Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

IPTV Provider iBox.ie

• 21-05-2017 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭

This service started some years ago, but things have moved on considerably since then apparently .... prices have dropped and the channels available have increased.

I would like to hear from people using this service today, particularly in relation to

stability of service and streams
    quality of streams ... resolution & bitrate
    what devices it is being used on and if any specific software is required for those devices.

A friend has asked me to find them a suitable service in their temporary accommodation, where it is not feasible to erect an aerial or sat dish, but has reasonable broadband available, and this came to my notice.

Any information appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

I dont have the answers to your questions about quality etc, but I am interested in the mechanics of how they are selling this service.

Have they got the permission of the stations as they are effectively rebroadcasting them ?

ICDG closed a thread on this yesterday maintaining that Vodafone and Eir were the only show in town. I took that at face value and then had a look at the Ibox crowds website.

https://www.ibox.ie/mock/codeofpractice.htm

They have Comreg down as a complaints body. That leads me to believe that they are legit.

I still do not believe they got the UK channels agreement to do what they are doing, ie charge for channels that are FTA on other platforms and in another country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

STB. wrote: »
    I dont have the answers to your questions about quality etc, but I am interested in the mechanics of how they are selling this service.

Have they got the permission of the stations as they are effectively rebroadcasting them ?

ICDG closed a thread on this yesterday maintaining that Vodafone and Eir were the only show in town. I took that at face value and then had a look at the Ibox crowds website.

https://www.ibox.ie/mock/codeofpractice.htm

They have Comreg down as a complaints body. That leads me to believe that they are legit.

I still do not believe they got the UK channels agreement to do what they are doing, ie charge for channels that are FTA on other platforms and in another country.

I checked with ICDG before starting this thread.
    He had no specific problem with iBox.

I also wondered about the same things as yourself ..... but iBox have been in operation since ~2011 and quite openly sell their service, apparently without repercussions, so it certainly seems to be legit.

The basic (10) channels for €3 per month seems like a reasonable 'stop-gap' for people like my friend.
    Of course if the quality etc is not good then something like FilmOn would cost nothing for similar quality on those channels. (I expect FilmOn is also legit).

So, really, for the use case I mentioned, it is a matter whether the quality of the streams warrant a payment to iBox or not.

It may be that RTE are ignoring it as present. The Ondemand plugin on E2 boxes takes the content from RTE's website also and they have been ignoring that in the absence of development for other platforms. I presume the Ibox service is a matrix of satellite boxes connected through their own server which in turn is providing streams.

Filmon is a totally different kettle of fish as the owner is heir to the Coca Cola bottling empire and has lots of money to challenge broadcasters etc, but you may wish to know that filmon no longer provide the service for free even in SD. It has a 2 minute shutdown.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Just to clarify again, I cited Eir and Vodafone as examples of legal IPTV providers but by no means intended to imply that they were the only legal IPTV providers. For example, I didn't mention Now TV or Magnet either.

Just to clarify it was this thread I was talking about.

There must be deleted posts that I am not seeing as it has been closed with a warning.
    ICDG wrote:
    Discussion of any provider who does not hold the relevant carriage agreements for channels is not allowed.

If this becomes a problem the charter will be reviewed and I will consider asking the admins to change the forum title

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

Illegal service

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    Illegal service

Can you provide some background for that opinion please?

The service has existed with an Irish email address since 2011, and is apparently confined to Ireland.

I have read nothing about them being in legal trouble for their service.

It may be that RTE are ignoring it as present. The Ondemand plugin on E2 boxes takes the content from RTE's website also and they have been ignoring that in the absence of development for other platforms. I presume the Ibox service is a matrix of satellite boxes connected through their own server which in turn is providing streams.

Filmon is a totally different kettle of fish as the owner is heir to the Coca Cola bottling empire and has lots of money to challenge broadcasters etc, but you may wish to know that filmon no longer provide the service for free even in SD. It has a 2 minute shutdown.

Thanks ..... I was not aware that FilmOn had gone paid on the SD channels (I have no cause to use them).
    Just to clarify it was this thread I was talking about.

There must be deleted posts that I am not seeing as it has been closed with a warning.

I don't think there were any posts deleted, from what I recall reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They're saving and replaying content for a week, I'd be very very skeptical they have licence to do that, even if they could retransmit legally.

Small enough that nobodys bothered with them. Yet.

ED E wrote: »
    They're saving and replaying content for a week, I'd be very very skeptical they have licence to do that, even if they could retransmit legally.

Small enough that nobodys bothered with them. Yet.

Skeptical I understand ...... but for the moment 'innocent' until otherwise known.

I dunno why but I thought there was no contract with iBox except for a month-by-month prepayment. Apparently not. It seems to be a 12 month contract, which might not suit my friend :(

I am (so far) unable to determine if more than one channel could be received at the same time, which might be a concern.

A positive is that the service can be received using Kodi (although not the 7 day catch up content through Kodi). IPTV-Simple is the plug-in used.

There are aspects of their T&Cs that I would not like such as if a customer decides to move to a different value service it becomes a new contract for 12 months.

Anyway, I would still like to hear from someone who uses this service to get a real-world view of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 jdk01

This service started some years ago, but things have moved on considerably since then apparently .... prices have dropped and the channels available have increased.

I would like to hear from people using this service today, particularly in relation to

what devices it is being used on and if any specific software is required for those devices.

A friend has asked me to find them a suitable service in their temporary accommodation, where it is not feasible to erect an aerial or sat dish, but has reasonable broadband available, and this came to my notice.

Any information appreciated, thanks.

I tried iBox recently. I found the SD bit rate disappointing and subscription process cumbersome. TV Player is better but they recently added geo location to their softwarea. Zattoo is another alternative also gave a better picture. They both have free usage options, so worth trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jdk01

I tried iBox recently. I found the SD bit rate disappointing and subscription process cumbersome.

If you can legally receive, TV Player is better but they recently added geo location to their Software.

Zattoo is another alternative also gave a better picture.

They both have free usage options, so worth trying.

jdk01 wrote: »
    I tried iBox recently. I found the SD bit rate disappointing and subscription process cumbersome.

Were you able to receive more than one concurrent TV channel in the single iBox account? Was it possible to watch TV on two or more devices at the same time?
    If you can legally receive, TV Player is better but they recently added geo location to their Software.

Zattoo is another alternative also gave a better picture.

They both have free usage options, so worth trying.

Unfortunately neither of those are available in Ireland. :(

Thanks for the information and suggestions. ;)
    If you recall anything further about iBox please post again, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭droidman123

I got this today,I went for the 60 channels @ €10 a month.I have been watching it (various channels) for the last 3 hours and am extremely pleased with it.really decent picture and no buffering . Although it's a 12 month contract,you can cancel during any time within that 12 months without penalty.it's SD, but way better than Filmon was before it became subscription
    Footnote~ they don't take the full 12 months payment in one go,they just take it monthly.I paid by PayPal on a preapproved payment plan.

I got this today,I went for the 60 channels @ €10 a month.I have been watching it (various channels) for the last 3 hours and am extremely pleased with it.really decent picture and no buffering . Although it's a 12 month contract,you can cancel during any time within that 12 months without penalty.it's SD, but way better than Filmon was before it became subscription
    Footnote~ they don't take the full 12 months payment in one go,they just take it monthly.I paid by PayPal on a preapproved payment plan.

Thanks for the feedback ..... appreciated ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

You can watch on an android tv box. If you install the app ibox from playstore you can test the stream quality yourself for free. Just choose free sample.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭flutered

what is the min download speed required, as mine is almost zilch, well 6.80mbps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Is AerTV still on the go? I remember trying it ages ago before they started charging for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

I got it for the Irish channels as I have an old sky box for the english freeview channels. I have the App on a Fire TV which is handy. Picture seems to be SD, RTE would be better than TV3. Playback service is handy I suppose, if I was going full IPTV I would probably just go with Eir or Vodafone though they are probably 18 month contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 EndKore

How did ibox supply the sub ? Cause I recently purchased a really cheap mag box and trying to get a good sub on it ?

• Advertisement

I asked iBox a few questions including one about the legality of their service, but got no response.

I do not know if they are just incompetent in failing to reply, or if they are avoiding answering my questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

Can you provide some background for that opinion please?

The service has existed with an Irish email address since 2011, and is apparently confined to Ireland.

I have read nothing about them being in legal trouble for their service.

they don't have agreements with rights holders to re-transmit their IP on their service.

Can you put forward something to corroborate that, please?

I am inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt in the absence of same.

I just saw a video on youtube from this company.

Not alone are they offering live UK and Irish TV services (and from the video there were paid TV sub stations in the list!) but they are also offering catch up services going back a week using backwards ala a Freetime type EPG grid even for the UK stations!

I am even more intrigued, as for the RTE services alone they could get these stations under the must offer rule, but that would mean that Ibox couldnt charge for them.

Also who is storing all the ondemand content, especially the UK based stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 tommyphelan

I tried them out about a year and half ago ..I wasn't happy with it and sent lots of emails to cancel monthly subscription... They never answered and in the end i got my credit card company to block them.. They are still trying to charge my card every month!! Pure scammers in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭mike2084

It's certainly an interesting case, I have checked them out on the CRO website and they are registered at the address given on their website and all returns are up to date. All that accounts stuff looks in order. Of course that doesn't answer the questions here, perhaps it's something for one of the consumer people like Conor Pope to get an answer on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

Has any iBox user had an issue when logging in? I'm getting a message saying: Login OK, but payment problem on account: Unable to Login.

They've no customer service and don't respond to emails, so I've no way to resolve the issue. My account is up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭EnzoScifo

I'd steer clear of this crowd. Signed up with them end of October. they've charged me 32 euro for November and December on the "10 euro a month" package.

Scammers.

We don’t drag up old threads

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement