Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezing Apartment

• 19-11-2019 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

God the apartments in Ireland are ****. There has to be a better way to heat an apartment than ****ty expensive storage heaters.
    Had a look in the attic of out apartment and the insulation is non existent. How did they get a way with it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭handlemaster

CosmicFool wrote: »
    God the apartments in Ireland are ****. There has to be a better way to heat an apartment than ****ty expensive storage heaters.
    Had a look in the attic of out apartment and the insulation is non existent. How did they get a way with it.

Who is they ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Do you own or do you rent? If it's renting contact landlord ASAP. Otherwise find someone who'll do it for you. No amount of feeling sorry for yourself will fix it! Good luck.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Who is they ?

The people who built the apartments. The engineer who signed off on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭ Alaric Enough Potassium

Get some insulation and put it in the attic. Could get solid blocks if you might be removing it later.

Could look at getting infra red heaters too. They heat objects including people instead of air which can be more efficient in some contexts.

Or move to a less sh!t apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I haven't switched the storage heaters on in my apartment in years. They're ****e. Keep meaning to remove them.

At the moment I have one of these mounted on the wall in the bedroom;

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9220922/Trail/searchtext%3EPANEL+HEATER.htm

and one of these in the sitting room

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4151412/Trail/searchtext%3EELECTRIC+STOVE.htm

Has kept us nice and toasty for the last couple of years. Just be mindful using them as they can chew through electricity if you leave them on constantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

Insulate the attic & replace the radiators with better ones?

is_that_so wrote: »
    Do you own or do you rent? If it's renting contact landlord ASAP. Otherwise find someone who'll do it for you. No amount of feeling sorry for yourself will fix it! Good luck.:)

Renting. I don't feel sorry for myself. I just needed to rant. I've mentioned it to the landlord who says to contact the management company who I know will say it's not their problem. Our lease is for one year and isn't up till next summer. Would one be able to terminate the lease and get deposit back due to the place being absolutely freezing.

Get some insulation and put it in the attic. Could get solid blocks if you might be removing it later.

Could look at getting infra red heaters too. They heat objects including people instead of air which can be more efficient in some contexts.

Or move to a less sh!t apartment.

I'm renting the apt. I'll look into those infra red heaters though. Thanks.

o1s1n wrote: »
    I haven't switched the storage heaters on in my apartment in years. They're ****e. Keep meaning to remove them.

At the moment I have one of these mounted on the wall in the bedroom;

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9220922/Trail/searchtext%3EPANEL+HEATER.htm

and one of these in the sitting room

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4151412/Trail/searchtext%3EELECTRIC+STOVE.htm

Has kept us nice and toasty for the last couple of years. Just be mindful using them as they can chew through electricity if you leave them on constantly.

Thanks but don't want to be buying those for an apt I rent.

Renting. I don't feel sorry for myself. I just needed to rant. I've mentioned it to the landlord who says to contact the management company who I know will say it's not their problem. Our lease is for one year and isn't up till next summer. Would one be able to terminate the lease and get deposit back due to the place being absolutely freezing.
    It is actually a management company problem because you don't own the attic, nor does the landlord under leasehold, they do and their upkeep is part of their remit. Get the name of someone in the management company and hound them. In the meantime some cheap heaters might be the way to go.:)

• Advertisement

It is actually a management company problem because you don't own the attic, nor does the landlord under leasehold, they do and their upkeep is part of their remit. Get the name of someone in the management company and hound them. In the meantime some cheap heaters might be the way to go.:)

Thanks. I'll contact them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Thanks. I'll contact them.

Don't waste your time: they aren't going to talk to a tenant.

Instead contact your landlord and ask him/ her to contact them.

Was a BER rating advised when you rented the place?

Personally I've found properly-used storage heaters to be very clost effective, when combined with adequate clothing and a decent duvet. And it's far better than living with the risk of your oil being stolen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

A bit disingenuous of the LL to tell his tenant to contact the Management Company. He is a member of the Mgt Company so he is the one who really needs to contact them.

That said, if you can access the roof space yourself, you should consider insulating the attic space yourself; it's not too expensive and you could ask the LL to offset it against your rent. Or ask him to do it.

For me terminating your lease over this issue would be the nuclear option!

Personally I've found properly-used storage heaters to be very clost effective, when combined with adequate clothing and a decent duvet.

Yep, they're grand. But you'd need a night rate electricity meter to reduce running costs, which, in a rented property might be a problem.

But the first thing to do is to install adequate roof cavity insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Doop

The people who built the apartments. The engineer who signed off on it.

Whats the age of the block? It was most likely built to the regs at the time, also again depending on the age of the block it was most likely a case of 'self certification'. I would hazard a guess your laying blame in the wrong places.

The by far easiest thing to do is just put down additional insulation in the attic yourself, You wont get anywhere with the mgmt company, nor the landlord by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

With respect, an OMC won't take instruction from a tenant. They'd need to hear it via the landlord. Your LL probably knows this and is just fobbing you off.

The OMC will only act if a significant proportion of their members (the owners) ask for something. Then if the spend is outside their budget they would probably only seek to include it in next years budget if the members voted on the matter at the AGM.

If you want to stay long term, possibly the best thing to do is try to make friends with owner occupier neighbours and plant the seed about better insulation reducing everyones bills. Get the item on the OMCs agenda.
    Nothing will happen quickly, thats for sure.

SozBbz wrote: »
    With respect, an OMC won't take instruction from a tenant. They'd need to hear it via the landlord. Your LL probably knows this and is just fobbing you off.

The OMC will only act if a significant proportion of their members (the owners) ask for something. Then if the spend is outside their budget they would probably only seek to include it in next years budget if the members voted on the matter at the AGM.

If you want to stay long term, possibly the best thing to do is try to make friends with owner occupier neighbours and plant the seed about better insulation reducing everyones bills. Get the item on the OMCs agenda.
    Nothing will happen quickly, thats for sure.
    They are responsible for it, whether they fob it off on someone else or use some nonsense about cost. We have dealt with this without drama. I guess we just run a good ship!

I don't see why I should have to fork out money for a place I'm only renting. I'm not paying to have the attic insulated. I will contact the landlord and management company and see what they'll do. I'm not going chasing them either. If they won't do anything then I'll be moving to probably a slightly better insulated apt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

They gave a brown envelope to the local councillor or TD or both who in turn ensured that a blind eye was turned to the ****e standard the apartments were built thus maximising profit for their Galway Tent buddies.
    Simple really. ;)

I don't see why I should have to fork out money for a place I'm only renting. I'm not paying to have the attic insulated. I will contact the landlord and management company and see what they'll do. I'm not going chasing them either. If they won't do anything then I'll be moving to probably a slightly better insulated apt.
    You're shelling out to heat your poorly insulated apartment right now though.

• Advertisement

You're shelling out to heat your poorly insulated apartment right now though.

So I should just suck it up then and pay out thousands for insulation for the landlord? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,833 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

What a pisstake. What kind of priCk landlord would knowingly let someone live in their place with no roof insulation?!

Best to get it sprayfoamed. If you did it yourself op, would be few hundred not into thousands , but that’s not the point really ...

Your call. I genuinely couldn't give a damn what you do. Although I'll call around and help you pack, if you like.

171170 wrote: »
    Your call. I genuinely couldn't give a damn what you do. Although I'll call around and help you pack, if you like.

I just don't understand people like you.:confused:

Doop wrote: »
    Whats the age of the block? It was most likely built to the regs at the time, also again depending on the age of the block it was most likely a case of 'self certification'. I would hazard a guess your laying blame in the wrong places.

The by far easiest thing to do is just put down additional insulation in the attic yourself, You wont get anywhere with the mgmt company, nor the landlord by the sounds of it.

I'm not sure but I reckon the 90s. The apt is in serious need of renovating but it was cheaper than other apt around the place and very close to work so didn't really mind. I'm now understanding why it was cheaper than other places. Lesson learned I guess.

So I should just suck it up then and pay out thousands for insulation for the landlord? :confused::confused:
    I'd avoid spending thousands on it personally.

There really should be a regulation on having minimum standards of insulation on rental properties. They've decided I have to bring my house up to b2 if I extend by 33% or more. Rents are crazy these days so you should expect some reasonable basic standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

I'm not sure but I reckon the 90s. The apt is in serious need of renovating but it was cheaper than other apt around the place and very close to work so didn't really mind. I'm now understanding why it was cheaper than other places. Lesson learned I guess.

Heres your answer.

Property only has to conform to the standard at time of its construction and insulation wasnt such a hot topic back in the 90's.

The LL has probably priced in high heating costs. You could pay more elsewhere and have lower bills but its probably net the same.

Talk to your LL and see if you can terminate early without penalty if you want to move. In the current market conditions they might let you or only charge a small penalty. Negotiate.

By no means should you make changes (even if they'd actually be improvements) to a rented property. Its not yours to touch, and its probably not the LL's either. Roof space tends to be the charge of the OMC and considered a common area. Interfere with that at your peril.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Doop

Well its a work around really and the only way it will ever get done... at any sort of reasonable time frame..at cost of couple of hundred for comfort ..I know what i'd be doing..

Anyway you've answered yourself a few times on the thread... if you aren't happy.. move...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Does the storage heater heat your apartment when it's on, or do you refuse to turn it on because it's too expensive?

I'd say move out and find a better built apartment.

I know each apartment is meant to be self-contained, but in the past I lived in a top floor of an apartment building and the heat from the apartments below and to the sides kept me nice and toasty.
    If your neighbours leave the heat off to save money, heat will be escaping from your apartment from all directions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Idbatterim wrote: »
    What a pisstake. What kind of priCk landlord would knowingly let someone live in their place with no roof insulation?!

Best to get it sprayfoamed. If you did it yourself op, would be few hundred not into thousands , but that’s not the point really ...

Do not do this OP, without the landlords consent and permission from the Management Company.

The property was built in the 90’s. A time when 50mm aero board went under concrete slabs. Now a days it’s 125-150mm.
    Regulations change and improve.

The same people giving out about these crap regs are the same people giving out that force new builds to comply with the much higher current regs. Can’t win.

Advertisement