Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

20 day registration figures

• 21-01-2009 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

Registration figures for the first 20 days attached;

VRT08 20th Jan 09.xls

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Pretty conclusive figures... Eh, I think its fair to say cars aint selling?! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

Kerrrist on a bike. Landrover have been decimated...

From 312 vehicles to just 12....!!!!!

Did they have a new model out this time last year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,279 ✭✭✭positron

Ouch!

UNITS % UNITS % VAR %
    YTD - 20 JAN 09 YTD - 20 JAN 08 Variation
    LANDROVER 12 0.11% 312 0.92% -300 -96.2%
    SAAB 9 0.08% 230 0.68% -221 -96.1%
    PORSCHE 1 0.01% 17 0.05% -16 -94.1%
    CHEVROLET* 40 0.36% 416 1.23% -376 -90.4%
    DAIHATSU* 17 0.15% 140 0.41% -123 -87.9%
    CHRYSLER 9 0.08% 69 0.20% -60 -87.0%
    MINI 39 0.35% 265 0.78% -226 -85.3%
    SUZUKI* 121 1.08% 794 2.35% -673 -84.8%
    MERCEDES 221 1.97% 1391 4.12% -1170 -84.1%
    LEXUS* 46 0.41% 286 0.85% -240 -83.9%
    VOLVO 81 0.72% 472 1.40% -391 -82.8%
    BMW 268 2.39% 1476 4.37% -1208 -81.8%

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Michael thank you for taking the time to post these figures, please continue to post these spreadsheets as you receive them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

BnA wrote: »

At the start of 08? Last updates they had were 07.

Audi Subaru and Jag seem to be doing well for themselves. Althought they aren't selling massive numbers anyway, they are keeping some sort of consistency.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

No last year alot were registered and pre registered pre July to get the cheaper CC based road tax, I'd say thats one reason, I do know that after July last year sales of them completely colapsed. Some of these probably were never sold to customers and are still sitting on the forecourts with 0 miles on an 08. Looks like they will have more of their own Land Rovers on display at the Horse show in the RDS than they will sell here this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

After the 10 day figures we were the proud owners of 20% of all Saabs registered (1 from 5). We are now up to 22.2% after the 20 day figures.

Things are looking worse by the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

1 porche !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

That really makes for sobering reading....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

1 porche !
    1 what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

And one has to wonder how many of those were registered by dealers themselves..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

kbannon wrote: »
    1 what?

1 porsche !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Wont be long now before I see my P45 at this rate. No harvest this year. Should have been a banker :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Wont be long now before I see my P45 at this rate. No harvest this year. Should have been a banker :(

Why would there be such a huge difference in the number of cars sold year on year, did Saab garages pre-register Saabs last year in advance of the VRT changes? That is a shocking decrease in sales :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Shocking figures - worse than I thought. Subaru did well bringing in the diesel!

And Landrover was always going to be on top of the list, wasn't it. This time last year the RR Sport was the most fashionable car out there, now it is about the least fashionable car...

unkel wrote: »
    Shocking figures - worse than I thought. Subaru did well bringing in the diesel!

And Landrover was always going to be on top of the list, wasn't it. This time last year the RR Sport was the most fashionable car out there, now it is about the least fashionable car...

They wouldn't be the top of any list sales wise, being a prestigious brand. Although, they could of sold alot more lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

Good God, that should be front page of the papers. Well done OP for posting and thanks again

Good God, that should be front page of the papers. Well done OP for posting and thanks again

Lol, it's bad enough people thinking the car market is fooked, but them having figures to proove it? All the neighbours would be out laughing:o:p:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

If the SIMI were cheeky enough they'd encourage people to 'invest' their savings in a spanking new car. They may suffer depreciation but it might be safer than money in the bank!:D

The diesels doing a good job for Subaru and the XK is saving Jaguar.

I know the Impreza has been criticised for being too conventional-looking (me included) but this is a real recession-buster for the money (150bhp!) That bonnet scoop is subtley tasty - with slightly bigger wheels and a dark colour could be a bit all right...

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Subaru/Impreza/DIESEL-2/200902191447212/advert

Many Subaru dealers are twinned with Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep marques so Scooby diesels will be the bread-and-butter for the moment I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

pburns wrote: »
    If the SIMI were cheeky enough they'd encourage people to 'invest' their savings in a spanking new car. They may suffer depreciation but it might be safer than money in the bank!:D

The diesels doing a good job for Subaru and the XK is saving Jaguar.

I know the Impreza has been criticised for being too conventional-looking (me included) but this is a real recession-buster for the money (150bhp!) That bonnet scoop is subtley tasty - with slightly bigger wheels and a dark colour could be a bit all right...

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Subaru/Impreza/DIESEL-2/200902191447212/advert

Many Subaru dealers are twinned with Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep marques so Scooby diesels will be the bread-and-butter for the moment I'd say.

Funny thing you mention about Jag there... There's been more XF's sold than XK's this year. Actually, i dont think there have been any XK's sold this year to far. Must check that one out tommorow.

Makes for scary reading alright.

With Saab - its a small wonder they have sold f*ck all this year. We have one on order for a customer, and got a phonecall today to say they didnt have enough cars to put on the boat from the UK, so it will be delayed.

This car is ordered since November!!

Anyhow, in the words of D-Ream - Things can only get better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

They wouldn't be the top of any list sales wise

With top of the list I meant the make that was the biggest loser sales wise ;)

unkel wrote: »
    With top of the list I meant the make that was the biggest loser sales wise ;)

Ahhh:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Why are Saab's being hammered ?

They have nice diesels, are the biofuel units now foul of Gormless, too ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Why are Saab's being hammered ?

They have nice diesels, are the biofuel units now foul of Gormless, too ?

I think Saab are foooked "Saab are a luxury we can no longer afford"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Saab Ed wrote: »

Christ I might be joining you--Look at Volvo :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Funny thing you mention about Jag there... There's been more XF's sold than XK's this year. Actually, i dont think there have been any XK's sold this year to far. Must check that one out tommorow.

Agggh!

I meant the XF of course, not the XK:o...

The latter is quite rare, I've been delighted to see a fair few XFs though. Very impressive in current ecomomic environment and great to see people are looking beyond the usual BMW (yawn...) and Audi (baa!) choices ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

One thing about an XF, they are certainly a different choice to the BMW's and Mercs. And now that they've been reduced in price, they're slightly cheaper than a 5 series and E class (with the same spec).

The oul lad works for Jag, he said there's been alot of interest in that and the X Type since the price reduction.

Mind you, i wouldnt mind seeing a few XK's around either!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Toyota, Ford and VW are the real losers. Not looking too rosy for BMW or Mercedes either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I think Saab are foooked "Saab are a luxury we can no longer afford"

The rumour mill won't be doing Saab sales any good either. What with ailing GM and all that comes with that.

You wouldn't really want to spend 30 -50 k of your hard earned on a make of car that might disappear altogether tomorrow (together with all it's dealers, parts and servicing)

• Advertisement

peasant wrote: »
    The rumour mill won't be doing Saab sales any good either. What with ailing GM and all that comes with that.

You wouldn't really want to spend 30 -50 k of your hard earned on a make of car that might disappear altogether tomorrow (together with all it's dealers, parts and servicing)

Well the rumour mill has killed the old Avensis, so what they did was lowered the prices and bobs your uncle. If i could get an Aero spec 93 for cheap money i'd be happy:pac:

Advertisement