Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things that trigger the right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

people in this thread so far on the left they seem to be living in the US...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,233 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Birneybau wrote: »
    Wow, good steal from Twitter

Huh?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Black/Asian people in historical shows/movies.

"Why is this thrown in our faces"
    Meh I don't mind it. I mean you have to suspend disbelief going into any drama, but when it's too obvious a "progressive" casting decision with a side order of lecturing it can be irritating. Though this kinda thing has been happening in different forms throughout the history of 20th century drama. If the preamble to the flic comes out with "based on a true story/history" then my nitpicking can come out. This also goes for when Hollywood whitewashes a part. Which used to be far worse to be fair. John Wayne playing Genghis Khan one of the lowlights.

Where I would go "ah here FFS" is when documentaries claiming to be factual do that kinda thing in reenactments.
    people in this thread so far on the left they seem to be living in the US...
    Eh... the American Left outside of a minority in US universities would be very much centre, if not centre right here.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Bohs jersey launches.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

The mere suggestion of a homophobic slur being bleeped out of a song had a lot of people jumping up and down in rage, heard a song that had the word wanker bleeped out a while ago and no one gave a sh1te about that, oddly enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

This thread, soon enough. They're already getting uppity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Ipso wrote: »
    Eh... the American Left outside of a minority in US universities would be very much centre, if not centre right here.

on a map, i mean. why are we fighting american culture wars on Boards.ie,

fúck Trump, Bernie 2020,

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

on a map, i mean. why are we fighting american culture wars on Boards.ie,
    True that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Black/Asian people in historical shows/movies.

"Why is this thrown in our faces"

They did that to great effect with Armando Iannucci's recent adaptation of David Copperfield - genuinely colour-blind casting, to the extent of having characters who were related to each other played by actors of totally different racial backgrounds. Even Mr Micawber's wife was Bernie from the Commitments.

Of course, when Charles Dickens wrote the original movie, back in Dickensian times, other races hadn't yet been invented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

The idea that never having found yourself unemployed is down to anything other than good fortune.

Yeah, it's fortunate that I've a good work ethic.

They did that to great effect with Armando Iannucci's recent adaptation of David Copperfield - genuinely colour-blind casting, to the extent of having characters who were related to each other played by actors of totally different racial backgrounds.
    A good example of stunt casting and a reflection of the times, like whitewashing was before it. Drama always reflects the times to some degree. Hell, in the 60's you had war, westerns and science fiction dramas that featured hippies. So today it's let's make James Bond a mixed race Black Asian Lesbian woman in a wheelchair. With Aspergers. As sure as the world turns it'll change again. Mostly when something stops making money. It's always about the money.

I do wonder though would you be so cool, holier than thou and "colour blind" about such things if someone adapted the story of say Shaka Zulu using a mostly European and Asian cast, or casting Brad Pitt as Genghis Khan, or Adam Driver as Othello? BTW I'd also consider all of the above daft and stunt casting. Seeing Olivier in blackface doing Othello is cringe inducing.

Yeah, it's fortunate that I've a good work ethic.
    Arguably it is indeed fortunate TB. Like any personality trait a work ethic is deeply rooted in biology, psychology, background and culture and different people have different traits and different focuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Evidence lead decision making.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,047 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Greta Thunberg.

I consider myself centre-right (ish), and I applaud this girl's work to highlight climate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,047 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Property taxes.

Most sensible people agree with property taxes, as they are the best type of tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Hoop66

The consequences of their actions

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Challenging the US (and Britain's) self-proclaim right to bomb dark skinned people.

As David Lloyd George said: We insisted on reserving the right to bomb ****.

Any mention of the term war crimes usually sends the right off into having a collective shyte hemorrhage.

Geuze wrote: »
    Most sensible people agree with property taxes, as they are the best type of tax.
    I'm generally highly suspicious of what "sensible people" agree with, as what is considered "sensible" can be as variable as the wind.

I also don't see how property taxes are the best kind of tax. They're more out of the control of the individual. If someone wants to pay less income tax they can choose to earn less income. If someone wants to pay less VAT they can choose to buy fewer things that attract VAT. If someone wants to pay less road tax they can choose to buy a car that attracts less road tax. And so forth. Housing and I'm speaking of primary homes, not extra properties(I'd tax them alright), is different in a few ways. It's far more permanent, often for a lifetime. Property tax based on value has issues. Someone buys a house in an area that was cheap that then becomes gentrified twenty years on and values soar. Or property becomes an investment bubble. That is out of the control of the homeowner. Oh sure they could "downsize" but it's not like swapping out a 3 litre Merc for a Prius. Never mind that large chunk of tax they've already paid on their decades long mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Antifa beating the living daylights out of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Oohh looks like this thread might be one too ha

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Challenging the US (and Britain's) self-proclaim right to bomb dark skinned people.

As David Lloyd George said: We insisted on reserving the right to bomb ****.

Any mention of the term war crimes usually sends the right off into having a collective shyte hemorrhage.

So I’ll meet ’im later on
    At the place where ’e is gone—
    Where it’s always double drill and no canteen.
    ’E’ll be squattin’ on the coals
    Givin’ drink to poor damned souls,
    An’ I’ll get a swig in hell from Gunga Din!
    Yes, Din! Din! Din!
    You Lazarushian-leather Gunga Din!
    Though I’ve belted you and flayed you,
    By the livin’ Gawd that made you,
    You’re a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

Gang rapes going without action because PC folks are more worried about their reputation rather than children's suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Collective bargaining

Pure Bolshevism

Mayonnaise with cheese on toast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Collective bargaining

Pure Bolshevism
    Let me be blunt: is there a labour crisis in America today?

When the price of soap goes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

biko wrote: »
    Gang rapes going without action because PC folks are more worried about their reputation rather than children's suffering.

Personal computer folks?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

George Soros.

(Is he even a real person? Or just a political "Big Foot"?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Pride events.

Hate speech legislation

Advertisement