Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to take up a new pastime in Waterford

• 15-02-2005 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi fellow Waterford Boardees..
    I recently had to give up badminton because it was damaging my knee. I was told that other sports wont have the same bad effect so Ive to go looking elsewhere.

The thing is.. Its kinda hard for a twenty something to take up a new sport from complete scratch. I like jogging or running long distances, but other than the badminton Ive never done much other sport or stuff that gets me out of the house for a while.

SO.. Ive a job for ya all.

If you're in a club of any kind in Waterford.. be that sports or otherwise, that accepts complete newbies, any chance you'd let me know the details?

At this stage Im not too worried if its a sports club or not, Its the social side of sports that I really enjoy anyway..

This post might be worthwhile for fellow newbies in other sports so Id be delighted to get info on what kind of club you're in, when / where they meet up, and if they take on new members.

Seen as the God of Knees has deemed my badminton career to be over.. Id be delighted to hear of alternatives!

Thanks a lot for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Nightowls? I really don't know myself what else you could do. unless you fancy trips to Carrow Road every Saturday lol. Volleyball is available in the Presentation Thurs nites but might be damaging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

You could try the Army Reserve..
    Based in the barracks on Green St. Waterford.

All sorts of interesting outdoor stuff and all of the kinds of things you'd see on www.military.ie

Wednesdays 8pm.. The age limit is 17 so you're fine if your in your twenties. Dunno if the knee issue would cause you hassle though. You'd have to pass a medical anyways but if your own doc reckons its just the nature of badminton (which I know full well how hard it can be on your knees) then you shouldnt have a lot of trouble In my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Fonzy

kensutz wrote:
    Nightowls? I really don't know myself what else you could do. unless you fancy trips to Carrow Road every Saturday lol. Volleyball is available in the Presentation Thurs nites but might be damaging.

Nightowls is the soccer league isnt it? Id say Id last 2 matches before being booted out for being useless at soccer! .. Although maybe I could play for Norwich? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

rowing? I think waterpark do it. not sure though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

kano476 wrote:
    rowing? I think waterpark do it. not sure though.

There is a Rowing club just in front of the Marina Hotel beside Canada Sq. I used to row and can def recomend it. Not sure how the knee would hold out its very physical on the legs (and everything else!).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

You could try our brazilian jiu-jitsu classes. It's known as the most effective martial art on the planet.. it's good fun and will keep your in good shape.. It's based around takedowns, chokes and effective holds. Anyone who thinks it's not effective is always welcome to try it out for themself. It's a great crack and helps build confidence in your ability to defend yourself.

If you are interested, go to hapkido.ie for more information on the club or send me a message. We are out in tramore. Everyone out there is very friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Fonzy

Cheers dlofnep, I'll have a think about that one! Im not sure the knee would stand up to a whole lot of throws but I'll definitely stick it on the list of possibles along with rowing and the army reserve.

A friend of mine told me that cycling would be a great way to get active again and strengthen the knee up. Does anyone know about cycling clubs in Waterford?

OR.. Ive seen loads of people jogging together around the Kilbarry area a few nights in the past while. Is that part of an athletics club?? Id be into that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Aye Im a member of the Waterford Rowing Club. I really enjoy it, however it will be very demanding on your knee, and at twenty something it might be hard for you to pick it up as the other twenty somethings seem to have been rowing since their teens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Kyu Who?

dlofnep wrote:
    You could try our brazilian jiu-jitsu classes. It's known as the most effective martial art on the planet.. it's good fun and will keep your in good shape.. It's based around takedowns, chokes and effective holds. Anyone who thinks it's not effective is always welcome to try it out for themself. It's a great crack and helps build confidence in your ability to defend yourself.

If you are interested, go to hapkido.ie for more information on the club or send me a message. We are out in tramore. Everyone out there is very friendly.

hey dlofnep where abouts is ur dojo?...and whats the diff between this and other martial arts such as TKD or shotokan..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

Dogging - newtown in tramore, starts about 11.30 every fri and sat nite
    Buy a copy of fhm if ya need more info, you'll need a car too (suppose ya could try it on a scooter)

• Advertisement

dcarroll wrote:
    Dogging - newtown in tramore, starts about 11.30 every fri and sat nite
    Buy a copy of fhm if ya need more info, you'll need a car too (suppose ya could try it on a scooter)

It'd have to be a spacious car, the lad has a bad knee :D

Heres a question.. Im in a similar boat to Fonzy, Ive never played Gaelic Football in my life, but Id love to start! Im 23.. so Im presuming that very few football clubs would entertain a newby like that.

Can anyone tell me different? Any Waterford GAA heads here to advise me?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Forget rowing anyway, I did it for 9 years for various clubs and had to quit due to the damage it did to me ! Knee problems are a major no-no.

Cycling is a little easier on the knees, if somewhat harder on the lungs. Comeragh are the only club in the city and are primarily a race club, but you could show up for their sunday morning spins at 10am sunday mornings at the bank of Ireland in lisduggan. Distances are reasonable and the pace is ok. I am cycling now myself and a bunch of 3 or 4 of us not affiliated with a club often head out for spins at the weekend too. There a re a few small groups like that. Dungarvan cycling club have a decent leisure element who spin along at handy light speeds, there are quite a few of them based in the city who meet up weekly. I tend to train for leisure events rather than races these days,m stuff like the wicklow 200 etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

make sure you get the signals right for dogging though. :) a lexus would be handy for that.

is the hapkido the one in the prodestant hall in tramore? a few of my friends go to that and they said it was class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Kyu Who? wrote:
    hey dlofnep where abouts is ur dojo?...and whats the diff between this and other martial arts such as TKD or shotokan..

Sorry for the belated response. Our school is out in tramore in the old church grounds. The difference between brazilian jiu-jitsu and other traditional martial arts is that our instructors don't have a holier than thou bowing attitude. Our martial art has been proven time and time again to be the most effective martial art in the world, bar none. Some traditional martial artists may get offended by this because of the time and dedication they put into their respective martial art, but truth be told - there is no other martial art in the world that can surpass it.

Here is a video for your viewing pleasure to show you how effective brazilian or (gracie) jiu-jitsu is against another martial art.

http://www.compfused.com/directlink/652/

If you have any doubts, the contact details are on hapkido.ie - We are more than accomadating to prove it in person. It's a nice friendly enviroment out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

Hey Tae Kwon Do is absolutely bloody brilliant. And you only do as much as your able for. I'm going for brown belt with a wonky hip (A wonky hip at 17!!!!) and a friend of mine is going for black with a kidney disorder! if she gets a hit to her side she could die!! I used to play badminton also but got bored of it and now wouldnt give TKD up for the world!! Theres numerous clubs in waterford but i train in New Ross and some older members would be so welcome cuz the kids wreck our heads! even the trainers who are only 27 and 28. come on down to bargain town!!! WE dont just do TKD we learn self defence and rape defence for the women.

Stick the details into the Clubs and Societies thread above. Hopefully it'll build up and there'll be loads of different options in there.

Advertisement