Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rebuilding Ireland home loan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Evenstevens

Does anyone know if for example you were approved for say 200k but you found you only actually needed 180K are you obliged to take the full amount from the council or can you just take what's needed?

Also, if you are approved for this based on salary and you buy a house and then change jobs down the line and your salary is over the threshold is that an issue or is it more about what your salary is at the time of application?

Thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Does anyone know if for example you were approved for say 200k but you found you only actually needed 180K are you obliged to take the full amount from the council or can you just take what's needed?

Also, if you are approved for this based on salary and you buy a house and then change jobs down the line and your salary is over the threshold is that an issue or is it more about what your salary is at the time of application?

Thanks

You only take what's needed (up to 90% of the purchase price), you'll be under no pressure to take out more than that.

As for the second one - It seems to depend a bit on which council you go to. Some don't ask for any further income details after approval - they wouldn't even find out you had changed jobs. Some do ask for up to date payslips at the time of draw down, but I don't know what the consequences are if you have changed jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Lee3b

Yeah well we were told we would have an answer in August . Every week there was an excuse . Just keep onto them i was their nightmare I rang every second day and checked was there a meeting . It did give us time to save for furniture but it was a loooong wait . When is there next meeting did she say

• Registered Users Posts: 19 SPurple

Lee3b wrote: »
    Yeah well we were told we would have an answer in August . Every week there was an excuse . Just keep onto them i was their nightmare I rang every second day and checked was there a meeting . It did give us time to save for furniture but it was a loooong wait . When is there next meeting did she say

So good to hear somebody actually got approval! I am waiting since June with KCC. Phoning every Friday and now every couple of days with constantly changing excuses about lack of staff or a question on my application. I was told I'd be dealt with last week for definite and still no word.

Have you received your letter of confirmation by post?

Hi yes it did come in the post Friday morning ... the only thing is I did get to the stage where ei left voicemails all the time and never got a reply that I get one weekday off work a week and I kept calling in they lost a lot of my paper work on me and they knew they lost it but never rang us to say only I kept going in to find out what was wrong ... they are so understaffed there is only. 3 people in off looking after the whole thing and it's really hard because they are all really nice its so hard when you are so angry at how long it's taking.... if i wer you when you get through again ask for their email it means u have it all in writing and seems to be quicker as they haveto reply

• Advertisement

Hi yes it did come in the post Friday morning ... the only thing is I did get to the stage where ei left voicemails all the time and never got a reply that I get one weekday off work a week and I kept calling in they lost a lot of my paper work on me and they knew they lost it but never rang us to say only I kept going in to find out what was wrong ... they are so understaffed there is only. 3 people in off looking after the whole thing and it's really hard because they are all really nice its so hard when you are so angry at how long it's taking.... if i wer you when you get through again ask for their email it means u have it all in writing and seems to be quicker as they haveto reply

Thanks so much for the advice. I really appreciate that. Fingers and toes crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 millieb

Has anyone appealed the decision and how long was it before you got a reply from them thanks

No problem at all anything else just ask beat of luck I know how stressful it is especialmy after being given this glimmer of hope we never would have gotten of a bank

You only take what's needed (up to 90% of the purchase price), you'll be under no pressure to take out more than that.

As for the second one - It seems to depend a bit on which council you go to. Some don't ask for any further income details after approval - they wouldn't even find out you had changed jobs. Some do ask for up to date payslips at the time of draw down, but I don't know what the consequences are if you have changed jobs

Thanks for that. I'm going to assume on the second one that you could change jobs. I would think it's unlikely that everyone who gets approved is going to stay in the same job forever esp these days.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Thanks for that. I'm going to assume on the second one that you could change jobs. I would think it's unlikely that everyone who gets approved is going to stay in the same job forever esp these days.

Sorry I misread your question, I thought you meant change jobs prior to drawdown. Definitely no consequences of changing job after you've actually bought the house. All the better for the lender if you are on a higher income then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 RosyRose

We got our Form 1 on Friday as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

Is this stopping in the new year or is it due to continue for a few years does anyone know?

Is this stopping in the new year or is it due to continue for a few years does anyone know?

Will be back next year, and likely the year after although possibly at different interest rates.

Brilliant .. do you know where to go from here or how long it takes to get final approval ?? Hope you got what you wanted and can start moving on your house

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Jellapino15

Can I ask that this form 1 is people talk of? I only got a two sided letter of approval in June stating amount and conditions (taking out the mpi and solicitor etc) and then a form attached to fill in and send back with details of the property once found?

Some people seem to be mentioning lots of forms on here though, worried I was left short something

Can I ask that this form 1 is people talk of? I only got a two sided letter of approval in June stating amount and conditions (taking out the mpi and solicitor etc) and then a form attached to fill in and send back with details of the property once found?

Some people seem to be mentioning lots of forms on here though, worried I was left short something

Not necessarily - some Councils do not have a Form 1, Councils do not use all the same paperwork.

Looking to apply in for the laois area!
    Do we physically bring the forms into the laois county council offices?

Looking to apply in for the laois area!
    Do we physically bring the forms into the laois county council offices?

Can't speak for Laois specifically, but I can't see why you couldn't just post them in. For specific queries like that, you'd be better off giving them a ring and asking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Cazzums

Tazzie2011 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with Kildare County Council?

I got approved with Kildare and bought my house last month. It’s a long process but had no issues with them!

Cazzums wrote: »
    I got approved with Kildare and bought my house last month. It’s a long process but had no issues with them!

Can I ask how long it took for you to get approval with them?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 RosyRose

Brilliant .. do you know where to go from here or how long it takes to get final approval ?? Hope you got what you wanted and can start moving on your house

I am trying to ring them since yesterday, but I am only reaching the voice mail. My form was just to confirm that we are accepting T&c’s, something that we already have done actually in September...

If they think to post each form separately, this will take months again.

They are not replying on my emails too. It’s still so frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Dave087

Hi all,
    I’m new to this thread. Myself and my partner are in the process of applying for this scheme.. Does anybody know if an outstanding car loan of 7k would affect are chances of availing of this scheme? We’re both working full time and our under the combined threshold of 75k and have the required deposit needed I’m just curious to know if the outstanding car loan would be a huge no no when applying. Appreciate any feedback, thanks

Would you not pay off the car loan with some of that deposit instead of having the interest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

[/U]
    Dave087 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I’m new to this thread. Myself and my partner are in the process of applying for this scheme.. Does anybody know if an outstanding car loan of 7k would affect are chances of availing of this scheme? We’re both working full time and our under the combined threshold of 75k and have the required deposit needed I’m just curious to know if the outstanding car loan would be a huge no no when applying. Appreciate any feedback, thanks

In short....yes

I dont know if you saw This crowded house last week, a similar loan made a difference of 50k :eek:

Would you not pay off the car loan with some of that deposit instead of having the interest

Cannot do that unfortunately as we only have the minimum 10% deposit currently and anything on top of that is obviously being kept for stamp duty, legal fees etc. the loan is not a problem in my opinion as it’s quite affordable I’m just curious to know if the council would be hesitant about the outstanding loan?

[/U]

In short....yes

I dont know if you saw This crowded house last week, a similar loan made a difference of 50k :eek:

Ok, thanks for the reply. I guess we’ll have to consider clearing the loan in full before applying.

Dave087 wrote: »
    Cannot do that unfortunately as we only have the minimum 10% deposit currently and anything on top of that is obviously being kept for stamp duty, legal fees etc. the loan is not a problem in my opinion as it’s quite affordable I’m just curious to know if the council would be hesitant about the outstanding loan?

Not necessarily - the main effect it'll have is on your borrowing capacity. See how much of a difference the monthly repayments make on the calculator on the RIHL site

Can I ask how long it took for you to get approval with them?
    Thanks

I am waiting 18 weeks so far with KCC. Was told I will be in the next credit committee meeting this week but have been told that the last 4 weeks and they can't get through the volume of applications. It's so frustrating but there seems to be such a back log!

Hi thought I could help out a little i do have a loan out with cu it did affect our borrowing capacity but I couldn't clear it on this side of buying . It depends how much you are looking to borrow if ya wanna know more pm me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭raheny red

We got out letter of offer today :-) - "just" need to get over the probate hurdle now....

Advertisement