Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

razorblunt wrote: »
    I live in Scotland, the mountain rescue are always out and about, fair enough this particular crowd were particularly inept with the trainers etc. but at least they used that app to draw attention. In the summer they repeatedly have to take people down who are stuck due to darkness falling and not giving themselves enough time. Often those folk are just wearing gym gear too.

I agree, the Scottish mountains are dangerous because the weather conditions can change very quickly so setting out in sunshine can result in whiteout conditions at the summit.

But set out to climb Ben Nevis in the middle of one of the biggest winter storms of the year is, as you say, particularly inept.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

Unpopular opinion? People should just drop them here and no discussion or debate. They're unpopular opinions. Post thanks can say it all. I think thread would read much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Certainly this will be an unpopular opinion. I've had a bag of cans so here goes.............

People nowadays have fcukall resilience, especially younger people. Suicide seems to be the answer to any adversity.

Example...........Caroline Flack.

She allegedly hit a lad with a lamp. Not good but she's hardly a serial killer. She fcuked up, that's all. We all fcuk up. Christ I've done some mad dumb sh1t in my life.

The lamp incident damaged her career and her love life.

So what, just get on with things. Accept your punishment and move on. Her career probably would have recovered. She would have either rekindled her romance or started a new one. It wasn't the end of the world.

Hardly worth killing yourself over.

It's not the young people's fault though. Resilience is being taught/engineered out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I know bugger all about this Caroline Flack. But I rather think her problems ran deeper than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Certainly this will be an unpopular opinion. I've had a bag of cans so here goes.............

People nowadays have fcukall resilience, especially younger people. Suicide seems to be the answer to any adversity.

Example...........Caroline Flack.

She allegedly hit a lad with a lamp. Not good but she's hardly a serial killer. She fcuked up, that's all. We all fcuk up. Christ I've done some mad dumb sh1t in my life.

The lamp incident damaged her career and her love life.

So what, just get on with things. Accept your punishment and move on. Her career probably would have recovered. She would have either rekindled her romance or started a new one. It wasn't the end of the world.

Hardly worth killing yourself over.

It's not the young people's fault though. Resilience is being taught/engineered out of them.

You might want to rethink that bag of cans.

Suicide is not the easy option, it's the ONLY option for some people who feel despair that will never pass.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

Tony EH wrote: »
    I know bugger all about this Caroline Flack. But I rather think her problems ran deeper than that.
    We don't actually know that. Her family have been silent as they are trying to digest and cope with the tragedy while her management people are bitching about the Crown Prosecution Service doing their job and prosecuting her. Nobody should be exempt from the law, not because of celebrity or whatever this mysterious vulnerability she allegedly had. It's all very well saying she wasn't receiving the help she needed but where were her family and friends and management team if they are so adamant about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

pinkyeye wrote: »
    You might want to rethink that bag of cans.

Suicide is not the easy option, it's the ONLY option for some people who feel despair that will never pass.

The idea of this ever becoming a popular opinion is frightening. Suicide shouldn’t be an option at all, and it’s certainly not the only option no matter how much in the depths of despair someone feels they are. I dislike the idea that it would ever actually become an acceptable practice in Irish society. I believe that as a society we have a duty to do better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

I do not care when some celebrity I have never met, known or cared about dies....
    I will not pretend to be upset. or do the sheep mentality and take to social media to express some made up sympathy.

I care deeply about those close to me, my family, friends, my pets etc, and can understand the pain the family of the selfish flack is going through, but still does not mean I care.

Add in the fact she assaulted her partner, were that a man that assaulted a woman and committed suicide, would there be the same faux grief outpouring ?
    Any person that assaults their partner is scum, even if they are now dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭TheDavester

I do not care when some celebrity I have never met, known or cared about dies....
    I will not pretend to be upset. or do the sheep mentality and take to social media to express some made up sympathy.

I care deeply about those close to me, my family, friends, my pets etc, and can understand the pain the family of the selfish flack is going through, but still does not mean I care.

Add in the fact she assaulted her partner, were that a man that assaulted a woman and committed suicide, would there be the same faux grief outpouring ?

this, im hating the wannabe influencers, and dopes who watch reality crap post that same "inspirational" quote she put on her insta (taken from somewhere else) and would these "celebs" theyre fawning over, put an insta/social media post of RIP Mary or Tom Murphy....no they fecking wouldnt....grow up theyre not your real friends/family...just people you see on telly...

And if Chris Brown died, the same ones blaming the media/tweeting poor Flack, more than likely would be dancing in joy/tweeting Good riddance etc(and none of the so brave nonsense)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

this, im hating the wannabe influencers, and dopes who watch reality crap post that same "inspirational" quote she put on her insta (taken from somewhere else) and would these "celebs" theyre fawning over, put an insta/social media post of RIP Mary or Tom Murphy....no they fecking wouldnt....grow up theyre not your real friends/family...just people you see on telly...

And if Chris Brown died, the same ones blaming the media/tweeting poor Flack, more than likely would be dancing in joy/tweeting Good riddance etc(and none of the so brave nonsense)

I wish I could thank this twice. The social media vomit fest has been ridiculous. People trying to outdo each other in their outpouring of grief over someone they didnt know and changing their profile pictures to "Be Kind" etc.

My unpopular opinion is that the whole blame the media" thing is complete bullsh*t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

If it was a family member of yours you would still be powerless, the plan executed by Miss flack would be the exact same as your hypothetical family member, they would create a distraction ie arrange you to pick up medication etc and then take the opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭jakobgallagher

The idea of this ever becoming a popular opinion is frightening. Suicide shouldn’t be an option at all, and it’s certainly not the only option no matter how much in the depths of despair someone feels they are. I dislike the idea that it would ever actually become an acceptable practice in Irish society. I believe that as a society we have a duty to do better.

I agree this is a worrying way to think, suicide is a very permanent solution to what is nearly always a temporary problem. People should be encouraged to always seek out professional help.

That said it can be almost impossible for healthy people to comprehend the pain individuals must be going through in order to end their own lives. David Foster Wallace explains this better than I ever could.

“The so-called ‘psychotically depressed’ person who tries to kill herself doesn’t do so out of quote ‘hopelessness’ or any abstract conviction that life’s assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing. The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire’s flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It’s not desiring the fall; it’s terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling ‘Don’t!’ and ‘Hang on!’, can understand the jump. Not really. You’d have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling.”

Again suicide is such a complex issue and every case is very personal to the individual and unfortunately Wallace did eventually take his own life. I feel it's good that it can be talked about even in the unpopular opinions tread just so we can advise people to seek professional help over and over again. If people are having suicidal thoughts they should contact their GP or if they just want someone to listen they should phone the Samaritans.

• The more Venue based Conventions and Business Seminars are advertised in both Irish print and online media, the more forgettable and uneventful these events actually are. Pertains to 80% of such functions advertised. "Don't Miss Out!!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Vic_08 wrote: »
    A good synpopsis for anyone who doesn't know what the f you two are talking about.

https://junkee.com/dont-****-with-cats-netflix/237080

Leads into my unpopular opinion:

Most of these real life crime series and podcasts are ghoulish exploitative entertainment products made by people who couldn't give a toss about the victims or their relatives and just want their own slice of fame off the backs of other people's misfortunes. They share more in common with horror films or made for tv thrillers than they do with journalistic documentaries and have little or no value beyond being popcorn fodder.

I just watched 'Never f**k with cats' there yesterday. Never heard of the case or anything before, so had no idea what it was about. And I have to agree with you.

I was really fascinated by the 'John Green' character who really seemed to 'get off' on the whole thing. He watched the murder video over and over again, for example. Also, he seemed disappointed in the final scene when the whole thing was over. This was the fella who made a complete balls of pronouncing the 'fusiliers' pub (which was gas). And whose main claim to fame seemed to be being able to remember images from a video /photograph and walking down streets in google maps.
    It was as if he would have to get a hobby now!

The 'Baudi Moovin' character seemed to just use it for escapism initially, after her breakup then got sucked in. Left it, and then came back.
    But then she questioned whether she was complicit in the whole thing. Then had the gall to 'turn to the camera and say are you complicit?' To the netflix viewer. When it was clear that she loved the rush of the whole thing, and the attention it brought her.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I think this "fat shaming" is a load of nonsense.

Unlike diseases, illness etc that people cannot help, the vast majority of obese people are obese through their own fault, gluttony, laziness etc.
    you cannot shame a person into losing cancer, or a limp etc, but you can certainly motivate a person to lose weight.

Lets face it obese people are a crippling burden on the health system, which is a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,805 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I agree, but as you said it's not all. My mother, bless her, has tried every diet known to man. Most don't work. She got some success on the Motivation Medical diet, which is like €1k for 3 months and she cried herself to sleep for the first month. But soon after the weight just started ballooning again, even though she was keeping to her plan. Then of course the depression of another failed diet kicks in and she's back up again due to comfort eating.

Normally I would agree, I let myself go 4st overweight due to gluttony, but I'll never have anyone say my mother is fat because of gluttony. Never seen a woman work so hard, all her life (she was large when a young teen too, which was next to impossible to do due to the lack of food in general, she didn't get to eat meat until she was married!). She's just one of those who can't shift weight permanently. If I could just magic it all away I would. Even to this day, she eats salads and carb free meals, and still can't shift it. Very hard on her, especially now she's in her 70s and should be relaxing.

I agree, but as you said it's not all. My mother, bless her, has tried every diet known to man. Most don't work. She got some success on the Motivation Medical diet, which is like €1k for 3 months and she cried herself to sleep for the first month. But soon after the weight just started ballooning again, even though she was keeping to her plan. Then of course the depression of another failed diet kicks in and she's back up again due to comfort eating.

Normally I would agree, I let myself go 4st overweight due to gluttony, but I'll never have anyone say my mother is fat because of gluttony. Never seen a woman work so hard, all her life (she was large when a young teen too, which was next to impossible to do due to the lack of food in general, she didn't get to eat meat until she was married!). She's just one of those who can't shift weight permanently. If I could just magic it all away I would. Even to this day, she eats salads and carb free meals, and still can't shift it. Very hard on her, especially now she's in her 70s and should be relaxing.

As I said the majority of obese people are gluttonous and lazy.and there are exceptions.

for example some women suffer from polycystic ovarian syndrome which can cause weight gain for life.
    Steroids like Deltacortril, and Prednisolone can also cause huge weight loss as well as internal damage.

But sadly those are the minority , I have seen kids so fat I could not even tell what sex they were.

You do not see kids out playing on the street anymore, all locked indoors consuming junk food.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Unlike diseases, illness etc that people cannot help, the vast majority of obese people are obese through their own fault, gluttony, laziness etc.
    you cannot shame a person into losing cancer, or a limp etc, but you can certainly motivate a person to lose weight.

Lets face it obese people are a crippling burden on the health system, which is a fact.

I think this is what most people think, but there is is a vocal minority that push the agenda, who make the mainstream media fearful to call it for what it is.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

A crisp sandwich is better with posh crisps. While Tayto cheese and onion are fine and all, Tayto Bistro Cheese and Onion make a better sambo.

And any bread is better than sliced pan.

A nice white or brown sourdough, real Irish butter and Bistro c&o ftw!
    Smokey bacon crisps also make a great crisp sandwich!

It's also acceptable to put a little mayonnaise and a slice of ham in - although, then, it's not really a crisp sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

A crisp sandwich is better with posh crisps. While Tayto cheese and onion are fine and all, Tayto Bistro Cheese and Onion make a better sambo.

Doritos and Pringles are a lot nicer than tayto. Also crisp sambos/rolls are grand when your a struggling student but once you can afford a proper sambo you should never have to reduce yourself to a crisp sambo again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,805 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Greyfox wrote: »
    Doritos and Pringles are a lot nicer than tayto. Also crisp sambos/rolls are grand when your a struggling student but once you can afford a proper sambo you should never have to reduce yourself to a crisp sambo again.

Doritos are dry and fook and Pringles can be too heavy with the dustings. Neither would make a good sandwich imo. And you make it sound like a Tayto sandwich is something to be ashamed of, when it should be celebrated.

Edit: Sambo is a racial slur. Always thought it was a blow in word too. It also doesn't make sense. How do you get sambo from sandwich? There's no O! (not directed at you, just in general)

Greyfox wrote: »

Doritos and Pringles aren't crisps. Crisps are fried slices of potato.
    Doritos are various powders formed into shapes and fried - not crisps.

You don't reduce yourself to a crisp sambo, ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Doritos are dry and fook and Pringles can be too heavy with the dustings.
    I find Doritos heatwave and all Pringles have the perfect amount of flavour. A chip sandwich is lovely but other than that I feel all sandwichs should have meat in them.

Teachers should be ready to resume school when this ends, forget summer holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mrsherself

maxsmum wrote: »
    Teachers should be ready to resume school when this ends, forget summer holidays

But we are working at the moment! Why should we do double? I'm working every day! What about everyone else who's off work and working from home? Are you gonna make them work double the amount too?

mrsherself wrote: »
    But we are working at the moment! Why should we do double? I'm working every day! What about everyone else who's off work and working from home? Are you gonna make them work double the amount too?

Ok did not realise some teachers are working from home. I was responding to a video of my cousin teacher on YouTube enjoying her extended summer holidays in the park and looking forward to seeing everyone in September... while my kid is at home driving me nuts... apologies to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

And any bread is better than sliced pan.

A nice white or brown sourdough, real Irish butter and Bistro c&o ftw!
    Smokey bacon crisps also make a great crisp sandwich!

It's also acceptable to put a little mayonnaise and a slice of ham in - although, then, it's not really a crisp sandwich.

I dont like crisp sandwiches

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

dubstarr wrote: »

Surely you lie. :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭firemansam4

But is this true?

The same argument is made about smoking and the cost to our health service for that.

But one thing that always seems to be overlooked all the time, is that people who are overweight and people who smoke are far more likely to die younger, thus saving the exchequer on retirement expenses and further medical expenses when they become older.

This never seems to be considered when this argument is made.

• Advertisement

dubstarr wrote: »

Are you my wife?
    I thought she was the only one.

Advertisement