Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

• 17-10-2018 7:58am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/presidential-election-2018/listen-presidential-candidate-peter-casey-believes-travellers-should-not-be-recognised-as-an-ethnic-minority-37428508.html

Pretty bold statement...not a bad strategy though, unlikely many travellers vote, if any. The vast majority of voters despise them but can’t say as much.

“His comments were last night described by Pavee Point as “ill-informed and grossly insulting and offensive”.

And David Joyce, a member of the Travelling community and the Irish Human Rights and Equality Commission, told the Irish Independent: “He should withdraw from the campaign. He’s shown he’s not fit to represent all the people of Ireland.
    “This man is a racist. He is scapegoating my community.”

What does scapegoating my community mean in relation to his opinion that they should not be recognised as an ethnic minority? In fact what does “scapegoating my community” even mean?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Pavee Point have nothing to worry about if they look at the opinion polls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Never heard of Peter Casey. In a week or two I never will again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Wonder will he get more support following this

• Registered Users Posts: 32,872 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Neither a fan of his nor theirs, but status as an ethnic minority is not defined by how much tax you pay or don't pay.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DChancer

Really doesn't matter what he thinks as the president doesn't get to make decisions like that.
    More populist bull**** from the man with 2% in the opinion polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

He will get a vote from me

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

You can bet on it. Straight from the Bannon playbook. Ireland has a void in the hierarchy for people expressing these sentiments, I'm gonna say he will get 20% in the polls if he carries on like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Fair dues to him for speaking his mind and he's dead right,but its not PC these days....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Besides the controversial statement, why are any of these jabronis even going for the presidency? It's a dead race already and was always going to be. You'd think so-called "Dragons" would realise these trends ahead of everyone else. Then you've the Sinn Fein candidate saying she'll wear a poppy. These folks are trying desperately at the last hurdle to conjour up something, anything but the other wee fella in the big house already had it wrapped up before the starting gun went off.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

Omackeral wrote: »
    Besides the controversial statement, why are any of these jabronis even going for the presidency? It's a dead race already and was always going to be. You'd think so-called "Dragons" would realise these trends ahead of everyone else. Then you've the Sinn Fein candidate saying she'll wear a poppy. These folks are trying desperately at the last hurdle to conjour up something, anything but the other wee fella in the big house already had it wrapped up before the starting gun went off.

Purely for self promotion. They’re blissfully aware of this and know they haven’t a hope. And it’s working, who even heard of any of these ars*holes before they put themselves forward as candidates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

He's not wrong though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭BobMc

Least he had the balls to say what many believe ethnic minority my arse

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Higgins was in full on shocked and appalled outraged mode over this on his RTÉ interview earlier so I looked up Casey’s comments to see what the fuss is about.

He disagrees with them being recognized as a ethnic minority.

Says they avoid tax and that house prices drop when travelers move onto an area.

Says they camp on other ppl’s land.

Says the Tipperary situation with travelers demanding stables with their new houses is ridiculous.

Quote:

He cited an ongoing dispute in Tipperary where six new homes are lying empty in a €1.7m development because families living on an unauthorised site nearby are refusing to move in until they get stables for horses.

“I mean how ridiculous have we become as a society where they are turning down beautiful, four-bedroom houses because there’ll blackmailing the county council into giving them stables for their horses.

“I’m sorry, there’s something seriously wrong with society when we’re at that stage,” Mr Casey said.

Nothing overly controversial there so what’s the fuss ?

Update: lots of criticism directed at him -he says no apology for his comments and he’s planning to visit the Tipperary housing development tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I doubt he'll lose much, if any, of his existing support (such as it is). Judging by his general conduct throughout the campaign so far, he's guaranteed the pig-ignorant shit vote anyway. Such people might be over-represented on AH, but they represent only a tiny proportion of the electorate.

Michael D, on the other hand, encapsulates the inherent decency of the majority of Irish people.

https://twitter.com/MichaelDHiggins/status/1052465865289912320

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Breaking news...SF candidate to canvas the country in a Wanderley Wagon covered in poppies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

His comments are reasonable. Why in a Republic of equal citizens should one group be given additional status with extra privileges?

It's telling that no single public criticism of his comments has even attempted to argue with them on their own merits, instead he's just been attacked as racist and irresponsible. I think it's sinister that anyone expressing reasonable views that many Irish agree with will get shouted down in this manner and I'll consider voting for him as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

He will get a vote from me

Me too. He only said what the vast majority of the country think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Ah AH, never change!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I have just listened to that interview, and agree with him,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Higgins was in full on shocked and appalled outraged mode over this on his RTÉ interview earlier so I looked up Casey’s comments to see what the fuss is about.

He disagrees with them being recognized as a ethnic minority

Says they avoid tax and that house prices drop when travelers move onto an area.

Says they camp on other ppl’s land.

Says the Tipperary situation with travelers demanding stables with their new houses is ridiculous.

not overly controversial remarks. What’s the fuss ?

Well....no....they are controversial.

They shouldn't be controversial though, not having a serious, open and constructive debate about these things isn't doing anyone any good, including travellers.

I'm not quite sure how we ended up in a situation where we have an entire section of the population that seems nearly immune to any kind of criticism.

It's most bizarre

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I doubt he'll lose much, if any, of his existing support (such as it is). Judging by his general conduct throughout the campaign so far, he's guaranteed the pig-ignorant shit vote anyway. Such people might be over-represented on AH, but they represent only a tiny proportion of the electorate.

Michael D, on the other hand, encapsulates the inherent decency of the majority of Irish people.

https://twitter.com/MichaelDHiggins/status/1052465865289912320

Bullsh*t, most of the Irish population despise travellers,but if you speak out you will be labeled a racist by the PC brigade like yourself. If any political party takes a stance against travellers they will pull in a lot of votes in the next general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

DChancer wrote: »
    Really doesn't matter what he thinks as the president doesn't get to make decisions like that.
    More populist bull**** from the man with 2% in the opinion polls.

Actually not a fan of this candidate from the get go with his blatant bribery tactics but he hasn't actually been spouting the populist bull**** on a range of matters, this included. I haven't read the article, just the headlines but I do agree with the comment on 'ethnic status'. As I understand it, it was in fact granted about 6 months before genetic studies were concluded that Irish traveller origins are no different to the general Irish population. The only difference genetically points to a relatively recent split from the general Irish population in recent centuries. Some believe that is enough to support an 'ethnic status'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Actually not a fan of this candidate from the get go with his blatant bribery tactics but he hasn't actually been spouting the populist bull**** on a range of matters, this included. I haven't read the article, just the headlines but I do agree with the comment on 'ethnic status'. As I understand it, it was in fact granted about 6 months before genetic studies were concluded that Irish traveller origins are no different to the general Irish population. The only difference genetically points to a relatively recent split from the general Irish population in recent centuries.

Fishing in the same pool tends to negate diversity.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Ha. Higgins going for the usual safe, PC line more like it.

It takes people to make change happen, not just some bull**** nice fancy label like "ethnic minority".

Not a fan of Casey but I admire him for speaking his mind in a country where it's not cool to do so if your opinion is in any way at odds with the latest liberal fad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

He is correct in what he says, possibly not going far enough. If anything this will garner him votes as the vast majority of people outside of the hysterical media have absolutely no time for travellers with good reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

The only difference genetically points to a relatively recent split from the general Irish population in recent centuries. Some believe that is enough to support an 'ethnic status'.

From what I understand the studies pointed to there being differences that would be brought on by long term consanguinity.

Make of that what you will, I'd point out the obvious but perhaps it's best I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I feel he’s just playing the lowest common denominator by saying what he thinks people will like he’s hoping to be seen as a plausible candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭irishproduce

He will be getting my vote. The comments act as a representation of his views and so I am happy to vote for him.
    Conversations need to be had about various things in Irish life, one of them is the special treatment of travellers to the detriment of others, law abiding, contributing. others mind you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

His point about 'ethnic minority' status is fair. There's actually NO scientific evidence to back this up and it was rushed in. It's a total con.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement