Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston Flt Returns.

• 16-06-2014 8:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭

The Dub-Bos flight had to return yesterday due to 7 out the 8cc complaining of feeling sick. None of them were in need of hospital treatment. The flight was cancelled. Anyone any more news of this?. My source is aertel/rte.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Some new strain of flu? Green flu?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Are they doing three flights today?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Cessna_Pilot

Aertel?! Jesus is that still going?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

ectoraige wrote: »
    Some new strain of flu? Green flu?
    New form of work to rule perhaps, or maybe just a nice day to be at the beach with the family?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Is it not a tad rude to curse on an online forum?

Maybe manners down there are different but certainly up here we wouldn't be cursing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

owenc wrote: »

Maybe manners down there are different but certainly up here we wouldn't be cursing.

Where's there cursing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

owenc wrote: »

But what if:

C7F345C176CA4759B586EE50245980A8-0000371550-0003588415-00668L-6D76261F59B648C484F2AA61C501E4CE.jpg

But once he gains a bit more experience he'll go back to Mexico.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

EIN111 currently on the move,

http://www.flightradar24.com/EIN111/396779d

Is this to bring the pax who had to return yesterday?

I googled the address and it says its SNN - JFK :confused:

Would Aer lingus have to get a replacement A/C to even cover people who maybe stuck in Boston?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

What I've seen elsewhere is that the SNN-JFK flight is going SNN-DUB-JFK to replace the second JFK flight ex-DUB to give them the craft to do more to Boston. That its a 757 going to somewhere other than Toronto out of DUB seems to suggest that's the case anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Alaba320

Slow decompression

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Surely you'd have had pax very unwell also?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Red Alert wrote: »
    Surely you'd have had pax very unwell also?

Not necessarily, if the crew were serving drinks/food then they would be first affected due to physical exertion. And I would guess that airline crew are trained to identify the symptoms, I would guess some pax did feel less that 100% but may not have known what was wrong.
    Isn't lost of judgment one of the first signs of hypoxia?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Would the differential pressure change be seen on the cockpit?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

Two business class pax were also taken ill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

Alaba320 wrote: »
    Slow decompression

There was nothing , nada, zilch , wrong with the aircraft re technical issues. To accuse that the aircraft had a decompression is a scurrilous remark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Jack1985

There was nothing , nada, zilch , wrong with the aircraft re technical issues. To accuse that the aircraft had a decompression is a scurrilous remark.

That's not confirmed at all. That is why there is an investigation being carried out to confirm what exactly happened.
    Would the differential pressure change be seen on the cockpit?

It would be if a large jump in pressure was detected (even by the aircraft itself) however, if its a slow decompression it would be a while before it would be noticed. For example if you are carrying out your ECAM check and spot the Cabin Altitude at 7,656ft - Then in the next 30 minutes you see it at 7,895ft and then again in 30 minutes see it at 8,118ft - You are only to notice it properly on the second check. What could further throw you off a suspected decompression is there being no data suggesting the cabin altitude climbing e.g. on the Airbus an arrow can point upwards/downwards with the rate of pressure change in the cabin.

There was no cabin altitude issues jack. Get off your moral high horse and accept same.

There was no cabin altitude issues jack. Get off your moral high horse and accept same.

Did I say there was? I gave an example of a slow decompression. So turn the advice on yourself there I'd say. I'm not the one spouting my mouth off when there has been no actual determination made yet.

Both of the above posters are technically correct.

There is an ongoing investigation into the issues that lead to an A330 returning to base with 7 of 8 cabin crew members ill, (reports of at least 2 J class pax being ill are unconfirmed) The initial media reports (always suspect) do seem to line up with a possible cabin air/pressure issue. (Unless of course most of the crew all had a pre-flight curry!!) However no info on an actual fault have been published. EI of course will be tightlipped for commercial reasons, that's completely understandable.

So lets all just stop with the verging on insulting/ tit for tat posts and wait to see what the investigation throws up.

EDIT: I stand corrected....the incident has made AVHerald. the comments are worthy of journal.ie

Just on Avherald now spotted it, very much initial details - http://avherald.com/h?article=475f1a22&opt=0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Alaba320

You're gonna look pretty silly when the report comes out.

I could have sworn I asked for a little bit of maturity and less finger pointing in relation to this incident.....

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭A319er

Ok no tech issues found
    No cargo hold issues
    No air conditioning issues
    No pressurisation issues
    No temperature issues
    No food issues
    No dry ice issues

So?

Yeap a total fool ;)

Yeap a total fool ;)

Just to point out I had it confirmed this morning that a fault was indeed found and it is being investigated if that fault let to the nausea experienced by crew and two pax in J (although the latter can't be confirmed still) - And also to point out if there is even a remote possibility of there being an issue with the packs (and I'm not saying there is Suasdaguna just to make sure you can distinguish opinions and facts) they will be the first to feel it as there respiratory system is working harder than anyone else's because there moving.

As has been pointed out what actually happened won't be known for a while yet, so this who's right or wrong commenting is pitiful - given that this an aviation forum there is no issue discussing possible scenarios people are asking. Don't worry though for you anti EI guys/gals, Cessna Pilot will be along liking your posts soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭kub

I trust they have found the reason, as if it was with the actual aircraft then surely it would not have been back in service.

kub wrote: »
    I trust they have found the reason, as if it was with the actual aircraft then surely it would not have been back in service.

They have indeed, they are simply investigating if the fault found could cause the effects felt by crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Don't worry though for you anti EI guys/gals, Cessna Pilot will be along liking your posts soon enough.

You were going grand until you added this at the end of your post. It's uncalled for and could be viewed as baiting another poster. Tenger already issued a warning on thread, any more of this and there'll be infractions.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Jack1985 wrote: »
    They have indeed.

Really,enlighten us?? I Assume you are A330 rated or some sort of manager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭billie1b

Bussywussy wrote: »
    Really,enlighten us?? I Assume you are A330 rated or some sort of manager

No need to be smart to be honest, he doesn't need to be a rated pilot or manager to know if the problem was found, he could simply be ground staff, station control, ops, engineer and so on. The airline industry is a close knit place, when problems like these occur we all find out the reasons why and so on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement