Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1,000 marchers march against Gardai in Castlerea, Roscommon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Garda having a bad time in Roscommon anyone have anymore info on what happened here?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/hundreds-protest-in-castlerea-over-men-s-alleged-assault-by-garda-1.3733223

Two men attacked a guard when he tried to stop them to question them. The guard fought back and 700 people went out to march because Roscommon is backwards as ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

GarIT wrote: »
    Two men attacked a guard when he tried to stop them to question them. The guard fought back and 700 people went out to march because Roscommon is backwards as ****.

The guards certainly have their own spin on it in the papers, id be careful believing all that is spun out to the crime reporters.

There is now way a couple of hundred people in a small town came out to support a pair of burglars.

There must be more to this story.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

The guards certainly have their own spin on it in the papers, id be careful believing all that is spun out to the crime reporters.

There is now way a couple of hundred people in a small town came out to support a pair of burglars.

I misread it at first, I don't think even the Gardaí have said they were burglars. Just that there was a burglary nearby and the gard tried to stop them to ask them about it. And they attacked the gard.

People that claim to be locals say the men were drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I'd take the word of a "holier than thou" relative over the Garda spin machine to be honest. Said relative would not be out marching for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

And there's no way 50 people would queue up in court to shake the hand of someone convicted of sexually assaulting a woman.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/people-queued-to-shake-this-sex-attackers-hand-108061.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Story ive heard is that gardai got word of a break in in a shop and these two local men were walking home from pub home as they have done a thousands of times and just happened to be walking in area of shop when garda arrived on scene, the garda started asking them what are they doing and where are they going etc and remember neither man was aware of break in and one of mens relations even owns shop, so older man walked away saying hes going home and garda striked him in head with battern and repeatedly hit him then younger man tried to pull garda off older man and they got into scuffle.
    The garda is not very liked in area and is well known for being aggresive.
    The men are not scangers or rough people in anyway and they were not aggresive towards garda ao i hear but again this is all heard through the grapevine and i am not a local of roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

i am not a local of roscommon.

Very few are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

1,000 dissident members of the public have demonstrated showing dissent against alleged Garda brutality in their town. Their MEP Luke Ming Flanagan was in the march from the local Lidl to the Garda station.
    The FFG mouthpiece the Indo and the state mouthpiece RTE have not reported on this significant event. This show of dissent has been reported in the Irish Times and the Sun above all places. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/hundreds-protest-in-castlerea-over-men-s-alleged-assault-by-garda-1.3733223
    https://www.thesun.ie/news/3523690/protesters-roscommon-two-men-injured-in-cop-confrontation/
    I do not recall such a mass demonstration against Gardai in a town in this country before, is this the beginning of the end for Garda authority and perhaps a sign that we need a new police force?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I don't think I've ever heard of anything like that before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

I don't think I've ever heard of anything like that before

It's quite astonishing! These were ordinary people in a small town in rural Ireland marching against the behaviour of their own police service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Another thread on this, really?

Although the numbers have gone up to 4 figure now since the march. The lore is building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Seems like normal people on the march.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭pearcider

Interesting to see the various tensions building in advance of the hard brexit. AGS a farce with incompetent and corrupt management coupled with low morale in the grass roots. Morale at rock bottom in the defense forces. Can’t even get anyone to join the navy. Blue shirt zombie government completely out of touch in Dublin and sleep walking into disaster while our unelected Taoiseach is busy tweeting on nights out with celebs. Our Republic is walking into major trouble next year in my opinion. Anyway with half a brain can see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

klaaaz wrote: »

1,000 dissident members of the public have demonstrated showing dissent against alleged Garda brutality in their town.

Great they could all get the day off at such short notice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

The town hasn't been this united since the campaign against gay marriage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Although the numbers have gone up to 4 figure now since the march. The lore is building.

In fairness two newspapers are carrying varying figures. One states 700 and the other up to a 1000. Castlerea is a small provincial town. Even 500 people marching through the streets is a sizeable turnout and more distrubing when they are protesting against the Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

What is a dissident member of the public?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

gctest50 wrote: »

It was a Sunday.

gctest50 wrote: »

It was a Sunday :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

some irish just love playing the "victomhood" card

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭emo72

Who decided to use the term "dissident". That's bizarre. Was everyone polled for their political views?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Easy to whip small towns into a "show of solidarity" without the full facts.

Remember when some of the population of a town shook the hand of a convicted rapist on their way out of a courtroom?

Also "Garda brutality" is a lovely way to whip up some anger.

It sounds like a case of mistaken identity that resulted im a Garda using force against the wrong people.

"Brutality" makes it sound like they're constantly dragging people off the streets to beat seven shades out of them. The word is used by people with a clear agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭randd1

The obvious solution here for the people of Castlerea would be for the Gardaí to remove any presence of themselves from the town and remain vacant from the District until such a time as the people of Castlerea have come up with an alternative policing authority (locally sourced and funded by local taxes from within the Castlerea District area) that applies the letter of the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

gctest50 wrote:

Ohh, that's a realy witty retort.
    By the way, the march was on a Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

gctest50 wrote:

Could be because it was a Sunday.

seamus wrote: »

Remember when some of the population of a town shook the hand of a convicted rapist on their way out of a courtroom?

Also "Garda brutality" is a lovely way to whip up some anger.

It sounds like a case of mistaken identity that resulted im a Garda using force against the wrong people.

"Brutality" makes it sound like they're constantly dragging people off the streets to beat seven shades out of them. The word is used by people with a clear agenda.
    is it really that easy though? How often are there such large protests against the Gardai?
    Now personally I'm not too interested in the rights and wrongs of the particular incident but rather that so many people feel strongly enough about it and the Gardai to go out on the street

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

There's obviously history here,not just one incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Mrsmum wrote: »
    It was a Sunday.

Exactly, they just went for a stroll after mass.

Didn't really give up anything now did they ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

seamus wrote: »

Far more likely that the locals know everything, from every angle including the people involved. That's what being local in a country area is all about. These weren't rent a crowd people like some protest in urban areas tend to have,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,646 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It was a Sunday :confused:

I do love when the predictable "unemployed waster" attempt to discredit any objections to how things are run in this country falls flat on its arse like this :p

Like most here I think, I don't know the full background to the case in question but I've seen the video and read/heard the coverage (side note : Newstalk really need to do something about their new entirely one-sided on everything breakfast team) and seeing the 2 Gardai stand watching while 2 men are physically dragged out the gate is disgraceful from our supposed law enforcement agency.

AGS is broken beyond redemption anyway IMO and this is yet another example. As I've said before, only a complete RUC/PSNI-style restructuring is going to restore general confidence in the organisation at this point.

Advertisement