Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭GRACKEA

Also I don’t think that opinion is all that unpopular, it’s fairly popular online.

Good to know! Hopefully the sentiment spreads

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Is there not already at least one of these threads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I know and I wasn’t replying to you. You mentioned signs but Srameen mentioned official documents.

Also I don’t think that opinion is all that unpopular, it’s fairly popular online.

And all I was doing was correcting the statement that it only refers to road signage. Plus keeping in line with the whole premise of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

That metoo is largely a cod, an excuse for witch-hunting and settling old scores and has essentially damaged interactions between the sexes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Hurling isn't that great a game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I think Quorn or Linda McCartney should make a vegan substitute for long pig.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭touts

what unpopular opinions do you hold on boards and in real life?

I believe full state benefits should only be paid to those who have worked a minimum of 5 years in the state.

Even with that all state benefits (unemployment, pension, child benefit) should be paid in vouchers that can only be redeemed against certain items (not bouncy castles, booze, fags, fake tan etc)

People in receipt of free housing should live where the state gives them the free house and not have a choice in that. Any damage they do to the house is taken from their welfare. Once they get a job they start to pay rent to the state at the average rent in the locality.

Voting should be limited to active citizens who have either paid tax or taken part in voluntary work for at least 5 years.

People should pay for water and sewage.

Property tax should be based on the services in your locality and not the value of your home.

There is nothing wrong with a two tier health service. Anyone who pays the tax that funds the health service should have priority access on waiting lists or for private rooms etc.

There should be a three strike and you are out rule in the criminal justice sector. On your third or subsequent conviction you lose all rights to bail, reduced sentences, early release etc. You serve the maximum sentence set down in law and not a day less.

Life means life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭PinotNero

Most Irish craft beers are over-hopped rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

My opinion is that you & other hand wringers should be forced to live next to them.

I live in a nice quiet estate in a small town in the West of Ireland. We have a mobile home in a caravan park by the coast. A few summers ago, while we were in the mobile, my wife got texts from two different neighbours "warning" us that travellers had moved into a house just across from us. I think they expected us to pack up and come back home to defend it from the impending invasion.

I urged my wife to respond pointing out the irony and absurdity of expecting us to be concerned about a family of travellers renting a 4 bedroom detached house while we were shacked up in what amounts to a halting site for recreation. She decided not to.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll be very disappointed to find out the family of travellers were perfectly fine. They lived there for 2 years, and kept to themselves. The dad walked the baby in the pram in the evenings, the kids played out on the green, the mum went about her business. No horses, no caravans, no noise, no crime, no slash hook fights. A family going about their business like any other.

The same caravan park has a family of travellers that come for a week every year. They pay the nightly fee like any other camper. The first year we where there, some of the other people who own permanent mobiles there came to warn us that the travellers had arrived. Again, the irony of being scared of a people who live in caravans while they themselves summered in them seemed lost on them. The traveller kids played with our kids for the week. Yeah, they were a little bit different. A bit rough around the edges, not so good with boundaries - then again I've come across plenty of settled kids like that too. They were good kids. The parents again kept to themselves. No problems at all. I remember one of the little boys (about 5) asking my kids if they were travellers too - because we "lived" in a mobile.

So there you go. My experience of living beside travellers. Nothing bad to report.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I believe that there should be a limit on the number of threads somebody can create when they don't then generally participate in said threads.
    Any anything with more than 5 likes in this thread should be deleted because it's not actually unpopular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Cyclepath

A man should not be forced to take on financial or other responsibility for supporting a baby he doesn't want, for example an unplanned pregnancy, one night stand with no protection etc.

To clarify, I am pro-choice, but a prospective mother has the right to abort a foetus without recourse to the potential father, so I think it's only fair that the man should have a choice too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Cienciano wrote: »
    Any anything with more than 5 likes in this thread should be deleted because it's not actually unpopular.
    Yeah my opinion (popular or not, I don't know) is that this thread will be full of opinions that are to the right politically but are not actually unpopular. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

That 90% of our live is determined by where we are born (geography), what family we are born into, and or genetic makeup.

I don't think many criminals had much choice in their actions, but I'd still want them locked up.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I believe I can touch the sky.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Yeah my opinion (popular or not, I don't know) is that this thread will be full of opinions that are to the right politically but are not actually unpopular. :pac:
    It'll start off ok, but it'll turn to advocating for genocide in a few pages. The mods hate these threads

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It's mad that we've become a pretty liberal, pc society and have looked after minorities but for some reason, blatant racism against travellers is completely socially acceptable amongst all levels of society.

Now, we can all find examples of traveller's behaving badly (I've been the victim of crime at the hands of three men who were travellers) but to prejudge someone purely on the ground of being a traveller is just blatant discrimination and racism.
    There really is no getting away from that fact.
    There are a lot of racists on here.

No it isn't.. and I know that that is an unpopular idea but tough! Agree with your next para.

Anyway, my unpopular opinion: Metered water charges are a good idea, and the Government shouldn't have caved to the ignorant populist protesters. Anyone parking their cars over the public footpath to stop the meters from being installed out side their homes should have had them confiscated and crushed, then sent the bill for the towing and crushing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Once you get your “bus pass”, at 65, you should lose the ability to vote in referendums.

You’d keep the right to vote in local, and national, elections.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

My unpopular opinion is that once you reach the age of 65 you should resit your driving test every 5 years, there are too many elderly people out there causing mayhem on the roads.
    If you are a bad driver you are off the road, if you are a good driver there should be no issue with passing the test again.

Everyone, no matter what age should have to resit the driving test every 5 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

Cienciano wrote: »
    Everyone, no matter what age should have to resit the driving test every 5 years.

Well, it looks like you have an even more unpopular opinion that I do.

Maybe 10 years up to the age of 50 and every 5 years after that.
    I also think if you have issues with your eyes you should have to resit it every 5 years no matter what age you are.

Also insurance for elderly people should be bumped up in order to force them to use public transport they get for free.

Also insurance for elderly people should be bumped up in order to force them to use public transport they get for free.

The words "free public transport" should be outlawed in discourse and debate where it's referred to as a universal benefit, until it's available to the whole country, and not just Dublin and certain limited sections of the other cities and major towns. None of the elderly people I know in my locality have ever even applied for a bus pass, because there's literally no opportunity for them to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

My unpopular opinion, at least amongst y’all hipsters, is that drugs shouldn’t be legalised and only partly decriminalised.

phutyle wrote: »
    The words "free public transport" should be outlawed in discourse and debate until they're available to the whole country, and not just Dublin and certain limited sections of the other cities and major towns.

Isn’t bus eireann free for pensioners? And trains are also free.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Screw Attack

1. Superhero movies are childish and stupid.
    2. MMA is a garbage sport, disgusting.
    3. All mainstream pop music since 1970 is garbage.
    4. Christopher Nolan makes empty popcorn movies.
    5. Sports fanatics are sad.
    6. Most Irish history is not something to be proud of. ie. Easter Rising
    7. Irish music, arts and culture is overrated.
    8. Hate those who promote drinking and drug culture to children.
    9. If it is really true that 'people kill people, not guns', then there is no argument for asking N Korea or other rogue states not to acquire as many nukes as they want.
    10. Heavens Gate is an excellent film.
    11. Dances With Wolves OVER Goodfellas.
    12 Punk music was a good movement, but like No Wave, it's mostly music with very little substance.
    13. Rave was the worst music movement ever.
    14. 2Pac couldn't hold a candle next to Kendrick Lamar, Tyler the Creator or even Kanye West.
    15. ' Fly' remains Breaking Bad's greatest episode.
    16. Dickheads who disrupt an argument by using the moronic cliche "Everyone has a right to an opinion". A semantic stop sign to stifle any further discussion on a topic.

9. If it is really true that 'people kill people, not guns', then there is no argument for asking N Korea or other rogue states not to acquire as many nukes as they want.
    12 Punk music was a good movement, but like No Wave, it's mostly music with very little substance.
    14. 2Pac couldn't hold a candle next to Kendrick Lamar, Tyler the Creator or even Kanye West.
    16. Dickheads who disrupt an argument by using the moronic cliche "Everyone has a right to an opinion". A semantic stop sign to stifle any further discussion on a topic.

I supppose you have a right to your opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Very difficult to find a bar that doesn't have live music in Dublin that plays any music from 90s+ onwards.

Not sure anyone even likes some guy playing acoustic guitar too loud.

Isn’t bus eireann free for pensioners? And trains?

Yep, it is.

Now think about how limited the coverage of both services are on a national basis, particularly outside of the main towns. Count the train lines in Donegal for a start.

Even taking people living out in the sticks out of the equation. Take something simple like an elderly person getting from Barefield in Clare to the Regional hospital in Limerick for an appointment by public transport. See if it can be done, just using public transport and no excessive walking (lets assume a moderately healthy elderly person, the kind that would be using public transport in Dublin, and put the limit at 2 km of walkig). Hell, lets make it even easier and say the hospital in Ennis (a 5km journey in total).

In fact, try to get an elderly person from any housing estate in Ennis to Ennis hospital, purely by public transport. Doesn't matter how may different routes they need to take, or how long it takes, just see if you can get them there.

Use the Transit option in Google maps for convenience.

Then multiply that by every town and village in the country.

Public transport in Dublin is top class. I was born there, grew up there and lived there for 30 years. Never once thought about owning a car.

Public transport outside Dublin is just about usable if you're commuting between main towns that happen to be in a route, and you have someone to drive you to or pick you up from the stop or station, or you happen to live close by. 2 weeks into moving to the west (15 years ago), I realised a car was a necessity, not a nice to have. I was applying for jobs. And began to realise that I couldn't get to any of them by 9am using public transport. it was physically impossible, no matter how early I got the bus in the general direction of the job (assuming there was a bus going in that general direction). Nothing has changed in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Screw Attack

I supppose you have a right to your opinion.

Yes, but you can criticise it. If you have the right and justification on your side you can tell me why I'm wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

That 90% of our live is determined by where we are born (geography), what family we are born into, and or genetic makeup.

I don't think many criminals had much choice in their actions, but I'd still want them locked up.
    What's unpopular about those?
    8 is definitely not unpopular! 10. Is it considered a terrible film?

Advertisement