Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Official Opening: Boards.ie Photography exhibition 21 March at 7.30pm

• 18-03-2009 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭

For those of you not following the gargantuan exhibition related threads, this is a heads up to tell you that we open on Saturday evening at 7.30pm at Dublin Camera Centre, Dublin Camera Club, 10 Camden Street, Dublin 2.

You're all more than welcome to drop in if you're in the area - please do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

All the best for it guys, hope it goes well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

Thanks Calina. I actually wasn't sure if I may come as I am not a club member (yet) and not involved in the discussion. Will try to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

xia wrote: »
    Thanks Calina. I actually wasn't sure if I may come as I am not a club member (yet) and not involved in the discussion. Will try to come.

Same here :o If possible I might pop down as well, t be great to see of the work here hanging on the walls!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Hope it all goes well for ye lads..... Probably wont make it cos i have my orals next week.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Cool, will deffo get along to this! :)

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Dont tell anyone else but there might be a glass of vino to be had too.... :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

I'll be there, looking forward to it! I'll be dragging another boardsie with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

curse my stupid brother turning 30 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Hi Bonnie,

yeah, I can do that. You'll have it this evening if that's okay.

I'm going to comment out your email address from public view if you don't mind.

Calina

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

Boo, can't make it on the night I have to be in Cork.

Is there a closing the gallery night?

• Advertisement

If I am not on call for work there will almost certainly be a closing the gallery night. After we've taken down the exhibition.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

best of luck all
    b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Thanks to all involved for putting in such persistent work in making this happen.. Hope it all goes well tomorrow night, will be very keen to hear how it all went.
    I expect a thread detailing the nights events from those of you still coherent enough after all that free vino...
    Unfortunately, I wont be able to attend, work calls and I wouldn't make it up in time. I will definitely be up over the course of the exhibit to see it in all its glory.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

Here's wishing everybody success with the exhibition.

I made a post about it on Shortsights.

How long will the exhibiton run?

Also, is there any way of viewing the slideshow online, please?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The Exhibition is hung now & it does look rather good.

The White Wine is chilling along with some soft drinks.

Should be a good night :D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

It was a good night, great to put names to faces too (not that I'll remember them with my memory :) ). But the star of the show is the pictures, they look truely awesome...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

This went far better than I thought...so good that I've made my own awards.

Couple of the night / Dakar and Mrs (Susan)
    Runner up couple / Morriseeee and Mrs
    Someone even drunker than me / Dakar
    Someone with cruder jokes than me on the night / Dakar
    Dress of the night / Calina
    Never stopped taking pictures on the night / Thonda
    Hippy type person / Pete4130
    Cutey person you want to cuddle / Tricia
    Speech of the night (although it was the only one) / DeVore
    Nun hairstyle of the night / SineadW
    I sat next to the legend / DarrenG

A special mention has to go to Steve for the framing/printing, wow they were excellent and when I start getting mine done I will go to him, the quality really was outstanding.

This next bit is for Pete4130 and only he will get it.

Cattle consume vast amounts of grain in a ratio of 10:1 or higher (i.e. ten pounds of grain to produce just one pound of meat). This is the most expensive, inefficient, wasteful and totally unsustainable method of food production ever devised.
    (Statistics vary, but it takes over 5 times the amount of water to feed a meat eater, compared with that used to feed a vegan.
    To produce just one pound of grain-fed steak requires hundreds of gallons to irrigate the feed crops.
    :p

pics in the next half hour, although I persume Thonda's will take 5 days to up 'cos he took so many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Looking forward to the pics sounds like a great turn out

F75374692255475CA418A855055E1E13-800.jpg

Tricia

B3E05638840544DF87238AA2DF9C9AD8-800.jpg

Muggins

36003C66DAFC4FB9A21975FF699AF641-800.jpg

Thonda taken with ISO of 25600 which I was unaware of the settings after letting others handle the Camera :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

I am really sorry that I didn't make it. I was actually on my way up but we had to turn back. I have explained the full situation to Calina in a PM.

Anyway, one of the main reasons I wanted to be there was to thank the people that have brought the exhibition to fruition. Thanks a million folks.

I'm delighted it went well.

I will do my duty in the coming weeks by manning the exhibit. Just let me know when.:(

• Advertisement

E6198B6358B845B4ACB107B97E3078DC-800.jpg

BB757BF20A2B4DA98402DC820EE9A7B8-800.jpg

His n' her loos at the DCC!

FB9A28AB7E5249FC850DDE21F0FCC3D8-800.jpg

Admiring Dodgykeeper's picture!

AC9683AE306B43BBBB38FB1806EE6580-800.jpg

Ballad type band in the pub we went too

E7225F7F68A2496BB62B243E8074322F-800.jpg

Cabansail

F5AFBCA7511E4FD3903453BAA55110E2-800.jpg

Moi taken by Dakar

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭PaulieC

is this open today? I had fully planned to attend but the drink got the better of me after the rugby :-(

@AR your pic looks great on the wall

cambo_gueno,

it's open Saturdays 11-5.

Happiest moment of my life yesterday - listening to the radio in the car about 10 minutes from the end of the match, Gavin Henson missing a penalty. After that I had to just keep loading livescores from the sports channel on my phone internet.

@AR your pic looks great on the wall

Like I said I couldn't believe how good the printing was and it's the 1st time I've had one of my pictures framed.
    Dakar pointed out your picture to me and that too looked well. :p

Nice pic of Cabansail there, must have been earlier in the night before I talked the ear off him :)

Really nice to meet everyone, hopefully I'll get a chance to tag along to an actual shoot soon and not be in "official mode" (even though it was so relaxed at the event I didnt feel that way at all). It was great to meet Cabansail, Calina, Sinead, Gandie, AnimalRights, Darren, Th0nda and everyone else whose names I didnt get (or more likely cant remember) :). AR makes a bit more sense now having met him :)

As AR says, the pictures are the star of the show, I'll wander down again to have a look and see the pictures for a second time. The prints are crystal clear and all credit to Steve, they looks terrific...

DeV.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Thanks everyone who turned up last night. It was good to meet a lot of people from here.

A Big Thanks to DeVore & Darragh for providing the drinks.

Calina has really put a lot into this & it was nice to finally have the show up. I think a lot of people now realise that a good quality print is a different thing to an image on a screen.

We now need three volunteers to do Gallery Duty next Saturday.

11 - 1 (needs to get keys to open up & get things ready)

1 - 3 (takes over from person 1 & hand over to person 3)

3 - 5 (puts things away & locks up)

We have a sign we put on the street to advertise that the Gallery is open. While the gallery is open there is a book to keep a tally of visitors who attend during the shift. you also try to answer any questions about the exhibition & if there are questions about DCC then refer them to the website or advise them to come to a Tuesday night meeting.

So ..... who is game to give it a go next Saturday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Did anyone take general shots of all the images displayed? A mini-virtual tour?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

It was very nice evening. Pictures are fantastic thanks also to Steve. Great work.
    Pictures will be processed later today due to schedule conflict. I have to roast a lamb first... ;)

Hi guys,

just a few words.

Firstly, for all of you who traipsed in last night, including quite a few whom I haven't met on previous occasions, thanks a million. Really appreciate it. The bottles of wine appreciate it.

To all the photographers who ran with this idea from day one when it was just a flickr group and pixie tag - there were about 60 of you - to those who eventually submitted prints for selection, thanks a million.

I want to thank a bunch of people who helped along the way in big and small ways: namely Fajitas!, Sebzy and CabanSail. They helped with the biggest hurdly at various stages along the way.

We owe a special debt to Dublin Camera Club who have been way more than accommodating between the gallery space and in particular, for protecting me from accusations of favouritism by doing the selection process when we had more photographs than gallery slots.

I want to thank DeV and boards.ie who sponsored the vino and the non-vino last night. I didn't get to have any of it but the apple juice and Coca-Cola rocked. And sorry about the cider. No one told me.

Also got a huge amount of help from Darragh - really appreciate it.

Oh and DeV gave a really nice speech.

Also need to thank trishw78 and ThOnda who did pretty much all the glass collecting and - especially - glass washing when everyone else was going off to Devitts.

Photos of the evening were taken variously by CabanSail, AR, ThOnda and Darragh, at least they had cameras...I know I abused ThOnda's 5D on occasion (some of them should be good).

To the girl in Devitts who almost bought the print that wasn't good enough to hang - it's for a good cause (any money I get will go to the nice people at the RNLI). I hope you enjoyed the night club.

Also need to thank Gavin Henson and Stephen Jones for missing critical penalties, Gavin Henson's I heard on the radio. Stephen Jones I saw on Youtube at some age this morning. It's a pretty big thing for me not to have seen that match and when someone asks me "where you when Ireland won the Grand Slam", with a tear in my eye, I will say "getting ready to open the boards.ie photography exhibition.

One last thanks to Valentia - and he will know why.

CabanSail has given the list of times for which we need volunteers. I know a few of you have said yes, you'd be happy to do this. Can we have a few volunteers for Saturday coming and if there are others of the Saturdays that people can do, let me know and I'll put a table together.

Thanks a million to everyone who helped me in putting this together. It's been worth the ride to see the pictures hanging on the wall yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

@AR I don't remember signing the model release for that photo.

Just home myself (I took the scenic route), well done and congratulations to all involved in organising and producing shots, couldn't believe how well they all looked in print. It was a great night and some great conversations were had after in Devitts.

Advertisement