Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ever ask for something incredibly old fashioned and obsolete in a shop?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    Draught excluder. You used to see them all over the place in the 80s and 90s, different designs like ones that’s looked like dogs or whatever.

Recently went to a number of shops and could not find one for love or money.

Lidl and Aldi sometimes have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Mr O'Bumble has occasionally sent someone to a hardware shop for a long stand.

It seems to take some people a long while to cop ....

Dad used to send in an apprentice to ask for mickey wire and a mickey puller, but only when there was a woman serving. Both were actual items used on site, but of course not branded as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I needed matches for some
    bizzare reason a lighter wouldn’t do - and I eventually had to but a multipack of long handle ines! You used get them in every corner shop that sold fGs - its ll lighters now :’(

Plus - those Lidl/Aldi ones are so dangerous - the sulphor head tends to bounce off them when being struck and fly off lit across the room :o they stick on your skin and burn through if they bounce the wrong way into you :(

I spent many long hours walking every corner shop and toy shop for a potato gun recently. I’d have got less quare looks asking for a hand grenade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

I asked for a Roll On for my mother in law (she'd asked me to get her one) in a lingerie shop a few years ago. Nope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭lucalux

I needed matches for some
    bizzare reason a lighter wouldn’t do - and I eventually had to but a multipack of long handle ines! You used get them in every corner shop that sold fGs - its ll lighters now :’(

Plus - those Lidl/Aldi ones are so dangerous - the sulphor head tends to bounce off them when being struck and fly off lit across the room :o they stick on your skin and burn through if they bounce the wrong way into you :(

I spent many long hours walking every corner shop and toy shop for a potato gun recently. I’d have got less quare looks asking for a hand grenade.

Agreed on the Lidl Aldi matches, very wary of them every time I have to resort to using matches!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

gmisk wrote: »
    A coal scuttle...literally looked at me like I had two heads. I was in a big hardware store btw not topman.

Oh and Milton the disinfectant...no clue

Try the baby section in a supermarket for the Milton. Great for water bottles etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I know someone who sent his missus in looking for dowels. When she went in she asked them for gowels. Yer man in the shop said no they don't have a great shelf life

• Registered Users Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I was in a pub down the country some years and an old lad came in and produced a large sewing needle about four inches long from his top pocket.

He said it was a packing needle used to sew canvas bags with twine. The last one in the local hardware he proudly announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Kat1170

As in a "Spud Gun" that used to fire the little piece of potato ?? That's a blast from the past if it's what you mean.
    Did you manage to get one anywhere ??

• Advertisement

Kat1170 wrote: »
    As in a "Spud Gun" that used to fire the little piece of potato ?? That's a blast from the past if it's what you mean.
    Did you manage to get one anywhere ??

Been looking since November - had a few near misses (just sold the last wan, been hanging in the corner for years etc) - walked into a fancy new toyshop yesterday that were doing a stocktake and they had one in the back of a drawer that some kid had ripped the box off - got if for a song! Little Lord will be delighted!! And yes - we grew up on them - loved them! Used have great spud wars with the hoards of kids on the street until some narky frugal neighbour kicked up an outcry over the waste of food... there are children dying in Africa...

I went looking for double sided sticky velcro tabs for some essential life need a while back; Everywhere in the 90’s - might as well have been looking for a fresh dinosaur steak. :( Very handy yokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

I went looking for double sided sticky velcro tabs for some essential life need a while back; Everywhere in the 90’s - might as well have been looking for a fresh dinosaur steak. :( Very handy yokes.

Hickeys in Galway wellpark centre have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,853 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I had the opposite. Went into the local post office / shop where my dad is from and asked for shower gel. The owner had no idea what I was talking about, when we explained what it was she said that sounds like a good product and will get some in. Haven't been back so don't know if she ever did.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Sharknose

My local hardware has these sack needles. Straight or with a bend. He also has anchors for small boats.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A loose half-ton of slack.

A french letter.

A tank of car gas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Long_Wave

My aunt told me that one time you could buy codeine in any corner shop or supermarket like panadol is sold today.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Long_Wave wrote: »
    My aunt told me that one time you could buy codeine in any corner shop or supermarket like panadol is sold today.

She's not your Aunt, she's your daughter. Codeine is bad f****n news man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

2 euro shops have them. I found some in my "random assortment" drawer the other night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Where can I find bulbs for flashlights? Searched pound shops, bike shops no luck :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I've been looking for Gram flour for ages, its not particularly 'old fashioned', I could buy it in Tesco till about a year or so ago. Been in all the local Asian shops - blank looks. Chickpea flour? 'Oh yes, no we don't have any. I could have some for you by next week', but it never seems to come in.

I could give in and buy it online I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

A spare tyre for a new car I purchased (used car), and "throw a decent tyre in the boot, yeah"?

Space savers be damned.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

You should be able to get them in Dunnes or Tescos. They're on their own sales stands by the company with yellow and blue/black packaging. With all the other little "things" - nail clippers, hem tape etc.

Korbond is the name of the company I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Not quite obsolete but large old fashioned ladies drawers (underwear) for the grandmother. I think the OH eventually found them somewhere ....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

gozunda wrote: »
    Not quite obsolete but large old fashioned ladies drawers (underwear) for the grandmother. I think the OH eventually found them somewhere ....

Pennys,Dunnes and Marks all do gigantic knickers. Not in anyway stylish but fierce comfy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,786 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Had terrible trouble looking for a soap dish for bathroom for bar of soap.

Got the last one in a not busy chemist shop.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,712 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

For granny? Yeah right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

A hot water bottle when I was a student in Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

OK, bloomers.

Advertisement