Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever ask for something incredibly old fashioned and obsolete in a shop?

• 11-02-2020 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Years ago my granddad told me you could buy the little rubber tube that sits over a bicycle tyre valve separately, rather than buying a whole new valve. Of course I was told they didn't have them since back in the day (i suspect you can probably buy them again now with all the Greta stuff happening now)

Another time I tried to buy a blade for a really long bushman saw and I was told to "go for an easier life" :D

If only I could record it covertly I'd go into the local co op and ask some young lad/wan who is just after starting for a well chain

"Ya know the chain for lifting the wooden bucket out of the well?"

"You don't? ahh you must be using a rope at your gaff so. An auld hemp rope will do if you have one"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

A sheath

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

You can still get those valve rubbers in puncture repair kits

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭ab4248

Class reunion a couple of years back. Few of us went to pub after and said we’d chip in for 10 Carrolls like the old days. The barman had a right laugh at us. Took us a while to figure it out

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I asked for mouse flavoured cat food in Tesco once, many years ago, the girl went looking for it too.

Alas, she couldn't find any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭ Koda White Thunder

Draught excluder. You used to see them all over the place in the 80s and 90s, different designs like ones that’s looked like dogs or whatever.

Recently went to a number of shops and could not find one for love or money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

A sheath

Is that like a Geronimo?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Good service...

A relic of the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

A number plate light assembly for a Fiat Panda.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,435 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

No, but I once had to wait, far longer than I’d have liked, behind a woman who was asking for a “Raider” bar.

The tide is turning…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

When I was a teenager and e-commerce wasn't yet a taken for granted thing, a compilation of prehistoric songs for my dad who was born in 1946, which I know is old, but it's also the same age as (and younger than) the most pioneering musicians and artists of the 60s/70s, and his tastes are actually like those of someone 20 years older. The poor young lad in Golden Discs was stumped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Recently ....a Scart lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Borax, and suet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    Draught excluder. You used to see them all over the place in the 80s and 90s, different designs like ones that’s looked like dogs or whatever.

was looking for a scissors yesterday - might as well have been looking for a unicorn. But saw draft excluders in Home Store, Woodies and Harvey Norman - of all places. Harvey Normans had saussage dogs on them - was tempted!!!

spent a considerable amount of time looking fir a spool of navy thread to sew on work shirt buttons last summer - apparently buttonless shirts are now disposable items - thread as rare as winning lotto numbers - lots of rumours and I heard of a man who knew someone who saw it in x place . but no substance

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I asked one of the staff in Lifestyle for a pair of indoor non marking runners for sports once.
    He'd no idea and suggested I try a sports store...

Style, streetware /athleisurewear has taken over it seems and real sports gear shops are gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭ Koda White Thunder

was looking for a scissors yesterday - might as well have been looking for a unicorn. But saw draft excluders in Home Store, Woodies and Harvey Norman - of all places. Harvey Normans had saussage dogs on them - was tempted!!!

Be down to Harvey Norman tomorrow! You are a golden god, may you live to be a thousand years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Recently ....a Scart lead.

I threw one away yesterday - its somewhere in an almost full skip...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Ladybird18

Tights in a local shop. You would swear I had asked for heroin.

I actually saw some in the front window of Guineys on Talbot street around Christmas time.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,749 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

A coal scuttle...literally looked at me like I had two heads. I was in a big hardware store btw not topman.

Oh and Milton the disinfectant...no clue

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I asked one of the staff in Lifestyle for a pair of indoor non marking runners for sports once.
    He'd no idea and suggested I try a sports store...

Style, streetware /athleisurewear has taken over it seems and real sports gear shops are gone.

Yep, try getting a pair of size 13 runners in any of them, not a hope in hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

A bottle of 'Clinic' Shampoo. blank expression.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Your Face wrote: »
    A number plate light assembly for a Fiat Panda.
    Sounds like a fair swap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭ Ryan Strong Sundae

Ladybird18 wrote: »
    Tights in a local shop. You would swear I had asked for heroin.

It was a men’s clothes shop wasn’t it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

spent a considerable amount of time looking fir a spool of navy thread to sew on work shirt buttons last summer - apparently buttonless shirts are now disposable items - thread as rare as winning lotto numbers - lots of rumours and I heard of a man who knew someone who saw it in x place . but no substance

There was a haberdashery out in donabate would sort you out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

They have them in Aldi at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lucalux

gmisk wrote: »
    A coal scuttle...literally looked at me like I had two heads. I was in a big hardware store btw not topman.

Oh and Milton the disinfectant...no clue

Coal scuttles, I can only imagine they live in houses where the heating is a switch on the wall:)

As to Milton, I buy the Lidl or Aldi own brand one, the Aldi one is in a blue bottle (Mamia is the name), regular stock items!

It was a men’s clothes shop wasn’t it?

No! And I know they aren't sexy but I needed them for an interview asap due to a ladder :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Ladybird18 wrote: »
    No! And I know they aren't sexy but I needed them for an interview asap due to a ladder :(

For a ladder ? Was it an interview for the Fire Brigade?

For a ladder ? Was it an interview for the Fire Brigade?

No but I do recall they said I was hot.

Getting coat :p

• Advertisement

I asked in a pharmacy for Vicks Throat Drops, and then mused "They probably don't make those anymore, do they?" to be told "Not in about 20 years, no."

Advertisement