Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what are you doing to learn Mandarin?

• 16-01-2015 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hey,

Just thought it would be good to share tips of what is out there to learn Mandarin. I am only 3 months into my study and full of enthusiasm. I am mainly interest in speaking/understanding spoken mandarin at this stage and will worry about the characters later. Pinyin will do for now.

Anyway, I found the following useful
    (1)"growing up with Chinese" on youtube (the first few episodes don't have pinyin but then the bring it in)

(2) Chinese-tools.com , Just today I googled a theme we'd studied in class and this has 20 second converstations about the theme, and you can hear it spoken slowly, see the mandarin (in pinyin) and then see it in English

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭carfax

Hey,

Just thought it would be good to share tips of what is out there to learn Mandarin. I am only 3 months into my study and full of enthusiasm. I am mainly interest in speaking/understanding spoken mandarin at this stage and will worry about the characters later. Pinyin will do for now.

Anyway, I found the following useful
    (1)"growing up with Chinese" on youtube (the first few episodes don't have pinyin but then the bring it in)

(2) Chinese-tools.com , Just today I googled a theme we'd studied in class and this has 20 second converstations about the theme, and you can hear it spoken slowly, see the mandarin (in pinyin) and then see it in English

The two websites that benefitted me the most were busuu.com and yoyochinese.com .... Busuu is awesome for learning vocab....Yoyochinese.com for pronunciation and listening as well as grammar.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I started the Michael Thomas programme yesterday while out on my run. Learned quite a bit in 50 minutes.

The verb "to be", a few countries, the different tones, and basic sentence structure.

"I am Chinese, but he is American and she is English. What about you?"

Really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭poncho000

This video introduces a lot of the websites and tools for learning Chinese : http://youtu.be/Ih46habjwzU

Advertisement