Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Planning permission house sale agreed on

• 04-03-2019 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

We went sale agreed on a house a few weeks ago, there was a large extension build on he side of the house that our surveyor asked to make sure correct plans were obtained for same and some other modifications aswel.

I was looking through fingal but could not find anything for the property for any planning application, is this a worry or is some not a available online?

I asked solicitor but he has yet to get the vendor contracts yet so hasn’t done any of this work yet but we want to get cracking on things especially after the surveyor highlighted it to us.

Am I over concerned by not finding the planning permission or is it a worry? It was on boundary wall of neighbours house so planning would have defo been required!

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It should be there.
    The only thing I’ll say is that Fingals search box is quite particular. It might have a coma after the number or it might not.

Best to just search for your street, so for example if the address is 38 Main Street, just search for main and then check through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Thanks for the reply.

Just searching there, found other houses in the area but not our own :( doesn’t look good.

Very worried now!
    kceire wrote: »
    It should be there.
    The only thing I’ll say is that Fingals search box is quite particular. It might have a coma after the number or it might not.

Best to just search for your street, so for example if the address is 38 Main Street, just search for main and then check through them.

bri007 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

Just searching there, found other houses in the area but not our own :( doesn’t look good.

Very worried now!

It may be exempt, then the vendor will provide an Opinion on compliance with the Exempted Development Regulations, or if not, then they may have to go through the Retention Planning process.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Have you any idea when the extension was built?
    How old is the house?

• Advertisement

House was build in the early 70’s and the side extension as far as we know so far was build roughly 10-13 years ago.

Doesn’t appear to be any planning application put through for it from searching on fingal!
    elperello wrote: »
    Have you any idea when the extension was built?
    How old is the house?

Would the retention planning process be a lengthy process? I am just worried the bank will decline it now based on no planning for the large extension.

It may be exempt, then the vendor will provide an Opinion on compliance with the Exempted Development Regulations, or if not, then they may have to go through the Retention Planning process.

House was build in the early 70’s and the side extension as far as we know so far was build roughly 10-13 years ago.

Doesn’t appear to be any planning application put through for it from searching on fingal!

Seller will need to regularise it, it looks like.
    Would the retention planning process be a lengthy process? I am just worried the bank will decline it now based on no planning for the large extension.

Ignoring the time it takes the seller to engage someone to survey, prepare plans and lodge the application, its a 3 month process.

Looks like it should have had PP.
    The vendor will have to apply for retention.
    That probably won't be a major problem.

Thanks for all the replies and advice everyone.

Do you think the bank will still give the mortgage for it once that’s all sorted on the vendors side.

The bank sent their valuation guy last week and they were happy with the house.
    elperello wrote: »
    Looks like it should have had PP.
    The vendor will have to apply for retention.
    That probably won't be a major problem.

• Advertisement

Once everything is regularised the bank should be happy.
    This kind of thing is not at all unusual.
    The main thing is to get the wheels in motion asap.

Thanks for all the replies and advice everyone.

Do you think the bank will still give the mortgage for it once that’s all sorted on the vendors side.

The bank sent their valuation guy last week and they were happy with the house.

Yes, once the survey clarifies the Planning Status then you are good to go.
    Its pretty normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

It should be there.

A coma?!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 technodj

Just wondering how you got on. Im in the Exact same boat now
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

If there is no planning for the extension, the sellers can put in a retention application which will take a few months and cost them. It depends on how big the extension is. If it’s small, they may decline to go retention. They may chance getting your solicitor to put in a qualification on title to your bank saying there is an issue with planning. It’s up to your bank to decide if they will lend.

However even if they approve, the phase “the day you buy is the day you sell” applies. It’s our problem then. You’ll have same problem when selling or remortgaging in future. Just because a bank is okay with it now doesn’t mean they will in future. I’d be insisting they fix it but you do the get the whole attitude with some sellers that they will chance selling to someone else who won’t insist on it to save them the time and money so take it or leave it. Listen to whatever advice your solicitor says on this.

Thanks for the advice.
    Im really caught between a rock and a hard place now as my approval/ offer runs out shortly.
    I doubt the bank will lend if theres a planning issue. Looks like the extension without permission was built at least 20yrs ago

technodj wrote: »
    Just wondering how you got on. Im in the Exact same boat now
    Thanks in advance

Is it possible the extension was exempt?

Im not sure tbh
    How do I go about finding that out.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Im not sure tbh
    Thanks

Your engineer should be able to tell you. The size extension that can be built with no planning has changed several times over the last number of years, so if he/she measured the extension and dated it, they would know.
    We did get a mortgage last year with several planning issues, the bank were happy to let it go through, so it’s not a definite no! But it’s true, you don’t know what it will be like in future, and if selling in future is a possibility, you don’t want to be landed with problems then

Im not sure tbh
    Thanks

Your pre purchase survey will highlight the extension. The vendor then provides a Cert of Exemption or Cert of compliance with Planning Permission.

• Advertisement

Three extensions on the property
    2 of them have planning from the 70s
    The survey report states the extension with no planning is over 12yrs old (70s/80s is my guess)
    And within boundaries
    Il post more info when they get back, but anxious about the purchase is an understatement

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

The survey report states the extension with no planning is over 12yrs old (70s/80s is my guess)
    And within boundaries
    Il post more info when they get back, but anxious about the purchase is an understatement

Is the side extension a garage conversion? They may not have needed planning?

No it appears it was a side entrance converted to a room which is currently being used as a kitchen

Askthe EA wrote: »
    Is the side extension a garage conversion? They may not have needed planning?

The exemptions only covers you if you haven’t extended before. The exempted limits state you have to add the area of the other extensions, even those that have granted planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

And within boundaries

Hi OP, any update on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

jlm29 wrote: »
    Your engineer should be able to tell you. The size extension that can be built with no planning has changed several times over the last number of years, so if he/she measured the extension and dated it, they would know.
    We did get a mortgage last year with several planning issues, the bank were happy to let it go through, so it’s not a definite no! But it’s true, you don’t know what it will be like in future, and if selling in future is a possibility, you don’t want to be landed with problems then

Hi, just wondering what the planning issues were for you, that the bank still okay'ed.
    We are in a bit of a pickle now ourselves. I think we'll have to apply for retention, and I don't know if our buyer will be willing to wait that long. Or the seller of our new house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Hi, just wondering what the planning issues were for you, that the bank still okay'ed.
    We are in a bit of a pickle now ourselves. I think we'll have to apply for retention, and I don't know if our buyer will be willing to wait that long. Or the seller of our new house.

There’s two extensions onto our original house that were built with no planning, and exceeded the size allowed that was exempt from planning at the time. Our septic tank also had no planning. There was a shed built with no planning too, but if I remember rightly, that was within the size allowed at the time

Advertisement