Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Done deal.ie

• 01-11-2010 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,595 ✭✭✭✭

Now i am aware that this will prompt people into posting about the pitfalls of the site.
    I use it to sell the jack russells i breed from time to time and i believe that most people who came to me were genuine people.I have refused a sale 3 times due to the person being not suitable for whatever reason.
    The terrier i breed is a non reg type and this site is a usefull medium to sell/purchase given the correct conditions of seller's,in my opnion.
    my question is..........people here have flamed the site----is this from personal experience or has anyone had a good experience buying from there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭yolanda

Quite right and I, myself will probably get flamed for the following post for not being responsible, supporting puppy farms, not going the rescue dog route etc etc etc...

I got my guy from done deal. I visited 3 different breeders before I found one I was happy with. I did not find any disgusting or cruel breeders but just ones I wasnt 100% happy with.
    The website gave me a massive selection from different localities that suited where I am based. Yes there are dodgy breeders on the site but this is a fact of life. There will always be a few bad apples among the bunch.
    I did research other websites, papers, local notices etc and it just happened that I found my guy on this website.
    Done deal does get a huge amount of potential buyers and if you are a reputable breeder you will have no problems.

All the best with the terriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I think peoples main problems are not with the good breeders and responsible buyers like yourselves - but with the bad breeders and the buyers who do no research and buy from the bad breeders.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

Ive gotten my two dgs succesfully from done deal! With help fron ikc and breeders listing i got mine! As long as you know how what to say when ringing done deal it works out ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,595 ✭✭✭✭dahat

i have encountered many bad apples myself........

i look through the site regarding my breed daily and i have taken down number's,noticed kenneling area's etc. if i ever buy from there again i can reference these numbers to my notebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭primavera85

i havent bought anything from donedeal, i had my terrier advertised for stud there for a short while, i had so many russel owners ringing me asking to use my dog for stud effectively wanting to xbreed that i chose to remove my advert.

to be honest, i havent seen any dogs on there that are of sufficient quality for me to consider going to view them in my chosen breeds.

• Advertisement

i havent bought anything from donedeal, i had my terrier advertised for stud there for a short while, i had so many russel owners ringing me asking to use my dog for stud effectively wanting to xbreed that i chose to remove my advert.

to be honest, i havent seen any dogs on there that are of sufficient quality for me to consider going to view them in my chosen breeds.

cross breeding russell's with other toy breeds is very common to get so called designer breed's..

buying from there requires alot of thought and carefull observation regarding premises and breeder's..buying from there is not for the first time purchaser in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

I got my pup on done deal, I had been looking for the best part of 2 years pondering the pros and cons of getting another dog. When i seen the pup on the website i was quiet unsure if i was going to buy the dog and spent a good length of time on the phone to the breeder. I met him the following evening at his house and spent well over an hour there with him, talking about his dogs all the time seeing how he interacted with his own and how they were around him. I am quiet happy with the pup and with the guy I bought him off, and would have no hesitation dealing with him in another 17 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭primavera85

dahat wrote: »
    cross breeding russell's with other toy breeds is very common to get so called designer breed's..

buying from there requires alot of thought and carefull observation regarding premises and breeder's..buying from there is not for the first time purchaser in my opinion.

my lad isnt a toy breed, hes a very well bred fell terrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I think the main problem with donedeal is that inexperienced people who are looking for a dog often end up buying a pup from an irresponsible breeder because they don't really know what to look out for. There does seem to be a higher number of dodgy breeders there than in other advertising places.
    Unfortunately alot of people don't know the amount of research that is necessary to buy a healthy pup and think the breeder is being very kind by offering to meet them half way etc.

There's nothing wrong with buying a dog from donedeal but I think it would help its own reputation hugely if it had a 'buyers guide' type article on the 'dog' page with tips to help inexperienced people determine the good breeders from the bad ones

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Through my job I used to come into contact with lots of puppy breeders, or perhaps more accurately, puppy farmers. They all told me they listed on donedeal, and this is what put me off it. Having said that, I have a good friend who found her lovely pup advertised there and from what she told me, it was a perfectly reputable seller, although I had warned her to be EXTREMELY careful. I would personally never, ever use it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

people here have flamed the site----is this from personal experience or has anyone had a good experience buying from there?

I have never bought or sold a dog on donedeal, however it is the only countrywide resource for buying and selling horses. I bought my own horse from the site, I paid less than quarter of the asking price as she was not at all what the current owners said she was. I had 3 visits of over 4 hours each assessing this horse, she had a saddle which did not fit at all, it was impossible to tell what her temprament was because she was completely dosed up on oats, was fat and unhealthy, had the worst farriery work I have ever seen in my life to the point where she wasn't physically able to canter so did proper vertical bucks instead, was being yanked in the mouth and had a wolf tooth that had gone unnoticed, was living in a central heated garage on a concrete floor with no bed. She was completely spoiled and ruined by the owners who were completely ignorant, hadn't a clue and had advertised her as a show-jumping prospect suitable for an adult beginner or a child. They had changed the ad 3 times and it was near where I lived at the time and went out of curiousity. Now I knew exactly what I was getting into but those people could well have been responsible for the death of 'an adult beginner or a child'. Hope this answers your origional question to some extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

I got my pup from donedeal and was very happy although am planning to adopt soon and don't think I'll buy again

our little fella was 8wks and got him from a farmer in mayo
    googled his number and all that came up was an ad or two for farm machinery on buy and sell
    he asked us tonnes of questions about ourselves and the house which was great, I was impressed that he was so interested in the pups future!
    he seemed dissappointed that he wouldn't have him on a farm as he came from generations of working dogs but when we convinced him that we would give him a loving home with plenty of secure outdoor space and exercise etc. he was happy
    we chatted to him and his wife and young son for about an hour and they were genuinely lovely people
    saw the mother who had been out working with him when we arrived and all the siblings as ours was first of the litter to go

whispered hit the nail on the head...it's all about responsible breeding and buying

some tips for weeding out the bad breeders would be:
    Google the contact number/email address to see if they have other dogs advertised or how long since the last litter

When you call just say you're enquiring about the pup on donedeal
    If they say which ones, hang up

when you go to view pups, make sure you see one or both parents.
    have the pups been examined by a vet
    see where they are sleeping and what they are being fed
    are all food and water bowls clean
    have they been wormed and vaccinated
    see how the breeder acts around the dogs and how dogs react to breeder
    do they ask questions about you and your situation ie. is there secure garden? Is there kids? Do you have experience with dogs?

Any good breeder will not allow a pup go to an irresponsible owner...it is their responsibility to ensure this

If that's the route you choose to take then that's your choice

Just try to keep in mind that there are some wonderful dogs (including new-born pups and well trained dogs if owners had to immigrate) in shelters looking for loving homes

the reason why there are so many unwanted dogs in Ireland is because there is such a huge overpopulation of them and a lot of that is down to bad breeders and puppy farms
    If the breeders weren't profiting from what they're doing, there wouldn't be irreponsible people buying dogs and then getting rid of them when they don't want them anymore

A healthy dog of good temperment shouldn't be put down purely because they are a surplus:(

my lad isnt a toy breed, hes a very well bred fell terrier.

not aimed at you at all..it was just a comment on cross breeding..........

• Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

pms33 wrote: »
    A word of warning to anyone looking at advertisements for puppies for sale, the photo in the advertisement may not be of any of the pups in the litter in question at all.
    If you google 'photos of pomeranian pups for sale', you will see that the first pup shown is a beautiful fluffy pup. Isn't he/she gorgeous? I understand that this is a photo of a pup that was for sale some time ago in New Zealand.
    Now if you go to www.buyandsell.ie and search for pomeranian pups for sale, go to an advertisement that has been on the site for the last three weeks, Same photo! What do you think of this?
    Buy and Sell refused to delete this advertisement, according to Buy and Sell it is acceptable for an advertiser to use a photo in his/her advertisement that has been downloaded from Google Images.
    This is so unfair to those seeking to buy a pup. Such a person could incur a lot of travel expenses, in the belief that he/she had seen a lovely photo of one of the litter being advertised for sale.
    This type of misleading advertising would not be allowed by reputable advertising sites in the UK. I understand that it would not be allowed by another Irish site either. I will know which to use if I am looking for a pomeranian pup, certainly not Buy and Sell.

This is your 6th post now, all EXACTLY the same, while i may or may not agree with you it is still spamming the forum.

Why not just enter into a discussion rather than copy and paste the same post over and over?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

I've nothing really to add this as everyone has covered my opinion. Donedeal is full of bad breeders and puppy farmers BUT for every 3 or 4 of them, theres a good breeder. I've gotten dogs of it before but it took a long time to root out the bad eggs and find the good ones. It's a great resource for experienced dog owners/buyers but for the newbie, it can be a minefield that may eventually cost them thousands in vet bills and ultimately lead to heartache.
    They should really have a FAQ for potential owners on the first page, as another poster here already said.
    What annoys me more than the puppy farmers is actually the owners that want to get rid of an older dog cos they havnt got the space etc but are looking for huge sums of money. If, god forbid, I ever had to get rid of my dogs they'd be free to good homes and I'd be VERY picky. Or worse again, the people who advertise the likes of "9 month old akita for sale. Great dog but i havnt got the time for him/her. Will swap for xbox360" I'm not exaggerating, thats an actual ad I reported a while back and there are always more swaps coming up. Some times swapping dogs for different breeds. Sorry, rant over :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

When we were looking for our boxer we did look at donedeal, there was 1 ad that stood out, no pictures, very vague description etc, just 6 boxer pups for sale with papers.

To this day i honestly don't know why my wife phoned up, she spoke to a lady from Meath who hadn't a clue about putting pictures in an ad, they had both mother and father at the house and were true Boxer lovers.

They even wanted to vet all prospective owners.

We went to have a look, lovely house and family, well cared for dogs, KC registered.

They also insisted, that if AT ANY TIME, we were unable to look after the pup then we had to return it to them.

Best call we ever made

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Deeanimallover

I have never bought a dog and never will (rescues all the way for me :D) but I have heard of so many horror stories from people who have bought off done deal or buy & sell etc. Being sold pups that are only 4/5 weeks old, pup really sick, spend €100's in the vets (on top of the €€€ that they paid for the pup in the first place) only for the pup to die. I also cant get over people charging hundreds for "mixed breeds" just coz they are a fancy mix of 2 different purebreeds :confused:

I would spot a dodgey ad/breeder a mile away but unfortuantly majority of people cant. Like the poster who said they think the breeder is "sound" by meeting them half way with the pup! Eh he's not being sound he's being clever as he probably doesnt want you seeing the mother dog, home etc

OP you sound very responsible though - do you advertise on any of the animal websites?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

I think buyers have to take a lot more responsibility. Whereever they're buying from, there's a risk- whether that's from Done Deal, Buy and Sell, an ad in the local pet shop or through an IKC recommendation.

A simple Google search will give anyone hundreds of tips as to what to look for in a reputable breeder.

Just turning around and saying "I'm not happy, it's Done Deal's fault" is a cop-out.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Deeanimallover

00112984 wrote: »
    I think buyers have to take a lot more responsibility. Whereever they're buying from, there's a risk- whether that's from Done Deal, Buy and Sell, an ad in the local pet shop or through an IKC recommendation.

A simple Google search will give anyone hundreds of tips as to what to look for in a reputable breeder.

Just turning around and saying "I'm not happy, it's Done Deal's fault" is a cop-out.

I havent come across anyone who has actually blamed the website! I totally agree with you though that potential buyers need to really put a lot of effort into researching the breeder etc. The amount of people Ive come across that have bought pups at less than 8 weeks and are shocked when they realise the pups should be with the mother till at least 8 weeks, even though these would be people that will tell you they had dogs all their lives etc but its amazing how little some of them know :confused:

but I have heard of so many horror stories from people who have bought off done deal or buy & sell etc. Being sold pups that are only 4/5 weeks old, pup really sick,

people who buy 4/5 week old pups are just irresponsible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

There's nothing wrong with buying a dog from donedeal but I think it would help its own reputation hugely if it had a 'buyers guide' type article on the 'dog' page with tips to help inexperienced people determine the good breeders from the bad ones

It has a Link to Wiki dog breeds, a very small guide/ a paragraph to getting a dog and its guide to puppy farms on the every advert page.

They are also very quick to respond to reports of dodgy ads. I reported the ad below and it was gone within the hour. Although i have seen people advertising they'll hold dogs till Dec 24th which breaks their Strict rules.

donedealad.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

I have never bought or sold a dog on donedeal, however it is the only countrywide resource for buying and selling horses.

have you come across this site?

http://www.equineworld.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

went onto donedeal.ie alot looking for a pup and came across some nasty stuff at times and ads that looked weak with pups in baskets etc - put the word out with friends and then got a terrier pup just now from a friend of a friend who asked me alot before giving up a pup (because I fancied the only bitch pup he had he wanted to make sure I would spay it at 6 months) - to be honest I felt more assured leaving him (especially as he told me to call him any time in case I had questions and to let me know if the pup had problems) - this is the sort of fella you would want to be purchasing a pup from ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

liger wrote: »
    It has a Link to Wiki dog breeds, a very small guide/ a paragraph to getting a dog and its guide to puppy farms on the every advert page.

They are also very quick to respond to reports of dodgy ads. I reported the ad below and it was gone within the hour. Although i have seen people advertising they'll hold dogs till Dec 24th which breaks their Strict rules.

That's good, hadn't noticed this before, probably because the note is so small! It'd be better if it was designed to be more noticable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

I have never bought or sold a dog on donedeal, however it is the only countrywide resource for buying and selling horses. I bought my own horse from the site, I paid less than quarter of the asking price as she was not at all what the current owners said she was. I had 3 visits of over 4 hours each assessing this horse, she had a saddle which did not fit at all, it was impossible to tell what her temprament was because she was completely dosed up on oats, was fat and unhealthy, had the worst farriery work I have ever seen in my life to the point where she wasn't physically able to canter so did proper vertical bucks instead, was being yanked in the mouth and had a wolf tooth that had gone unnoticed, was living in a central heated garage on a concrete floor with no bed. She was completely spoiled and ruined by the owners who were completely ignorant, hadn't a clue and had advertised her as a show-jumping prospect suitable for an adult beginner or a child. They had changed the ad 3 times and it was near where I lived at the time and went out of curiousity. Now I knew exactly what I was getting into but those people could well have been responsible for the death of 'an adult beginner or a child'. Hope this answers your origional question to some extent.

who's to blame?

if i were buying a horse,you'd better believe i'd have me homework done first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭TigerTim

I check the dogs on DoneDeal every day & am constantly amazed at the prices charged for what I call Mongrels with "makey-up" names but which are considered by some to be designer breeds. Do people actually give between 200 & 400 Euro for these dogs. By the way slightly off-topic, it's a great site for selling cars/camper/machinery.

T.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Got my little boy from Done Deal. Very nice lady who let us see the parents, and the set-up she had. Dog was vaccinated, vet-checked and we got a bag of food with him too. Unfortunately, he has no papers, but as he's a pet not worried, although for personal reasons we'd like a pup from him before he's sorted.

Got another dog for a family member from Done Deal too. Although this dog is IKC, again no problems.

I guess it's a case of Buyer Beware. You woudn't buy a car without viewing it or doing research. Neither would you buy a house that way. So with something as important as a new family member, then you would do your research...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Got my little boy from Done Deal. Very nice lady who let us see the parents, and the set-up she had. Dog was vaccinated, vet-checked and we got a bag of food with him too. Unfortunately, he has no papers, but as he's a pet not worried, although for personal reasons we'd like a pup from him before he's sorted.Got another dog for a family member from Done Deal too. Although this dog is IKC, again no problems.

I guess it's a case of Buyer Beware. You woudn't buy a car without viewing it or doing research. Neither would you buy a house that way. So with something as important as a new family member, then you would do your research...

You should not breed from this dog as he has no papers. Did his parents have papers? The reason you should not breed from him is because he has no pedigree that can be traced if he isnt registered so for all you know he could be mating with close relations.
    Also, as a male dog, you will find it very hard to find anyone who will want to use your dog for stud as hi isnt registered and then obviously the pups cannot be registered either.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

sligopark wrote: »
    have you come across this site?

http://www.equineworld.ie/

I have, haven't looked at it in a while, it looks a bit different from it used to. After the first page the ad's are over 1 month old as well so still not much 'traffic' on it.
    thebullkf wrote: »
    who's to blame?

if i were buying a horse,you'd better believe i'd have me homework done first.

I'm well aware it's buyer beware but these people really should have known better, the daughter being a fairly accomplished rider and selling because she couldn't handle this horse. I asked if I could see someone ride her, they refused! They also refused my request to take her on trial. The world of horses really is a minefield and they had this ad written in such a manner to attract a certain type of buyer. The ad was changed from very green to a little green but quiet and would suit a lady to a lovely quiet horse suitable for an adult beginner or a child, basically because they were getting no interest.
    An awful lot of people in the market for a horse are the unknowledgeable parents of a teenager who has weekly lessons or whatever. No amount of homework is a subsititute for the fact that someone has to actually sit on the horse to determine if it's suitable or not. Riding instructors are also very reluctant to get involved in the process and I can't really blame them for this as they'd be putting themselves at risk if they make a mistake or if something goes wrong.

As for me personally, I prefer to pick a horse up out of the dirt and try to make something of it so a more accurate description and appropriate price tag would have caught my attention straight away ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

people who buy 4/5 week old pups are just irresponsible

I think thats a bit harsh. Ill informed and unaware of the pitfalls of buying a puppy would be a more accurate description IMO. The majority of new puppy buyers simply aren't aware of the little things that are so important. I know for a fact that if my mam, for example, decided to get a pup, shed select a breed by talking to friends and neighbours but wouldnt have a clue how to spot a puppy farmer, the significance of IKC papers, that taking a dog under 8 weeks is bad etc. She also doesnt know how to use the interweb either so couldnt do the rerearch that so many potential dog owners do by coming onto sites like this. Obviously in my mams case I'd make sure she didnt make any of those mistakes.The people who ARE aware of these things but choose to ignore them are irresponsible.

Advertisement