themselves into a new society ?

I don't understand enough about how refugees in Ireland are settled and probably many others don't know either. Explain to those not in the know how exactly how this works in 2018'.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Once the war in their own country is over, these doctors and lawyers will be hotfooting it back there to help restablish their society

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

22 Irish families are taken off the council list and given a forever home in Syria. Exchange programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 2019

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/1227/1019182-syria-refugees/

I don't understand enough about how refugees in Ireland are settled and probably many others don't know either. Explain to those not in the know how exactly how this works in 2018'.

These are people in desperate need of help. I welcome my government for letting them in. Forget about the politics of this situation and think about the human need. Their country has been devastated by war and its these people , the innocent that is suffering. It wasnt that to long ago us Irish needed help from the international community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

What about the lads fleeing from war torn France? Won't anyone think of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Uboat

22 Irish families are taken off the council list and given a forever home in Syria. Exchange programme.

Send them back. The war is almost over in Syria.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭baldbear

2 families coming to my town in Longford. Locals did a collection for them because they wanted to make them feel welcome.

I prefer to see them in my town that all the lazy dole heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭enricoh

After a brief stint in mosney, some quango will compete with working couples renting or buying the few houses available locally. Only one winner there!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've no problem temporarily supporting genuine refugees (spot the key words there), but once it's safe for them to return home they should do so, or apply for residency through established methods.

Bollox to this idea of shortcuts to permanent residency and citizenship though. It's very obvious in recent times that our State broadcaster is heavily pushing this agenda with all these pro-migrant "news"/advertising features and even a prime-time TV show.

2019 wrote: »
    These are people in desperate need of help. I welcome my government for letting them in. Forget about the politics of this situation and think about the human need. Their country has been devastated by war and its these people , the innocent that is suffering. It wasnt that to long ago us Irish needed help from the international community.

The financial crisis you mean? The most expensive favour in Irish history. Don't let all the good news Recovery stories fool you - this country is still up to its neck in debt and right on course to repeat the same mistakes of a decade ago.

As I said above, providing a temporary sanctuary for genuine cases I have no problem with so long as it's within our real ability to provide .. but that's as far as it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Wompa1

then what?

They live happily ever after, I hope!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I've no problem temporarily supporting genuine refugees (spot the key words there), but once it's safe for them to return home they should do so, or apply for residency through established methods.

Bollox to this idea of shortcuts to permanent residency and citizenship though. It's very obvious in recent times that our State broadcaster is heavily pushing this agenda with all these pro-migrant "news"/advertising features and even a prime-time TV show.

Syria needs rebuilding, so once these folks get back on their feet, they should be aiming to assist in the rebuilding of their country that has been turned into a demolition site in the course of this decade.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 137 ✭✭toyotafan

I dont like muslim and most of them are. Rape, killed would be a problem when they came. I could see from Germany. Dont know what to do if this happened in our lovely country. Many Irish people dont have house but these people will have "permanent housing" as a funny sound. I met a family in Galway, I think from Syria. They were living in a hotel and got money from Irish govermemt for one year while waiting for their papers. The man said, they would have a Stamp 4 residence permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Sadb

There are several different categories of refugees/asylum seekers, benefits vary depending on which category you fall into.

once your refugee status is granted you are given an 8 week language and training course to help get you into the work force.

No

No, citizenship is an entirely different process

Once their refugee status has been granted they are expected to work like everyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

then what ?.
    Then they will bring their relatives to join them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Let's be clear with the numbers though. From today's Irish Independent:

"A total of 105 people will be resettled here today, including 58 children. They join 97 persons resettled to Ireland from Lebanon last week, bringing the total number resettled this month to 202.
    Today's arrivals will initially stay in the Emergency Reception and Orientation centre in Ballaghaderreen, Co Roscommon, while they await permanent housing."

The one item of note from the article was what our Minister of State David Stanton stated about the welcoming of the refugee families in Ballaghaderreen: "It is a model that I would like to see embraced in communities right across the country," he said.

Does that mean we are getting so many more refugees in the future that communities "right across the country" will have to embrace them similarly?
    I would like the government to be honest with us on the projections of the real numbers our communities should expect going forward.

As echoed earlier, these refugees who just arrived should be given as much assistance as possible with the eventual goal for their safe return to Syria. If they cannot safely return, then I am reasonably confident that they will be productive in Ireland. The difference between Syrian refugees and non-EU economic migrants claiming to be refugees, is that genuine refugees are grateful for our assistance and will contribute to our society.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Any public statistical information out there to show how many refugees were given citizenship over the years and how many left the country ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,380 ✭✭✭✭road_high

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Absolutely. Should only ever be a temporary thing with limited social service “rights”.
    Country is far too lax as it is with awarding citizenship to all and sundry, we don’t need more on an even easier route. Australian style migration system is what’s needed here- points based reflecting the needs of OUR country and economy.

Once the war in their own country is over, these doctors and lawyers will be hotfooting it back there to help restablish their society

You reckon?....

Which should be on a temporary basis with repatriation as things recover in their home country

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭jmreire

If the war in Syria ever ends ( don't bet that it will be over soon.....) then not only will the Doctors, Lawyers etc. return home, but nearly every Syrian refugee will go back there too. In fact some have already left Europe an returned home. Big problem for a lot of them is to find the €4000 they need to pay the Govt fine for leaving without doing their compulsory military service, and availing of the amnesty, but even after paying that...they are still liable to do the 2 years conscription, and like I have said..that war is not over yet !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,038 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Had a family come to my village just recently.

Nothing wrong with helping those who house has been blown away in name of some war.

Once they behave and try get on with their lives no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Im all for helping the genuine cases.

jmreire wrote: »
    If the war in Syria ever ends ( don't bet that it will be over soon.....) then not only will the Doctors, Lawyers etc. return home, but nearly every Syrian refugee will go back there too. In fact some have already left Europe an returned home. Big problem for a lot of them is to find the €4000 they need to pay the Govt fine for leaving without doing their compulsory military service, and availing of the amnesty, but even after paying that...they are still liable to do the 2 years conscription, and like I have said..that war is not over yet !!!

Which absolutely is what should be encouraged and supported - I’m sure most of them want to settle back to their own country. Not some strange country they’ve no connection or affinity towards, lacking the resources to soak up an influx long term

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ConnyMcDavid

There is no war in Lebanon the last time I checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,103 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Lot of signalling in some of these posts. We welcomed German refugees at the end of WW2. We didn't demand any return to Germany to rebuild it. Ireland can easily absorb the small number involved and they will enrich our society, when they integrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭jmreire

There is no war in Lebanon the last time I checked.[/QUOTE
    These refugees are Syrian, living in Lebanese camps, that's where they have come from. And they were selected after a long process.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

2-3 years ago yes, but the war is over. There are only small pocket's that still have activity.

There is no war in Lebanon the last time I checked.

Some of the countries we are excepting “refugees” from are beyond bizzare in the piss take stakes.
    South Africa anyone ? Now I’m well aware their society has deep problems but last time I checked it had plenty of wealth (Albeit unevenly distributed)- some of these places have infinitely more wealth than us but yet we’re the ones paying for their refugees?
    Albania is another- I’m well aware it’s one of the poorest nations in Europe- but refugees from there? Total joke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

jmreire wrote: »

Or HSE can offer them good paid jobs meanwhile - 4k would be easy to source then.

- I have my doubts refugees would be returning home in this lifetime.

But as long as they get assimilated into Irish culture (same as I am), we should be grand.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    Lot of signalling in some of these posts. We welcomed German refugees at the end of WW2. We didn't demand any return to Germany to rebuild it. Ireland can easily absorb the small number involved and they will enrich our society, when they integrate.

I think the signalling you refer to is right there in your own post.

Genuine refugees are fleeing war, persecution or death. They have been forced out of their homes and so will naturally want to reclaim it when safe to do so.

These are the refugees we should be supporting (within practical limits) until they can.

Long-term "integration and enrichment" is a different class of migrant entirely and not covered by the above. Nor should it be. There are other legal methods for such migrants to gain entry and residency here. Let them use those.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement