Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Commission Free Sterling & Dollars

• 15-03-2012 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭

For a limited time, at selected An Post branches.

link

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Fidelis wrote: »

link
    I'm fairly sure this has been the case for some time now. Also, the link doesn't say anything about it being for a limited time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 494 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Been this way for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

As it swings in roundabouts. It seems An Post give you a slightly worse rate than the banks do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Where's the bargain?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Thats an atrocious exchange rate for dollars. (AIB were 1.29 this afternoon)

There be no bargain here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

You can buy Dollars / Sterling in An Post but if you have any left over after your holiday, An Post won't buy them back off you.

You'll have to go somewhere else - so you may end up paying commission on a small amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I found this last year too, appalling rate to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,607 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

An post for Forex.....lol. They are having a laugh with their rates.
    Check out the bank rates.

http://www.fxcentre.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Nowhere sells foreign currency at the exchange rate. Can anyone point to what the buy/sell rates and commision per transaction for any of the alledged cheaper places?

One thing to note, if you are only getting a small amount, commission free with AnPost works out cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

An post for Forex.....lol. They are having a laugh with their rates.
    Check out the bank rates.

http://www.fxcentre.com/

Indeed

Sterling

AIB FX Centre - 0.8315

An Post - 0.8071

U.S. Dollars

AIB FX Centre - 1.3083

An Post - 1.2683

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

vicwatson wrote: »
    Indeed

Sterling

AIB FX Centre - 0.8315

An Post - 0.8071

U.S. Dollars

AIB FX Centre - 1.3083

An Post - 1.2683

:)

From Ulster Bank
    USD Sell 1.2687 Stg Sell 0.8091
    Don't know if they have transaction fees
    From AIB
    USD Sell 1.2894 Stg Sell 0.8203
    Plus Transaction fee 1.0% of value Minimum €1.27 / Maximum €6.35

So AIB is probably the best price out AIB, AnPost, and Ulster Bank. Just about!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭florawest

Hi if you have a credit union account, you do not pay commission, but euro is bad at the moment when buying sterling:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I wouldn't write-off An Post for forex.

I've not checked recently but in the past 12 months I've needed fairly large amounts of USD and GBP for my travels. Each time, I compared AIB, PTSB, UB, and An Post for their forex. Every time, An Post was most favourable. Though of course, this may not be the case any more..

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

I wouldn't write-off An Post for forex.

I've not checked recently but in the past 12 months I've needed fairly large amounts of USD and GBP for my travels. Each time, I compared AIB, PTSB, UB, and An Post for their forex. Every time, An Post was most favourable. Though of course, this may not be the case any more..

Are you sure you compared correctly ? The commission at the banks has a max so for any decent amount that is what you pay (€6.35 IIRC) . The An post rate has been horrendously bad since last June when I first checked it out and comparing to AIB and BOI , you would be mad to use an post ......

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭work.inprocess

Fidelis wrote: »

link

Or comission free in most banks for anyone with a student account

Limestone1 wrote: »
    Are you sure you compared correctly ? The commission at the banks has a max so for any decent amount that is what you pay (€6.35 IIRC) . The An post rate has been horrendously bad since last June when I first checked it out and comparing to AIB and BOI , you would be mad to use an post ......

I actually saved in Google Docs the details of one of the smaller transactions I was comparing. Here it is..

€500 to £, 26/08/2011
    Ulster Bank £427.87
    Perm TSB £426.02
    AIB £428.09
    An Post £428.55

^^ those were the net amounts, after any applicable charges. The USD comparisons I did were for around €4000 as I recall, and the savings at An Post were greater, but I can't seem to find the details now. It was a year ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭confusedquark

Went looking for sterling today, for £500 got the following rates (commission included):

AIB: 622 Euro
    Bank of Ireland: 623 Euro
    PTSB: Don't give you more than £200 without having an account with them
    Ulster Bank: 618 Euro
    Post Office: 617 Euro

A quick google search tells you £500 = 598 Euro ... serious rip-off :mad:

Went looking for sterling today, for £500 got the following rates (commission included):

AIB: 622 Euro
    Bank of Ireland: 623 Euro
    PTSB: Don't give you more than £200 without having an account with them
    Ulster Bank: 618 Euro
    Post Office: 617 Euro

A quick google search tells you £500 = 598 Euro ... serious rip-off :mad:
    An Post still cheapest for Sterling then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Like someone said a while back - No bargain here. Move the thread to Banking? Or people will be coming here day after day wasting their time thinking there is a bargain to be had.

Advertisement