Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stag destination.. Budapest/Krakow/Tallinn/Bratislava? Opinions please!

Options
  • 08-12-2009 1:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

Organising a stag for April, never been to any of them myself, so looking for some good and bad points tohelp make up our mind please.. Prague would be in there but we've been there a few times together already..
    Cheap to get there, cheap to stay there and cheap to drink there are the main criteria... Of course suggestions on things to do and places to go are gladly welcomed. Thanks in advance!

Am I correct in thinking the following of each...

Tallinn I'm told is a belter of a destination but not cheap to get to

Krakow meant to be a good all rounder

Budapest as above

Bratislava I hear is no longer cheap since the arrival of the mighty euro?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭SQ2

polite bump for any helpful advice, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,293 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

SQ2 wrote: »
    Organising a stag for April, never been to any of them myself, so looking for some good and bad points tohelp make up our mind please.. Prague would be in there but we've been there a few times together already..
    Cheap to get there, cheap to stay there and cheap to drink there are the main criteria... Of course suggestions on things to do and places to go are gladly welcomed. Thanks in advance!

Am I correct in thinking the following of each...

Tallinn I'm told is a belter of a destination but not cheap to get to

Krakow meant to be a good all rounder

Budapest as above

Bratislava I hear is no longer cheap since the arrival of the mighty euro?

You are asking a lot of questions in fairness.
    Cheap to get there is largely dependent on when you book, how flexible you are etc.
    And then you are specifying recent advice only about Bratislava because maybe prices have gone up since joining the Euro.
    And then you specify 4 different cities that you want the information on :)

Anyway.
    I've been 2 two of them.
    Tallinn is very cheap to stay in, drink is cheap. Actually found food fairly expensive in the main square, though a lot of those restaurants tend to be tourist traps anyway. Good city. I travelled there from Helsinki so don't know how pricey it is to get there directly.

Really enjoyed Krakow, definitely cheap to get to with Ryanair if you are flexible. Cheap as chips to eat and drink, great atmosphere as well. At weekends they have a very 'Irish' attitude to their drinking. Hotels v good value as well, would recommend.

Don't know about the other 2, but I'm sure they will have been mnetioned before if you use the search engine on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

been to krakow & budapest. Loved both of them but krakow probably best for a stag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 xaver

We have been to Tallinn with these guys TallinnStag.com and we had great time.
    The city is ready for partying because a lot of Finnish guys used to travel there even before the low costs started to fly - good pubs in old town, even better strip clubs, superb girls.
    Next year we go to Kiev in Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

been to budapest and krakow, budapest is a much bigger city and its bars and clubs are spread out all over the pest area of town. krakow would be a better bet for a stag as the majority of its nightlife and dining options are within easy walking distance of the Grand Square (just happens to be where most of the hotels are located too) so no need for taxis at night like in budapest. btw if you do go to krakow friday and saturday nights, sunday nights are quiet and most places are closed by 12am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭SQ2

Thanks for the bits and pieces guys, every little helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭jamser89

Wouldn't agree that Bratislava has gotten expensive. Well was there during the summer when they had they € and it was possible to get beer for well under € 2. Zlaty Bazant is the local brew and far stronger than what we're used to back home!:cool: How much for flights to Kiev or Estonia??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 xaver

jamser89 wrote: »
    How much for flights to Kiev or Estonia??
    We paid around 150 € for return flights. Hope not to pay more then 200 for the route to Kiev.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭sedantez

Hi, I’m also planning a stag and am trying to decide between Budapest and Bratislava. Alot of people who are going on the stag have been to Budapest before so I’m edging towards Bratislava. It seems to be a beautiful city with plenty to do on a stag. Flights are looking at around €90 and hotels are approx €90 (for 2) per night.

However, I checked out this site which is slightly putting me off;
    http://www.bratislavaguide.com/bratislava-clubs
    Theres a debate going on on this forum. Alot of people saying that you have to be really careful in Bratislava – its rough/they rip you off/they hate tourists etc. Then some people say theres no problem and its all good.

Has anyone been there and would you recommend Bratislava?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I don't think you can get to Tallinn direct from Dublin (and when I looked at it the flight times were crap). Budapest is amazing, but as was said above, it's a biiiig city and everything is well spread out! Krakow I've been to 3 times now and have to say it's an amazing town! Food / Drink is cheap! Hotels are daylight robbery, I stayed in this apartment last time and it cost 220 for 4 of us for 3 nights.. Also, the Jewish part of the town has an unbelieable amount of boozers all nice n handy to go from one to the other. Also as said above, there's piles of em off the main square too.. The Salt Mines are also well worth a look to kill the hangover as well ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement