Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ever ask for something incredibly old fashioned and obsolete in a shop?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Mines kind of on the other side of this ...

In the shop I work we sell a very good mussle rub for cows with mastitis..... thing is it's udderly brilliant and a lot of doctors buy it off us by case and also physios ....

We get a lot of embarrassed people coming in looking for this supposedly cow cream that will heal there aching joints...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

gmisk wrote: »
    A coal scuttle...literally looked at me like I had two heads. I was in a big hardware store btw not topman.

Oh and Milton the disinfectant...no clue
    Dunnes stores stock Milton, it's with the baby stuff usually on the bottom shelf.

I asked for a Roll On for my mother in law (she'd asked me to get her one) in a lingerie shop a few years ago. Nope.
    They don't call them that anymore since Spanx became popular. I got a similar equivalent in Debenhams a few months back to go under a unforgiving dress, it cost me almost 50 euro for what is basically big knickers that go up to your ribs and have wire inserts. I remember my granny washing her old roll ons when she'd visit us for a week when we were little.

Hah,.when I first went to the UK in the very early 90's I went in to a corner shop for cigs and a packet of crsips. Went up to the nice Indian lady behind the counter and asked for 20 b&h and a packet of cheese and onion tayto (pointing to the walkers crisps) . Took me a while to figure out her confusion had nothing to do with a language barrier, and that crisps were not commonly called tayto in the UK.
    I used to confuse my English in laws at first by calling things by different names, in the end it was easier to switch to what they called them. When I said hot press they'd no idea what I was talking about, they thought it was something to do with ironing, likewise when I said something is in the press or on the shelf. So airing cupboard and worktop became the new norm.

Anytime I'm in a shop or pub, at some point I ask if they carry nasal snuff. Most of the time I get a blank or confused looked and then a no.Seems only Cahill's in Limerick carries it, but I hate going into the city, it's too loco.
    Isn't there a shop up one of the side streets opposite William St that sells pipes and stuff like that, they probably have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Had to get a float for my daughter for swimming.asked in several sports shops.staff looking at me like I had 3 heads.not a hope of finding one.may aswell have been trying to buy a dinosaur egg.
    Got one in the finish in a different swimming pool.
    When we were young we had polystyrene boards for floats.they were everywhere.
    All the stuff I do be looking for these days can’t be got.im often better off google imaging it and buying it online when I see the picture of what I want

looksee wrote: »
    I've been looking for Gram flour for ages, its not particularly 'old fashioned', I could buy it in Tesco till about a year or so ago. Been in all the local Asian shops - blank looks. Chickpea flour? 'Oh yes, no we don't have any. I could have some for you by next week', but it never seems to come in.

I could give in and buy it online I suppose.
    You can probably get it on Amazon. I used to make Pumpkin pies and the only place that I could get the tins of American Libby's pumpkin was from Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Person looking for a roll on for their grandmother, might have some luck if you call it a girdle. Seems to be what theyre marketed as online.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I have an old JVC adagio and its still working.

Every now and again I play tapes from old radio shows from the 90s especially a Cork pirate radio station called "Radio Friendly" 104.6 fm in stereo

Now and again the glass fuses go, so there around a few months ago I was craving nostalgic memories.

So I turned on the stereo and not working, opened the back, glass fuses blown.

Down to the local shop reminiscent of the shop in the unbelievables.

Anyhow out the back he went, found a little paper box, faded writing on it, bingo he had the exact fuses I needed.

The box was more of an antique than the fuses.
    Little faded box from the 70s or 80s id say.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

My dad sent me to the shop for the yorkshire evening post early one morning many years ago...does that count ?

• Advertisement

nthclare wrote: »
    I have an old JVC adagio and its still working.

Every now and again I play tapes from old radio shows from the 90s especially a Cork pirate radio station called "Radio Friendly" 104.6 fm in stereo

Now and again the glass fuses go, so there around a few months ago I was craving nostalgic memories.

So I turned on the stereo and not working, opened the back, glass fuses blown.

Down to the local shop reminiscent of the shop in the unbelievables.

Anyhow out the back he went, found a little paper box, faded writing on it, bingo he had the exact fuses I needed.

The box was more of an antique than the fuses.
    Little faded box from the 70s or 80s id say.

Was it mick?? He won’t get the tide table book in for me.he says the fcukers get it online now and he’s stuck with the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

Ah feck ya, you're after reminding me of biscuits I used to get at my Nan's back in the day. Can't remember the name of them, and Google is not helping.

They came in a red packet (iirc), they were about twice to three times the size (width and depth) as your normal biscuits, like they were puffed up or something.

Thick Arrowroot biscuits? They're like overweight rich teas

Ask in one of the newer "cool" bricks and mortar music stores about vinyl or cassette tape and get a blank star or furrowed brow expression.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

xieann wrote: »
    Ask in one of the newer "cool" bricks and mortar music stores about vinyl or cassette tape and get a blank star or furrowed brow expression.

Really??

Everywhere seems to do vinyl now.Golden Discs have a big section
    Lidl/Aldi sell turntables at least once a year.Its had a big resurgence

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Tomato juice seems to be a thing of the past in the pubs in our town, Hmmmm with a nice drop of Vodka.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

decky1 wrote: »
    Tomato juice seems to be a thing of the past in the pubs in our town, Hmmmm with a nice drop of Vodka.

That'll be why.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Kat1170 wrote: »
    As in a "Spud Gun" that used to fire the little piece of potato ?? That's a blast from the past if it's what you mean.
    Did you manage to get one anywhere ??

I seen those for sale very recently, think it might have been in that Gadget store in Dundrum shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I asked for a siege engine, once.

Was it mick?? He won’t get the tide table book in for me.he says the fcukers get it online now and he’s stuck with the books.

I know Mick in fanore alright, but its that small shop in Corofin on the right hand side in the Kilfenora direction.

He's really old school, a real gent.

I go in sometimes to buy the odd light bulb and maybe a few snacks etc

But when you go up to the counter he'll look at what you have give you the price, say 3 euros 20

He'll say 3:20 will cover you...

Feels like a bargain every time I leave..

nthclare wrote: »
    I know Mick in fanore alright, but its that small shop in Corofin on the right hand side in the Kilfenora direction.

He's really old school, a real gent.

I go in sometimes to buy the odd light bulb and maybe a few snacks etc

But when you go up to the counter he'll look at what you have give you the price, say 3 euros 20

He'll say 3:20 will cover you...

Feels like a bargain every time I leave..

Mick is as sound as you’ll get.im in east Galway and I do often ring him to see what way his place is fishing and see is it worth going.hes a gentleman.he runs a good little shop too.
    There’s some great rock marks near him there for a days fishing.
    I love the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,144 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

xieann wrote: »

This is someone who hasn’t been in a music shop in a fair few years. There’s more vinyl than CDs on sale now

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭chin nuts

I seen those for sale very recently, think it might have been in that Gadget store in Dundrum shopping centre.

I bought 3 of them spud guns for a pound each on sports direct recently for the kids. Thought thed love them like I did as a kid. They didn't. ðŸ˜

Asked for a pair of chords in a shop the other day for work. Got a big smile from the dude working there. Eh no he says as he tried to walk away in his skinny jeans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject71

Dodge wrote: »
    This is someone who hasn’t been in a music shop in a fair few years. There’s more vinyl than CDs on sale now

There is a great record shop in town here I go to about 3 times a week,called Steamboat.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

chin nuts wrote: »
    Asked for a pair of chords in a shop the other day for work. Got a big smile from the dude working there. Eh no he says as he tried to walk away in his skinny jeans
    Was it a music shop? You should have asked for three, not two. :)

Not your ornery onager

Dodge wrote: »

The music shops are gone scarce.there used to be maybe 8 one time in Galway.theres one now if you could even call it that.
    One of the best places now to get a cd or dvd is the charity shops.

Last year I asked for Iodine in a pharmacy - just a dropper bottle full. It's not sold anymore in any quantities, but was easy to buy online.

Mick is as sound as you’ll get.im in east Galway and I do often ring him to see what way his place is fishing and see is it worth going.hes a gentleman.he runs a good little shop too.
    There’s some great rock marks near him there for a days fishing.
    I love the place.

Mick is a gentleman alright, he's well up on the local history and John Donohoe etc

His prices match the mail order stuff from the UK.

Always has a new toy in stock.

Best thing I bought off him was the rapalas max rap, caught huge pollock and the odd bass on them.

Or the savage gear standeels

Staying on topic you can't beat the German sprat, pure old school and goes out far...

Isn't there a shop up one of the side streets opposite William St that sells pipes and stuff like that, they probably have it.

Yeah that is Cahill's on Wickham street. Only place I know who stocks it. Absolutely love that shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Yeah that is Cahill's on Wickham street. Only place I know who stocks it. Absolutely love that shop.
    I'd be surprised if Petersen's at the bottom of Grafton Street (opposite Trinity College) don't stock it.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Esel wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if Petersen's at the bottom of Grafton Street (opposite Trinity College) don't stock it.

They do but only way for me to get it is online as they are in Dublin,I'm in Limerick.I've ordered from them before but they are a euro dearer than Cahill's.

Advertisement