Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Neal Asher

• 19-11-2010 1:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭

Anyone read anything of his? Spotted his books in a shop the last day and couldn't generate an opinion at all. His books sound like they might be up my street. Are they pulpy though? Would you class them with the likes of the brilliant Culture series or are they a bit further down the list like some kind of Terry Goodkind ****. Is it worth starting in on Mr. Asher?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I've read a good bit - 8 of his Polity novels and one of his stand-alone series. The Polity novels would remind you of the Culture in the sense that it's a highly advanced technological race (from Earth this time) and many of the books feature AIs with personalities.

Asher wouldn't be as witty as Banks but he's stronger in other areas - he's excellent, for example, at alien ecology. He'll make some very interesting alien life forms backed with fairly plausible evolutions - there's some real nasty critters in there.
    He's also good at action - the books tend to have a good pace and the Polity universe is rougher than the Culture.
    I strongly dislike Goodkind - Asher, to my mind, is much better! His work isn't literature either though and it can veer close to pulp at times. Very enjoyable pulp though.

In terms of what to read, be aware that there's a few strands. The "Agent Cormac" series starts with "Gridlinked" and is a 5-book sequence. There's the Spatteryjay series, which starts with "The Skinner" and is a 3-book sequence. There's a couple of other standalone books set in the universe too.
    Personally I'd recommend the Agent Cormac series which plays out on a big scale and has great soap opera moments, aliens, and plots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

One of my favourite authors, as ixoy say's, its not high brow stuff at all, I'd say its the novel equivalent of a summer blockbuster, and it makes a nice change from harder sci-fi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Sold! :D
    I'll pick up Gridlinked the next day. Looking forward to a good new author. It's always a real pleasure to find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

I've read all his books. I agree with all the comments so far. His books are kind of sub-Culture. The good thing is he pops out a new one every 6 months or so unlike that lazy Banks bastard. ;)
    They can be a bit repetitive though.
    In the introduction to one of his short stories he says that he saw an illustrated book on marine parasites at an impressionable age and this is what his various hideous lifeforms are inspired by.
    If you like this stuff you may also like "Altered Carbon", "Woken Furies" and "Broken Angels" by Richard Morgan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Cheers Johnny. I've read Morgan. Altered Carbon is a brilliant recommendation! His other stuff isn't too bad. I wasn't gone on Black Man but couldn't help liking the ending.
    Unfortunately I didn't like his fantasy work, The Steel Remains. It came off as too whiney for me at the time. I might try it again some time though.

• Advertisement

I put up a ~1 line review on my website/blog of all the books I'd read in the last 6 months, and Neal Asher actually responded, explaining some of the comments I'd made about his novels, I knew I got a website for a reason :)

mcgovern wrote: »
    I put up a ~1 line review on my website/blog of all the books I'd read in the last 6 months, and Neal Asher actually responded, explaining some of the comments I'd made about his novels, I knew I got a website fo r a reason :)
    What's the site then?

I put up a ~1 line review on my website/blog of all the books I'd read in the last 6 months, and Neal Asher actually responded, explaining some of the comments I'd made about his novels, I knew I got a website for a reason :)

That is kewl ;)

ixoy wrote: »
    What's the site then?

It's only got about 3 posts on it (by me) but here it is
    http://stephenmcgovern.ie/?p=57

It's only got about 3 posts on it (by me) but here it is
    http://stephenmcgovern.ie/?p=57
    Still kewl though. Asher is very good at responding to his fans. I know he's done videos on his site where he'll read out e-mails sent to him and answer questions. He seems very down to earth in that sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭margarite

I've read a good bit - 8 of his Polity novels and one of his stand-alone series. The Polity novels would remind you of the Culture in the sense that it's a highly advanced technological race (from Earth this time) and many of the books feature AIs with personalities.

Asher wouldn't be as witty as Banks but he's stronger in other areas - he's excellent, for example, at alien ecology. He'll make some very interesting alien life forms backed with fairly plausible evolutions - there's some real nasty critters in there.
    He's also good at action - the books tend to have a good pace and the Polity universe is rougher than the Culture.
    I strongly dislike Goodkind - Asher, to my mind, is much better! His work isn't literature either though and it can veer close to pulp at times. Very enjoyable pulp though.

In terms of what to read, be aware that there's a few strands. The "Agent Cormac" series starts with "Gridlinked" and is a 5-book sequence. There's the Spatteryjay series, which starts with "The Skinner" and is a 3-book sequence. There's a couple of other standalone books set in the universe too.
    Personally I'd recommend the Agent Cormac series which plays out on a big scale and has great soap opera moments, aliens, and plots.

This sounds like the kind of books I d like, if you do not mind can you recommend where I would start i e the name of the first book that I should read, secondly where can I buy them. thank you.:)

margarite wrote: »
    This sounds like the kind of books I d like, if you do not mind can you recommend where I would start i e the name of the first book that I should read, secondly where can I buy them. thank you.:)
    I'd definitely recommend you start with "Gridlinked". It's the first Polity novel he wrote and the first in a five book sequence and it would give you a good taste of what Asher is like.
    You can find it in most decent sized bookshops. I know Chapters on Parnell Street have it (and may have it cheap too), but it should also be in Hodges Figgis or other stores as well as readily available online.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭margarite

I'd definitely recommend you start with "Gridlinked". It's the first Polity novel he wrote and the first in a five book sequence and it would give you a good taste of what Asher is like.
    You can find it in most decent sized bookshops. I know Chapters on Parnell Street have it (and may have it cheap too), but it should also be in Hodges Figgis or other stores as well as readily available online.
    Thank you for taking the time to answer my query, I really appreciate it.:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I really like Neal Asher's stuff.

Comparing him to Iain M. Banks is probably inevitable as anyone who has read the Culture novels won't be able to overlook the similarities.

I don't think his stuff suffers that badly in comparison, but I guess your mileage may vary. What I admire about the Culture novels is the scope, the vision of the technology etc. Asher focuses on that aspect of things and delivers war-drones and massive alien organisms in gratuitous quantities. Personally I like the focus on more action, less opaque storylines etc. More accessible isn't always a bad thing.

FWIW whereas Banks is a leftie who famously cut up his British passport Asher is further to the right on most issues. His blog is worth following:-

http://theskinner.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Actually jealous of you starting out on Neal Asher, he is absolute sci-fi goodness.

Comparisons to the Culture series are definitely valid, though they do have their differences. Just finished the new Culture novel a few weeks ago and thought it was something of a return to form.

Just got the latest Asher available in Hodges Bodges - "The Technician" - just a few pages in so far.
    The purpose of this post is to point out that our man Asher has so many books in print, many of which have similar premises, that I found it very difficult to tell if I had read them before or not.
    Yes I may be a near-senile old fart but I do think that he or his publisher are going to have to make it clearer on the cover of his books that this is "no. 7 in the Cormac series" or whatever.
    Now back to "The Technician" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

A pet hate as well, number the damn things please! Have to admit was not blown away by The Technician...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I like Asher mainly because his characters are quite well developed, and more specifically Orbus and The Voyage of the Sable Keech are quite nautical in theme and this has a particular appeal.
    I have to laugh at the Theocracy as well, bloody brilliant.
    He has some stuff out on Audiobooks now as well, great for long drives if you get tired of radio
    I have read most of his stuff now and he is getting to be quite prolific, always good instead of waiting years for the next novel to come out.

Advertisement