Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tommie Gorman - Grrrrr

• 28-01-2007 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Am I entirely alone in finding RTE's NI ace reporter Tommie Gorman insufferable?! :mad:

Certainly, I'm a cranky old fool, but the mere sight of him on my screen has me lunging for the remote.

The Groundhog Day nature of NI politics can make them dull enough but he makes them even duller - and only Charlie Bird uses "I" more often in his reports - it's not about YOU Tommie!!!!!

He was even worse when he reported from Europe - and I'm a politics junkie, like. I never learn anything from him that I haven't already read in the papers or heard from the BBC's Denis Murray, it's old hat. Never any insight, nothing!

"What about the children, Roy?" I mean, how did he ever work again after that?

Can you imagine Paxman, voice trembling, asking Beckham: "What about the children of Europe, Becks - have you thought how you leaving for America will affect them?"

I just find him unbearably pompous and self-absorbed. Tommie, not Paxo.

If he must work in television then he should be a regional reporter telling us about pig sales and the like, that's his level. He is so far out of his depth with the heavyweight stuff it's painful.

Ok, that's off my chest. Goodnight Irene.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

The Tommie Gorman National Police has been informed of your views and will soon be knocking on your door for your re-education.

Do not run they can track you down.

This post may be offtopic and pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 XYZ123ABC

The Tommie Gorman National Police has been informed of your views and will soon be knocking on your door for your re-education.

Do not run they can track you down.

All they'll have to do to torture me is force me to listen to one of Tommie's reports. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 screech1

Frankly how dare you make such allegations. Tommie is a very decent man who has i dare say achieved a lot more in his lifetime than you ever will.And yes you do appear to be a very grumpy old man.But in future please keep your ignorant futile veiws to your self:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

I never learn anything from him that I haven't already read in the papers or heard from the BBC's Denis Murray, it's old hat. Never any insight, nothing!

Then why do you watch his reports, you mentioned your remote so just use it. Tommy is a decent reporter whereas you're just an anonymous prat!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Koloman

I gave up on Tommie "what about the children" Gorman after his embarrassing interview with Roy Keane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

screech1 wrote: »
    Frankly how dare you make such allegations. Tommie is a very decent man who has i dare say achieved a lot more in his lifetime than you ever will.And yes you do appear to be a very grumpy old man.But in future please keep your ignorant futile veiws to your self:mad:

whats the latest, Tommie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭santosubito

Sure people are entitled to their viewpoints.
    I, for example, am continually perplexed by why Gorman feels the need to bring himself into the story.
    Why does he keep saying " I understand" or "I have learned"?
    What is the point?
    Jesus, I know when I went to journalism school many, many, moons ago, we were told that we weren't the story, that what we were writing was important, not us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

He lost a lot of credibility after Roy Keane and Sean Quinn interviews. He's not bad though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

tommie is one of the better ones at the national broadcaster , im looking at you plastic sheeting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Awful Scut Mk2

Sure people are entitled to their viewpoints.
    I, for example, am continually perplexed by why Gorman feels the need to bring himself into the story.

Once saw him doing this with information that had earlier been freely given out at a PSNI press conference.

Not a word of a lie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,495 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What about his use of the term 'Londonderry' when referring to Derry?
    RTE have never referred to Derry by it's British manufactured name.
    He is the ONLY RTE person that I have heard using this term. Twat!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

My favourite memory was Brian Dobson in the grounds of Stormont I think it was presenting the news live in the grounds and then interviewing Tommie via Satellite elsewhere in Stormot. They were probably 10 yards away from each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

I find the west of ireland correspondent much much worse...
    just , dull and predicatable beyond belief

InReality wrote: »

Jim Fahy I think his name is. For me the worst correspondent is the Midlands bloke Ciaran Mullooly. His accent is awful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

:eek:Cracker of a first post there compadre, respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

Koloman wrote: »
    Jim Fahy I think his name is. For me the worst correspondent is the Midlands bloke Ciaran Mullooly. His accent is awful!
    "Ciaran MuLOOOley, Athloooohhnn"!

CUCINA wrote: »
    "Ciaran MuLOOOley, Athloooohhnn"!

I think if I heard a conversation between Tommie Gorman (with his incredible whiny voice) and Ciarian Mullooly, then my ears would bleed!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I must say, this annoys me as well. It seems he needs to make out like every report is an exclusive. I understand this isn't the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭the_wabbitt

worked with tommie - total ass

• Registered Users Posts: 33 RAMADAN

InReality wrote: »

Try counting the number of time Paul Reynolds says 'eh' or 'um' in his reports. And those are when he is prepared....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭el diablo

for me the worst correspondent is the Midlands bloke Ciaran Mullooly. His accent is awful!
    I have to agree with this. How did that dude get a job on TV or radio? Definitely the worst accent on Irish radio.... "Ciara Mullooooly, Mullingaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr":mad:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Jim Fahy an alright report. However Ciaran Mullooly was interviewed on Leargas or Scannal and he spoke normally, thats his radio/tv voice, why? :confused:

As for Tommy Gorman, I find him to be quite bias in his report. Their other NI staff are better. IMO.

Elmo wrote: »
    As for Tommy Gorman, I find him to be quite bias in his report. .

I find Tommy Gorman's report's far too over-positive most of the time. Every report he does sounds like some sort of earth-shattering breakthrough is going to happen when in reality it's just normal/boring NI politics.

To listen to him you would think there was a Good Friday Agreement being announced every day of the week!

Every report he does sounds like some sort of earth-shattering breakthrough is going to happen when in reality it's just normal/boring NI politics.

I find that this is the case with most reporter on any service reporting on any subject in particular politics, look at Sean Whelan.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭freevoice

Elmo wrote: »

As for Tommy Gorman, I find him to be quite bias in his report. .

I wish he really would tone down his pro unionist views .He's getting very obvious of late .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭kevin99

Tommie is ok. Mulooley and Fahy are ok.
    What about David Murphy?
    Every report he does begins with the background to the story.
    Needs to deliver in a sharper more authoritive tone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭kevin99

He was even worse when he reported from Europe - and I'm a politics junkie, like. I never learn anything from him that I haven't already read in the papers or heard from the BBC's Denis Murray, it's old hat. Never any insight, nothing!

It is my understanding that Denis Murray is retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭el diablo

David Murphy's OK. Plastic Sheeting and Ciaran Gilhooly have no place on national radio with their strong "regional" accents.

There's also a nerdy, ginger chap that occasionally reports on politics on the RTÉ news (Michael Lehane?) He's bloody awful too.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

freevoice wrote: »
    I wish he really would tone down his pro unionist views .He's getting very obvious of late .

I don't believe that's the case but if it is true then it makes a change from RTE's usual pro Republican sympathies.

• Advertisement

el diablo wrote: »
    David Murphy's OK. Plastic Sheeting and Ciaran Gilhooly have no place on national radio with their strong "regional" accents.

There's also a nerdy, ginger chap that occasionally reports on politics on the RTÉ news (Michael Lehane?) He's bloody awful too.

I have issues with people that don't talk proper and nerdy looking people. :rolleyes: Micheal Lehane presents EuroReport.

David Murphy sounds like a School Boy presenting an Essay to his hot female English Teacher.

I think I said this before on this thread but since its been resurrected Mulooly seems to have a radio/tv voice yet he was on Scannal or some retrospective show on a murder in the Midlands and he had a very expectable voice, its bizzare?

Advertisement