Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R.I.P Stephen Hawking

• 14-03-2018 4:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭

Stephen Hawking, the brightest star in the firmament of science, whose insights shaped modern cosmology and inspired global audiences in the millions, has died aged 76.
    “We are deeply saddened that our beloved father passed away today.

“He was a great scientist and an extraordinary man whose work and legacy will live on for many years.

“His courage and persistence with his brilliance and humour inspired people across the world.

“He once said, ‘It would not be much of a universe if it wasn’t home to the people you love.’ We will miss him for ever.”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

Incredible man. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

One of a kind mind. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Presumed he was much younger. Feck.

giphy.webp

• Registered Users Posts: 23,432 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Big loss. RIP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Very sad news, the man was a legend

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

Here is a man who was dealt a horrible hand at life. Despite that, he refused to let it control him and made the absolute most of his life. As someone with a disability, he inspired me. As a nerd, his writings intrigued me.

A brilliant mind who lasted longer than anyone could have imagined. A great loss. Rest well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

RIP.
    Inspirational figure in so many ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Such an incredible figure with a vastly powerful mind. RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

A great mind who'll be remembered for the way he overcame incredible adversity to live his life and exercise his talents to the fullest.RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

Such an incredible man, may he rest in peace.

Always found it so crazy that the guy who had probably the most brilliant brain in the world ended up with the rest of his body being basically useless. It's like God saying, no one can have it all, there's a trade-off for everything. or something. It's just way too much of a coincidence to not be significant IMO.

I probably wouldn't understand most of his work, but enjoyed his Bang Theory cameos and also think we should give serious consideration to his warnings about AI and technology taking over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,008 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Ah poor oul' Stephen. A great man. We'll never know what he would have contributed if he had had his full health.

AH answer:
    A terrible disease what with the slowly wasting away. My friend had told me that he wasn't too bad until he got his first wheelchair. The brakes weren't very good on it.....Doctors said he went downhill very quickly after that

Too soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

What a loss to the scientific community, and the world as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭degsie

Great loss indeed.

Pity he never did stand-up....

Oh, never mind.....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,995 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Sad to hear this, he really managed to reach a huge world wide audience. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,893 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

His defence of universal health care in the UK and the NHS was truly admirable. RIP.
    DD938y_WXg_AAFl_FT.jpg

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

newsflash guys, hes not resting in peace, Steven Hawking no longer exists in this universe as Steven Hawking

its kind of sad in a way, people think of him as the famous computer voice in a wheelchair, but nobody here seems to be aware of what he was talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

It’s truly amazing how long he survived with that nasty disease.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

its kind of sad in a way, people think of him as the famous computer voice in a wheelchair, but nobody here seems to be aware of what he was talking about.

So you're taking the death of the greatest human mind on modern day earth, and one of the greatest in history... and using it to score cheap, narcissistic comments about how people only see him as a man in a wheelchair because they use a generic term to express acknowledgement of a death. Good job....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

R.I.P Stephen.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Impossible is nothing

• Advertisement

His theories on the Universe and black holes in particular will be of huge value in the future.

He also said he did not know if there was a creator. The Universe was so beautiful and exquisite that there might well be something.

He might know the answer now. We'll have to wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I was always interested in his theories and bought his famous book 'A brief history of time'.

It was an acclaimed book but a little too advanced for most people, including me, so he brought out a more layman's version 'A briefer history of time'.

No, still too advanced for my little brain but I got through it anyway even if I didn't understand it.

Mind blowing theories and explanations of physics and the universe in that book.

Great man, big contribution to our planet and may he RIP.

So you're taking the death of the greatest human minds on modern day earth, and one if the greatest in history... and using it to score cheap narcissistic comments about how people only see him as a man in a wheelchair because they use a generic term to express acknowledgement of a death. Good job....
    nope

just making an observation, no ego involved

i wonder if it was an elaborate hoax, his physical condition gave him a lot of fame compared to his peers and many of them could be considered more intelligent, some people have been known to fake a different ethnicity in order to progress in their careers

that was a joke

Rest In Particles

his physical condition gave him a lot of fame compared to his peers and many of them could be considered more intelligent

Name them for us.

Name them for us.
    if i cant name any doesnt that prove my point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Name them for us.

R.I.P. Stephen Hawking

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I'll always remember Homer and S.H having beers.

Give us a few names of the peers you say are more intelligent.

Just one or two will do. Does not have to be a list.

• Advertisement

Your Face wrote: »
    R.I.P. Stephen Hawking

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."
    Alexander Pope said it better

Advertisement