Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

itouch not connecting to wifi

• 06-08-2009 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

i am not a happy bunnyat all
    aplashed out on apple 16gb itouch today
    have synched (in process of synching) my music from laptop
    all seems to be going well as its playing away
    but when i tried to set up the wifi so i could connect to the internet
    DISASTER!!
    i thought i must have the router password wrong but i got one of those
    apps from the web to read it for me and i was using the correct one
    and i still not connect to my etwork

i select settings and then wifi connections
    my one comes up on the list of available networks (just like when i connect laptop to it) and when i select it
    it asks for a password - which i enter but
    it keeps telling me - unable to join network xx
    and i have to click on a dismiss button
    :(
    can someone please point me in the right direction
    what am i doing wrong????

its nearly taken all teh good out of getting it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭dave oc

Are you copy and pasting your password when asked for it? I had a similar problem and had to enter it manually, which sucks when its 64 digit WPA alphanumeric case sensitive password :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Panda Bear

i am not a happy bunnyat all
    aplashed out on apple 16gb itouch today
    have synched (in process of synching) my music from laptop
    all seems to be going well as its playing away
    but when i tried to set up the wifi so i could connect to the internet
    DISASTER!!

i select settings and then wifi connections
    my one comes up on the list of available networks (just like when i connect laptop to it) and when i select it
    it asks for a password - which i enter but
    it keeps telling me - unable to join network xx
    and i have to click on a dismiss button
    :(
    can someone please point me in the right direction
    what am i doing wrong????

its nearly taken all teh good out of getting it

Ok I will give it a go...The fact that the Ipod can see the network is a good starting point.
    So are you quite sure it is your own Wifi network you are choosing..does it have an indentifible name..The router may or may not be broadcasting the SID ( wireless name )

If so you could really have a wrong password.
    Or
    please dont forget you also have to choose the encryption level
    that has been set on the wifi network
    so.....
    on the ipod go thru again
    settings...wifi....uder name......tap security
    from there select the security level thats been set on the wifi such as WEP, WPA, WPA2 etc....and try again

if fails........................
    Connect your laptop to the Router with a Lan cable and login to the router
    Find the security section and check the security section for the key

How to ..............
    boot up the laptop
    open internet explorer or other browser you use
    Enter 192.168.1.1 as this is normally the ip of the router
    hopefully this will pop up a login page for the router web interface
    if you have this setup then enter the login detail
    if not you could go out to the internet and find the default username and password for this Router make.....
    Find the security section and check the security section for the key

failing all this you could of course just reset the modem and begin again.
    There is a reset button on most wireless router
    having don that you login again with the default details and set up the security and password you want to use .

By the way you can do this with any laptop or pc that is currently using the Wifi at the moment for internet
    no lan cable is required.
    Open the browser and enter to address 192.168.1.1 in the address bar and this also will ask you to login to the router
    and when intere you could reset the password for yourself again but remember you will then have to reset the password for ALL devices in your house wnating to use the internet wirelessly

• Registered Users Posts: 21 prettygirl9

i think i'm going to cry
    i dont know how to do half of this
    i have checked that my password is correct
    by disconnecting the connection to the internet on my laptop
    and manually entering the password and it reconnects fine

but i havent a clue how to go about resetting the router etc
    i cant tap into any security setting on the wifi connection on the itouch
    as its not an option
    when i select the connection it just asks me for a password
    sometimes it goes into a screen where it asks about ipaddress stuff
    (also which i dont understand)

pandabear wrote : By the way you can do this with any laptop or pc that is currently using the Wifi at the moment for internet
    no lan cable is required.
    Open the browser and enter to address 192.168.1.1 in the address bar and this also will ask you to login to the router
    and when intere you could reset the password for yourself again but remember you will then have to reset the password for ALL devices in your house wnating to use the internet wirelessly

.....but i cant even do that as dont know what the user should be it keeps telling me unauthorised - totally lost!

totally confused and disheartened :(
    i am going to the states soon adn thought this would be the best thing to have for internet access and musicability ... not so sure now ..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

There is your problem.

Do not rely on one of those apps to do the work for you.

Ok, some basic questions:

What type of router are you connecting to? Is it a BT/Eircom/Magnet/whatever?

Is the router plugged into the telephone line (i.e. is it a DSL modem/router)?

If it is a BT Voyager DSL modem/router, the password you are looking for is on a sticker on the bottom of the unit. It will be a long password, with numbers and letters, something like a4c92eb103d22

Is your laptop successfully connecting to the wireless router and the internet (in other words, are you 100% certain your wireless router is working)?

What type of router are you connecting to? Is it a BT/Eircom/Magnet/whatever?

em...well my internet connector is through clearwire i think?? and then i bought a dlink router in argos and got it setup etc

Is the router plugged into the telephone line (i.e. is it a DSL modem/router)?

no its plugged into the thingy for the internet as i have no phoneline in house

Is your laptop successfully connecting to the wireless router and the internet (in other words, are you 100% certain your wireless router is working)?
    well i am online at the moment wirelessly or whatever it is called so i am presuming its all working tho i just dont know how!

the app thing did give me a long key too but the password was in normal letters too so used it - should i try the long version??

apologies for being so vague but i dont really know what i am doing. thanx for ur patience in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

on the ipod, simple is best

turn your modem off for 2 mins, unplugging all the cables
    reset the network settings on the ipod
    turn on airplane mode for 10 secs, then off again

try your connection again

what is airplane mode?
    i'm off to try anyways
    back shortly

apologies for being so vague but i dont really know what i am doing. thanx for ur patience in advance

Don't worry, we have all been there at some stage. Granted, for me it was back in 1993, with a dial-up 14.4k modem and Windows 3.1, but I was just as confused. :)

Anyway, sounds like your connection is as follows:

<internet>--<Clearwire modem>----<Wireless Router>--<laptop/iPod touch>

Is that correct?

If so, on the laptop do the following:

Click on Start->Run

In there, enter the three letters CMD and press return. A black window will appear.

In that, enter the following: IPCONFIG and press return. It doesn't matter if it is capital letters or small, but just make sure to enter nothing else.

You should see something like: (remember, what you see may be slightly different)

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : clearwire.ie
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.139.32
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.139.1

The last bit is what you want, the default gateway.

Open up a web browser and enter in the default gateyway number. DO NOT enter anything else (i.e. do not put in http:// or https:// or anything like that, just the number as it is).

That will bring you to the Router configuration screen. I don't know anything about the router you have (post up the make/model and we can see), but you need to look out for something on the screen to do with Wireless, specifically encryption or security. In there (somewhere) you will find the WEP key you are looking for.

Enter this into your iPod touch, and you are sorted.

Easy. :D
    turn your modem off for 2 mins, unplugging all the cables
    reset the network settings on the ipod
    turn on airplane mode for 10 secs, then off again

try your connection again

She still needs the WEP key. :)

rightey

That will bring you to the Router configuration screen. I don't know anything about the router you have (post up the make/model and we can see), but you need to look out for something on the screen to do with Wireless, specifically encryption or security. In there (somewhere) you will find the WEP key you are looking for.

i have done this where u enter the address into the web place - it pops up a wee screen asking for a user and password...?? i have tried but i get unautorized?.. so cant get into it to see key or whatever

i have looked at the boxes... the internet broadband comes through a thompson box and the router is a dlink

am afraid to reset the whole router thing in case i end up with no internet access at all..

the router is a dlink

Google "dlink <model number> default password" :)

It's usually something like admin admin or admin dlink.

• Advertisement

ok now feeling really daft
    in my search for the model no for the dlink
    located sticker on the back with username and password <blank - ha>
    so i can now get onto the website page thing when u enter the numbers
    but it has no effect on the itouch connecting to wifi
    where do i look now??

thank u - at least there is progress of some sort! :D

ok now feeling really daft
    in my search for the model no for the dlink
    located sticker on the back with username and password <blank - ha>
    so i can now get onto the website page thing when u enter the numbers
    but it has no effect on the itouch connecting to wifi
    where do i look now??

thank u - at least there is progress of some sort! :D

You have to find the part of the webpage that lists the WEP key. I can't help you on this one, you are on your own.

As I said above, look for a section titled "wireless" and then, possibly, under "security" or "encryption".

have looked at each part of it
    (by the way its a D-Link DI-524)
    and cant see anything listing a WEP key
    or anything on encryption or security
    there is an area that allows u to change passwords
    for the admin and the user

i am trying that to see - keep ya posted
    pray it works cause otherwise i am back to square one!
    thanx again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 RossN

Hi.
    I am having similar issues.
    I have a Jailbroken/Unlocked 3G 16Gb. I have it all working, except the WiFi. I assume the WiFi part is similar to an iTouch.
    I have tried connecting to many networks using the WEP keys, and I am able to connect to these networks using my laptop.

How do you get to the security settings to specify WEP or different?
    Is there any other possible ways to sort this?

If I get it fixed, I'll post back here with the information.

Cheers,
    Ross.

have looked at each part of it
    (by the way its a D-Link DI-524)
    and cant see anything listing a WEP key
    or anything on encryption or security
    there is an area that allows u to change passwords
    for the admin and the user

i am trying that to see - keep ya posted
    pray it works cause otherwise i am back to square one!
    thanx again

Here's the manual for your router:

ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/di_broadband_gateways/di-524/di-524_manual.pdf

There is a screen shot in there that is cunningly titled "Wireless". Something tells me that what you are looking for is in there.

The step you have taken when you said you disconnected the pc and had no internet and you then entered the password and did connect to the internet says to me you have very successfully and very simply confirmed you have the right password for the Wifi connection.

assuming you did lose your connection to the internet and then did test and found it working again

so it would appear to confirm that the issue is with the ipod and password.
    The fact that you did enter the ip address as mentioned 192.168.139.1 and you got the screen for the login prompt to allow you access to the router confirms you can coonect to the wirless router via the pc and now need to find those details.

you have found those details and you are now in the web page or screen that shows a lot of information about your router and connection information it is only a matter of locating the section which will tell you the specifics or your connection method , for example wep Wppawka but dont worry about such thisngs as yet we can help there.

I think it is a WPA based router
    and please look for a tab or button called wirless which will show SID (Network name that you see when trying to connect )
    Channell you are using
    Security
    Wep lencryption level
    now you will not be able to read the key but at lest you will now know the type of key ( wep wpa or wka )

you will need this information with you password to connect your ipod

does anyone on the board have a dlink router and can you go in there and point out the section please.....

perhap you could take some screen shots of the different pages and we could see

was over at my friends last nite and could connect to her internet through itouch and she showed me the type of password (big long alphanumeric thingy) so when got home tried to find sthg similar - no joy
    have been looking at the manual - double dutch
    but went back to connecting to the dlink page on internet through
    the numbers and on the wireless section this is what it looks like

(tried to printscrn and attach no joy so heres the typed version)

Wireless Enabled
    Network dlink
    Channel 6
    Security WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK
    Preshare Key password <-- ie the one i've been using!!!!!

now i dont know where/how to find the big long WEP key thingy that my friend had...hers was acshully on a sticker at the bottom of her modem - not so on mine - does this mean the WEP key is through the modem and the router is not the problem at all????

ps : changed the Security level to WEP but there was no numbers in there so no joy

was over at my friends last nite and could connect to her internet through itouch and she showed me the type of password (big long alphanumeric thingy) so when got home tried to find sthg similar - no joy
    have been looking at the manual - double dutch
    but went back to connecting to the dlink page on internet through
    the numbers and on the wireless section this is what it looks like

(tried to printscrn and attach no joy so heres the typed version)

Wireless Enabled
    Network dlink
    Channel 6
    Security WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK
    Preshare Key password <-- ie the one i've been using!!!!!

now i dont know where/how to find the big long WEP key thingy that my friend had...hers was acshully on a sticker at the bottom of her modem - not so on mine - does this mean the WEP key is through the modem and the router is not the problem at all????

ps : changed the Security level to WEP but there was no numbers in there so no joy

PLease put things back as they were......

As you can see you have discovered you are using WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK security.
    Your friend is using WEP with a long wep key this is her password not one you can use.
    Stick with your own password please
    the issue is only your Ipod .
    you most definetly need to find on your Ipod the section to let your Ipod know you want to make a WPA connection with your own password.
    Let me know what model Ipod you have got and I will see how you enter the security ...It is in the same place where you select your network and secuirty level...get back to me with the Ipod model please...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

May I piggy back on this discussion too please? (If not, mods, please feel free to move/delete).

My wifi was working fine at home on my ipod touch. Everything else that uses the wifi is still working fine (laptops, netbooks, wii, phones). Since I upgraded to 3.0 I haven't been able to connect - the ipod sees the network, full strength etc, but it just gives me "Cannot connect" if I try to use it. Have double checked password and encryption settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

The key will probably be Hex, which means the vaild characters are 0123456789ABCDEF Make sure you are not getting the O and 0 mixed up.

• Advertisement

No, you are connecting to the wireless router, so you have to find the key/passphrase in the settings somewhere.
    Panda Bear wrote: »
    get back to me with the Ipod model please...

It's an iPod touch.
    Thoie wrote: »
    May I piggy back on this discussion too please? (If not, mods, please feel free to move/delete).

My wifi was working fine at home on my ipod touch. Everything else that uses the wifi is still working fine (laptops, netbooks, wii, phones). Since I upgraded to 3.0 I haven't been able to connect - the ipod sees the network, full strength etc, but it just gives me "Cannot connect" if I try to use it. Have double checked password and encryption settings.

It's usually something as trivial as mixing up the zero and letter 'O' as dingding says.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    It's usually something as trivial as mixing up the zero and letter 'O' as dingding says.

Not possible in my case, as I set the password on the router myself, and it hasn't changed in years :o

Not possible in my case, as I set the password on the router myself, and it hasn't changed in years :o

Could I just clarify - are you talking about the password used to change settings, or the password required to connect to the wireless network (i.e. the WEP/WPA passphrase)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

I had exactly the same problem - itouch was unable to connect etc even though I was entering the correct WEP key. Someone on the Apple forum suggested simply rebooting the iPod and re-entering the key- it worked and I've had no probs since

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Could I just clarify - are you talking about the password used to change settings, or the password required to connect to the wireless network (i.e. the WEP/WPA passphrase)?

Sorry Tom, talking about the WEP passphrase - for the sake of argument let's say I've set the WEP passphrase in my router to 1234567891 and the network name is ThoieNet. Let's say the admin password for the router is Admin (just so there's no confusion).

On all my other devices, I look for wireless, it shows ThoieNet, I click, it asks for a password, and I enter 1234567891. That previously worked for my iPod.

However now when I go into the wireless options on my iPod, it shows ThoieNet, I click that, it asks for a password, I enter 1234567891, and it tells me it can't connect :(

Yep I had a look at this and it should connect regardless of wep wpa etc.
    Not sure how to help you now on this one. Before I suggest you do the anything more perhaps you could do a reboot of the ipod touch.

1.Press and hold the power button and the square home button at the same time.
    2.Wait some time it will reset eventually.
    3.Be patient.

wep wpa etc all mean nothing to the Ipod so no worry there.
    If you have to reset the router we can help you with this

Panda Bear wrote: »
    Yep I had a look at this and it should connect regardless of wep wpa etc.
    Not sure how to help you now on this one. Before I suggest you do the anything more perhaps you could do a reboot of the ipod touch.

1.Press and hold the power button and the square home button at the same time.
    2.Wait some time it will reset eventually.
    3.Be patient.

wep wpa etc all mean nothing to the Ipod so no worry there.
    If you have to reset the router we can help you with this

i've done what you suggested but no joy :'(
    my itouch is a 16gb 2.2.1 (5H11a)
    i dont seem to have this security option on the list of networks
    there is the DCHP/BootP/Static option
    but i have no idea if i should have anything entered...

Not sure which was to point you now
    The section you just listed is not important right now as this is automaticall filled when the connection is made.

Why not just go back into the router as you have and then into the wirless section and set it all to none encryption
    this way you do not need any level of encryption any level of security until such time as you get a connection and then set up the security level once more with a new password later when you are happy it all works

do you have any IT savvy Friends or IT people in work that could help you out with this.

I apologise for saying this but I am not so sure you are following the posts here and jumping about a bit understandably thru fraustration

OK there is some progress woppideedooo!!!
    i did as u suggested and turned the security to none
    and hooray i was able to connect using my itouch
    happy days
    but obv dont want to leave network open
    so changed it back to what it was before security WPA etc
    and gave it a password
    and its the same thing - cant connect using itouch

but a step in the right direction mehopes!
    thanx for your patience and help

• Advertisement

anyone with any further suggestions?

Advertisement