Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭med1

still no sign of roadshows
    i have seen an advance copy of the new 40 timetable and if it works as shown it will be an improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

med1 wrote: »
    i have seen an advance copy of the new 40 timetable and if it works as shown it will be an improvement

That is understandable,but the problem is that the advance viewings of the already implimented Network Direct changes on the other sectors were equally impressive with much mention of 8 - 10 minute frequencies which simply failed to materialize.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Bazzer2

That's what they said about the 145. Welcome to 40-minute gaps in service. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Fired off an email to the DB Network Direct team,not expecting a response but at least I had a chance to vent my spleen!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Bazzer2 wrote: »
    That's what they said about the 145. Welcome to 40-minute gaps in service. :mad:

ah now, come on. the 145 maintains an average 10 min gap, just cos there's 3 within 6 mins and then a 24 min gap
    :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Fired off an email to the DB Network Direct team,not expecting a response but at least I had a chance to vent my spleen!

Whilst spleen venting can be satisfying to the venter,I would caution against it in this phase of tyhe Network Direct consultations.

The benefit for those DB customers who remain as yet un-Network Directed is that the ND concept is now actuality as opposed to an unproven entity.

This means that customers now have very real actual deficiencies which can be used to secure changes in what were thought top be fool-proof plans going forward.

One of the area`s however where the Company has absolute domination is the area of Statistics,which of course are largely generated by their own infrastructure.

The original Network Direct introduction to Staff Reprersentatives laid heavy emphasis on a shed-full of highly detailed statistics covering each route down to intervals of seconds.

Whilst the very act of producing such an amount of detailed figures was enough to shut-off most initial scepticism,the actual operational results of what those Statistics enabled has been little short of a disaster.

There may be hope this time around,for customers to gather somewhat more solid responses with which to challenge the raft of PR centred stuff which will be put on the table.

And remember,please do try and keep it civil....;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭kthnxbai

Bazzer2 wrote: »

In all fairness, it's not like that doesn't happen anyway...

I'd like to know when we're gonna actually get to see the timetable though...
    I emailed DB about something else wrt ND a while back and they said mid January for timetables...

I just can't see how putting the 40 down Tolka Valley Road is going to work... Well, I mean it's much quicker for me during off-peak times but in my experience, it adds about 5 mins onto the journey when compared to the 40A in rush hour...

Chuffed it's gonna go cross city though... that terminus at Parnell street was nasty...

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Whilst spleen venting can be satisfying to the venter,I would caution against it in this phase of tyhe Network Direct consultations.

The benefit for those DB customers who remain as yet un-Network Directed is that the ND concept is now actuality as opposed to an unproven entity.

This means that customers now have very real actual deficiencies which can be used to secure changes in what were thought top be fool-proof plans going forward.

One of the area`s however where the Company has absolute domination is the area of Statistics,which of course are largely generated by their own infrastructure.

The original Network Direct introduction to Staff Reprersentatives laid heavy emphasis on a shed-full of highly detailed statistics covering each route down to intervals of seconds.

Whilst the very act of producing such an amount of detailed figures was enough to shut-off most initial scepticism,the actual operational results of what those Statistics enabled has been little short of a disaster.

There may be hope this time around,for customers to gather somewhat more solid responses with which to challenge the raft of PR centred stuff which will be put on the table.

And remember,please do try and keep it civil....;)

Ah I kept it very civil,just layed out my thoughts and concerns about the proposed changes and the flaws that I can see in them,you'll get no effin and blinding from me!

Reply from DB:

Thank you for your views on the proposed service changes for the Clondalkin area. The services levels provided for by the revised route 13 will be adjusted to cater for the demand while providing a simplified network and increased cross city penetration for customers in Clondalkin and the Naas Road areas. Please be assured that your views will be considered as part of our consultation programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

ah now, come on. the 145 maintains an average 10 min gap, just cos there's 3 within 6 mins and then a 24 min gap
    :pac::pac::pac:

To be fair, that used to happen pre Network Direct too, especially leaving town in the evenings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    To be fair, that used to happen pre Network Direct too, especially leaving town in the evenings.

Except now people closer to the city are relying on the 145 to get them to/from Heuston to make connections. Previously, they were able to do this with the 92 but now they can't. Even if the level of service has remained the same, it's value to existing customers has dropped. I know at least one person who now has to get an earlier commuter train because the 145 no longer brings her to work on time (in Wilton Terrace). She regularly misses her normal train home in the evening because the 145 isn't reliable any more.

Alex has mentioned this countless times. DB are trying to mash together a long haul city route with a feeder bus service and making a mess of both. The 145 is busy leaving Heuston because it's full of people making short hops at the expense of people who want to travel the full length. Then in the evenings, it's unreliable for people making short hops to Heuston because it's a long haul route. Joining together two long haul routes (like the 69 and 27b) might work (although I have my doubts about that too) but not long haul and feeder. More ineptitude from DB.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Reply from DB:

Please be assured that your views will be considered as part of our consultation programme.

Do you believe them???

liger wrote: »
    Do you believe them???

Not in the slightest!!

Worth noting in one`s diary methinks......

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Network-Direct/Network-Direct-Phase-1/

It involves changes to services in Ballyfermot, Ballymun, Clondalkin and the Malahide Road and we would like to invite customers in those areas to meet us to discuss these proposed changes on the following dates:

* Clondalkin – Clondalkin Library, Wednesday February 2nd, 2.00pm - 8.00pm

* Ballymun – Ballymun Civic Centre, Thursday February 3rd, 12.00pm - 6.00pm

* Coolock- Northside Shopping Centre, Friday February 4th, 2.00pm - 8.00pm

Aint no point in givin out when you`re AT the stop for 40 minutes.....get on down and give out to the Men in Tinfoil hats BEFORE they get to throw your switch too !!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Wait a second there....the Malahide changes include a change in Tallaght do they not?.. So where is the Tallaght consultation? Do the users of the 77 not count in this process? If not then DB will have to change their mantra....serving the entire community??...serving who they feel like methinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Wait a second there....the Malahide changes include a change in Tallaght do they not?.. So where is the Tallaght consultation? Do the users of the 77 not count in this process? If not then DB will have to change their mantra....serving the entire community??...serving who they feel like methinks!

Presumably this is something like when the 4 timetable was decimated but there were no public meetings in Phibsboro or Ballymun because DB said it was an N11 change.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I was waiting at Pembroke Rd at 18.25 yesterday for the 38A scheduled to leave Baggot Street at 18.30. 18.30 came and a scheduled 70 and 37 came at that time but no sign of the 38A.

So I decided to take a stroll down to Baggot St to see what the actual setup is down there. In my head it was going to be something like old Hawkins St setup where there was 4 or so buses waiting to pull out and you could pick the one which suited you best. And expecting to see a controller or something who I could ask what happened to my 38A. Is it cancelled, or is it just a bit late and one of those parked buses is shortly about to become the 38A etc?

But its actually a bit of a mess down there, no central controller that I could see, and the various termini of the buses are on different side streets. You are not actually allowed get on at the terminus either, you have to stroll around to the first stop on Baggot Street and wait there to see which buses the system has deigned to throw at you.

Are the 38As disappearing in sub space?
    I've a cousin from England staying with me the last 2 weeks and he travels into town at a different time to me. So between us we have got 16 different 38As in the morning, not one of which has done the the full journey. They all say 'Baggot Street' when we get on, but some discard everyone in Parnell Sq, other O'Connell St, and twice the driver has announced in O'Connell Street the rather wonderful "I'll bring you to College Green but can't go any further" when people have questioned it.

So is it just me being a bit thick then, waiting for a 38A near Baggot St on the way home? - if they aren't travelling over as far as Baggot St in the first place then how the hell are they meant to do the return trip?

markpb wrote: »
    Presumably this is something like when the 4 timetable was decimated but there were no public meetings in Phibsboro or Ballymun because DB said it was an N11 change.

like the 40 change a roadshow in ballyfermot but not finglas originally and the 17a 220 change a roadshow in blanchardstown but none in finglas ballymun or coolock santry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

like the 40 change a roadshow in ballyfermot but not finglas originally and the 17a 220 change a roadshow in blanchardstown but none in finglas ballymun or coolock santry

40D runs from Tyrrelstown but TT residents didn't get a say as the roadshow was held in Finglas :mad: so yet all the changes favour Finglas people ... surprise surprise :rolleyes: (roadshow was held during working hours - so was unable to attend)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

angel01 wrote: »
    40D runs from Tyrrelstown but TT residents didn't get a say as the roadshow was held in Finglas :mad: so yet all the changes favour Finglas people ... surprise surprise :rolleyes: (roadshow was held during working hours - so was unable to attend)

Surely routing the 40D via Mellowes Road and the N2 rather than taking the current routing around Finglas south and west will be an improvement for Tyrellstown residents?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Bazzer2

Similar to North Clondalkin/Neilstown. Ballyfermot gets three city services, while Neilstown gets the runt of the snails-pace 40. Barely two weeks public consultation (announced on the 13th of October, closed on the 31st).

So I decided to take a stroll down to Baggot St to see what the actual setup is down there. In my head it was going to be something like old Hawkins St setup where there was 4 or so buses waiting to pull out and you could pick the one which suited you best. And expecting to see a controller or something who I could ask what happened to my 38A.

But its actually a bit of a mess down there, no central controller that I could see, and the various termini of the buses are on different side streets.

Are the 38As disappearing in sub space?
    I've a cousin from England staying with me the last 2 weeks and he travels into town at a different time to me. So between us we have got 16 different 38As in the morning, not one of which has done the the full journey. They all say 'Baggot Street' when we get on, but some discard everyone in Parnell Sq, other O'Connell St, and twice the driver has announced in O'Connell Street the rather wonderful "I'll bring you to College Green but can't go any further" when people have questioned it.

So is it just me being a bit thick then, waiting for a 38A near Baggot St on the way home? - if they aren't travelling over as far as Baggot St in the first place then how the hell are they meant to do the return trip?

Without being familiar with the 38 route situation in a hands-on manner I`d venture that ArmaniJeans is merely experiencing the exact same issues which the original N11 Corridor customers have being living with since Sept 17th- Lack of sufficient running-time.

This is by far the greatest shortcoming of the Network Direct Teams interpretation of Deloitte`s recommendations and stems from a desire to achieve efficiency gains by getting more journeys out of fewer vehicular and human resources.

The Irish Times journalist Fintan O Toole writing before the inception of Network Direct did pose the question as to just how much "Less is More" could Dublin Bus manage to pass off as an "improvement" before the basic fallacy of the principle became apparent.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/newsfeatures/2010/0424/1224269025738.html

More QBCs will have to be developed. Above all, the idea behind Dublin Bus’s current plans that “less is more” will have to be replaced by a realisation that, in the longer term, more really has to mean more.

Mr O`Toole`s article written back in April 2010 has proven to be somewhat more prescient than much of what has been offered as planning,but as yet we see no real attempt to admit any degree of corporate mea-culpa towards those who questioned the issue to begin with.

It is also worth noting that the other elements of Network Direct involve the automation of much of the control functions formerly carried out by the Stance Inspectors.

The Company for it`s part has withdrawn many of the City Centre Stance Inspectors and instead adopted a hi-tech Central Control facility which when fully operational will utilize this technology to satisfy the various needs of the waiting customer.

However,for the present it has led to the dearth of on-street supervision which ArmaniJeans has experienced.

Whether this has proven to be a sensible decision from a realistic customer-care perspective remains open to conjecture.

The Baggot Street terminus area has also had some degree of difficulty in terms of objections and assorted problems on site which has not helped the situation at all.

it is difficult to avoid the reality that Dublin Bus has been chased all over Dublin City Centre in recent years by a City Council which has a somewhat different appreciation of the spatial requirements of a fleet of 900 large capacity road vehicles than reality demands.

The Baggot Street compromise is just that,somewhere to stable Buses out of sight where they don`t offend the sensitivities of the City`s gentry.

Integrated Public Transport it is not and it`s roots lie far back in dublin`s political administrative past.

I do hope ArmainJeans will get onto NetworkDirect direct so to speak,as this issue is all about customer service,which we were all told was the overriding imperative of Network Direct and Deloitte in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭kthnxbai

That's not necessarily true... whilst I agree with you that Tyrellstown residents had every right to be consulted about the changes, there isn't really any change on the Tyrellstown end of the route

And the changes don't benefit all of Finglas... in fact I will no longer be served by the 40D, or the 220. If I wanted to get to Blanchardstown I used to have 2 options and now don't...

And I agree that the roadshow being held during working hours was absolutely ridiculous... If my memory serves me correctly, some of the previous roadshows for other areas were held at reasonable hours in the evenings...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,394 ✭✭✭Trampas

I walk from ballsbridge to merrion sq the majority of times without been passed out by a bus. this would be around 4pm. that is around 15-20 min walk

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Trampas wrote: »
    I walk from ballsbridge to merrion sq the majority of times without been passed out by a bus. this would be around 4pm. that is around 15-20 min walk
    This does indeed often happen in my experience. And the amount of people packed onto the buses at peak times makes a mockery of the inadequate number of buses serving the Merrion Road route. Not all of the 7's route is a couple of minutes away from a DART station...

The timetables suggest a bus there every 10 minutes roughly at peak times, but I've waited 25 minutes to go northbound on more than a few occasions between 4 and 7pm.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Access from Pearse St was cut off this evening to College Green, sending all buses around onto the Quays from Tara St, then D'Olier St and round to College Green and stopping at the now 66/26/67 stop, 'CW' instead of 'CV'. Some people did not cop a yellow laminated sign on the stop and were left waiting as they turned around from D'Olier St, missing buses. I only copped it through spotting my bus turn off Pearse St in the distance. This note on stop 'CV' about the roadworks blocking access read as follows:

"Route 50, 56A and 77/A will not stop at this stop from 1800 due to roadworks on Wednesday 19th September 2011. Nearest stop, 'CW' on College Street"

Dublin Bus Information strikes again. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

There was a notice about this on the website earlier.

47 was terminating on Hawkins street

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

thomasj wrote: »
    There was a notice about this on the website earlier.

47 was terminating on Hawkins street

Not everyone has internet access in work though. Is it too much to ask DB to use Twitter at all or maybe even set up a mobile version of the website? As part of the review of services.maybe its time to review the most important aspect of the service they provide...timely,accurate and relevant information

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭trellheim

Or alternatively the controller, or who looked like a controller who used to hang out on college green, instead of scratching his nads, could walk around and tell people not to use the stop from time to time

• Advertisement

kthnxbai wrote: »
    That's not necessarily true... whilst I agree with you that Tyrellstown residents had every right to be consulted about the changes, there isn't really any change on the Tyrellstown end of the route

And the changes don't benefit all of Finglas... in fact I will no longer be served by the 40D, or the 220. If I wanted to get to Blanchardstown I used to have 2 options and now don't...

And I agree that the roadshow being held during working hours was absolutely ridiculous... If my memory serves me correctly, some of the previous roadshows for other areas were held at reasonable hours in the evenings...
    the 40d will no longer serve finglas at all all its route through the residential section of finglas has been removed to allow it to use the dual carraigeway instead

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement