Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Family of seven sleep in Garda station Mod note post one

• 09-08-2018 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,867 ✭✭✭✭

I totally believe that we have a massive housing shortage & homeless crises but six young kids setup for a publicity stunt like this??

Six kids. Where is the father/ fathers??

I'm sick to death of people like this setting up publicity stunts in the hope that they get to skip the queue.It's the likes of this "mother" that gives genuine homeless people a bad rep
    EDIT: LINK

Mod Note
    Saying the f**king children upsets some people. So don't use words like that.
    However feel free to discuss things about this situation.
    Like how did the situation happen?
    Being either Margaret's one or other people you know?
    How can this be fixed being it by the government or people's themselves.
    Margaret is also very active on social media and the media in general so these things will be discussed of course because this is a discussion forum.
    All within reason of course.
    No naughty words or over generalising.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

When you say sleep, have they all been arrested and spent the night in the slammer?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,990 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Have you a link for context?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Registered Users Posts: 14,363 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

• Registered Users Posts: 16,867 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

ED E wrote:
    OP should really contain a link.........

Sorry I forgot the link. Thanks for posting it

• Advertisement

john4321 wrote: »

To show they are of school going age of course.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Sorry I forgot the link. Thanks for posting it

There's a joke to be made about your username and this situation but I can't think of one.

I'm usually on threads defending homeless people but this prendy ****e makes me sick. In future debates here on boards.ie this mother will be used as mud to throw at the debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I don't get it. Why were they in the station?

Was the mother picked up on some type of criminal charge?

Also what's with the school uniforms? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I'm usually on threads defending homeless people but this prendy ****e makes me sick. In future debates here on boards.ie this mother will be used as mud to throw at the debate.

You obviously didn't hear about the wan in Cork with 13 children sleeping in tents on the beach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Was the mother picked up on some type of criminal charge?

Some homeless get advised to go their local Garda station. My son is a guard, this is a regular occurrence where he is stationed. Before I'm asked where he is stationed I won't be answering other than to say it's a divisional hq.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

john4321 wrote: »

Helps the "optics" - sadly you can't see the carefully practiced compo faces but sure there will be more.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

https://twitter.com/AnthonyICHH/status/1027362851592261632
    CEO/ Co- Founder Inner City Helping Homeless, Housing/Homeless Advocate. Winner @98fm Best of Dublin 2018. Winner European Citizens Awards 2018.
    Hmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Yer wan must have a great job

Not too many couples in this day and age could afford to plan for 6 kids

Never mind a single person on their own

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭suilegorma

I can't see that they are school uniforms? Shirts and slacks yes but I don't know any school that has check shirts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Why does no-one ever question why the parents have 6/10/13 children?? I have one, would like to have another one but myself and my partner think we can't afford it, even both working full time on pretty average wages. We couldn't even in our wildest dreams afford 3.
    Not to mention where the hell are the fathers??

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'd share the opinion that for the most part these things are publicity stunts to get up the list or something similar.

Are there really so many famous knocking around that their own friends and families care so little for that, even if they had a falling out with the mother, they won't let the kids sleep on the floor in a sitting room or something rather than be on the streets?

Not one member of their own family, the fathers family or any of their friends was willing to give up any space in their homes to keep the kids off the street?

Hitman3000 wrote:
    Some homeless get advised to go their local Garda station. My son is a guard, this is a regular occurrence where he is stationed. Before I'm asked where he is stationed I won't be answering other than to say it's a divisional hq.

Totally correct.
    When a family of seven announces late in the day that they are homeless there is no emergency accommodation for them that night. They are directed to Garda Station so they have to roof over their heads for the night.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,053 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Will she conceive a 7th, whilst sleeping on those benches?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Wow that photo is the biggest set up photo I've ever seen.

Even looks like a photographer was brought in to tell the kids where to go and which position to lay in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Mrs and Mr mcarthy claim to have been on the housing list 11 years before being made homeless

I'd share the opinion that for the most part these things are publicity stunts to get up the list or something similar.

Are there really so many famous knocking around that their own friends and families care so little for that, even if they had a falling out with the mother, they won't let the kids sleep on the floor in a sitting room or something rather than be on the streets?

Not one member of their own family, the fathers family or any of their friends was willing to give up any space in their homes to keep the kids off the street?

Oh I imagine they were but who is going to photograph that ?

And to another poster who asked about the number of kids - I asked once about the one in the car outside Clare Council - she said her and the boyfriend had been "homeless" for 5 years.

Four of the kids were under 5. But apparently I'm "heartless" for asking why people without stable lodgings for them and a child would have four more ?

beertons wrote: »
    Will she conceive a 7th, whilst sleeping on those benches?

I'd lay odds on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Yer wan is obviously not capable of looking after her kids properly.
    Would social services not be intervening to get the kids looked after until the mother gets her life sorted and can afford to give her six kids a proper upbringing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I totally believe that we have a massive housing shortage & homeless crises but six young kids setup for a publicity stunt like this??

Six kids. Where is the father/ fathers??

I'm sick to death of people like this setting up publicity stunts in the hope that they get to skip the queue.It's the likes of this "mother" that gives genuine homeless people a bad rep
    My sentiments exactly. No doubt this topic will be covered in the media today, but not one single correspondent/reporter will question the authenticity of this case or, in the event that it is true, will ask the hard questions. I heard some mouthpiece on the radio yesterday complaining about the lack of housing for her and her FIVE kids. The presenter (think it was Boucher-Hayes standing in for Joe Duffy) did not for a second query her on her own job situation, if the father/fathers of the five kids were present with her (no mention of father, so I presume not), the job situation of the father/fathers, etc. I've no doubt that woman is picking up childrens allowance for all 5 of her kids, so not alone is the state (i.e. you and I who pay tax) paying for her kids, but she wants a free house as well. These people need a bloody wake up call and take responsibility for their actions, but I guess this is the outcome when a culture of freeloading is left to fester.
    I do feel sorry for the genuine cases out there, but the media tend to focus on these bleeding-heart cases, most of which are completely disingenuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

What the f**k does it matter if they're wearing school uniforms? Kids shouldn't be sleeping in a Garda station at any time, wearing anything.

This is what is wrong with public discourse this day, people pick tiny little holes and then refuse to look at the bigger picture which is a homelessness and housing crisis which is now endemic and getting worse. The school uniforms don't matter a jot!!!

Gatling wrote: »
    Mrs and Mr mcarthy claim to have been on the housing list 11 years before being made homeless

So if we believe them - the kids were likely all born whilst they were in a precarious financial position ?

Why are we rewarding these chancers ????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

well of course something needs to be done immediately. I suggest social workers take the children into care and provide foster homes for them as the mother is clearly incapable of meeting their needs.

With the lost of the weekly paypacket, i mean children, then others will reconsider pulling the same stupid publicity stunt in the future. Also, 6 kids, no father? surely at some point you would start to think, i can't afford to have more kids. Its not the 60s for goodness sake, use contraception.

Lux23 wrote: »
    What the f**k does it matter if they're wearing school uniforms? Kids shouldn't be sleeping in a Garda station at any time, wearing anything.

This is what is wrong with public discourse this day, people pick tiny little holes and then refuse to look at the bigger picture which is a homelessness and housing crisis which is now endemic and getting worse. The school uniforms don't matter a jot!!!

Oh but they do when they are being used as a prop to hoodwink well meaning but very naive people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Lux23 wrote: »

Either does actually reading the replies by the look of it......

But sure grab a snippet and run with it there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement