Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Bertie1986

Hi all,

Perhaps this is a silly question but are the examiners for Property, Criminal, Equity and Contract the same as in 2013 or have there been any changes?

Thanks a mil.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Moderator: The name of this thread is "FE1 Exam Thread II [**No Advertising**] Mod note post #1205". There are two warnings contained therein: 1. No advertising and 2. you must read the Mod warning in post #1205, which is linked in the OP.

Too many people are openly ignoring these warnings. I said in post #1205 that it would be the final warning before the For sale facilities would be completely withdrawn. I am prepared to give another chance since this rule is mostly broken by new users. However, THIS IS THE FINAL WARNING.

I have quoted the last warning below. I reiterate that we are simply not equipped to deal with the volume of posts in this forum together with settling disputes because people don't follow the simple rules set out in the charter.

Moderator: due to a recurrence of issues around the swapping of notes/grids/manuals and other FE1 exam-related materials we will no longer facilitate this practice in this thread.

From today onwards, any exchange of materials must be done through the FE1 manuals, nutshells, papers and notes for sale thread and will be subject to the rules set out in the OP thereof.

Unfortunately, this is not up for debate. Ordinary moderators on this site are not equipped to deal with contractual disputes between users and, as a result, we will be insisting that swaps take place via adverts.ie.

Until further notice, failure to comply with this warning will result in an instant 3-day ban. We are reserving our position in relation to increasing that period if this warning is ignored/flouted.

Moderator: This is a final warning.

The next time anyone attempts to buy/sell/swap using this thread, I will totally remove the trading facilities we offer.

As I have said before, we are simply not equipped to deal with any disputes between users when things inevitably go wrong because you skipped that chapter in contract law.

I have also updated the OP linking this warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Legal125

So anyone else looking for April 2014 reports. I rang the law society numerous times and today I was told they are waiting on one report. Quote unquote the girl I spoke to from the law society 'it is nothing to do with us, an examiner still hasn't given us a report' and hangs up. Wow. Just wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Padjo1

Hi,

Can anyone tell me the eight topics that appeared on the April 2014 sitting, far as I can remember it was a mixed bag with the likes of Res Ipsa Loquitur and Limitations of Actions appearing as two stand alone questions much obliged

Many thanks,

Padjo1

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Fionaxoxox

I am planning to sit Company at the end of September and I have managed to get my hands on the Student Edition of the Companies Acts but it is the 2009 edition. Does anyone know if the Law Society will allow me to use the older edition? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 TMJK

Can anyone help- what the he'll was Q3 in April's EU exam about? (The problem Q re wind turbines). Was it about DE or MS liability?? I can't get my head around it :(

Also re Contract Law: does anyone have a list of the topics / Qs that came up in the last sitting in April? I would be v v grateful!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MissM89

Anyone else think that the Tort Examiners Report - and the tort exam in general - is a pure joke!! No consistency whatsoever in terms of topics, with a questions capable of having up to 5/6 topics in it. As for the report, it dosnt even outline the issues that should be covered!!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Lawstudent007

Can anyone tell me what they're covering for Constitution please?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Daryl Strawberry

Does anyone reckon that Ultra Vires will be less likely to appear seeing as the Companies Bill is going to do away with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Does anyone reckon that Ultra Vires will be less likely to appear seeing as the Companies Bill is going to do away with it?

Yeah, I would guess it's unlikely to appear for this reason but then again it was on both 2013 papers and April 2014 also.

Might chance leaving it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Midlecat

What are people covering for company?

C. Personality
    UV
    Director duties
    Restriction
    Share transfer
    Minority protection
    Corporate borrowings
    Liquidation

That cover me....

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Midlecat

What are people covering for company?

C. Personality
    UV
    Director duties
    Restriction
    Share transfer
    Minority protection
    Corporate borrowings
    Liquidation

That cover me....

• Registered Users Posts: 14 MJW5

Does anyone know what specifically came up in the contract April 2014 paper - As in what part of damages or exclusion etc.

Just having a look through some Property Papers and Exam reports.

I noticed a reference to the Land & Conveyancing Law Reform Act 2013. I'm working from a 2012/2013 manual and didn't realise there was such an Act!

Just wondering if this is relevant for the exam / did it enact anything notable?

Also, I'm really trying to cut things down as still making notes. Would this be cutting it too fine?

-Succession
    -AP
    -Family Home Protection
    -Easements
    -Finding/Treasure Trove

I don't have the 2014 papers so not sure what came up on these.
    Thanks a mil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Hi. I paid for four autumn FE1s 3 weeks ago, with the intention of having almost two months full time study ahead of me. But I just haven't got off the mark. Now it looks like I'm only gonna have three weeks to prepare for them. I don't feel that it's enough time, notwithstanding the fact that I'm a recent graduate. Will the Law Society allow me to switch my payment and do them in the spring instead, or is it set in stone as soon as they receive payment?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Padjo1

Hi Right Turn Clyde,

Just read your post, you probably, already know this but thought I mentioned it in case you didn't. Their policy on refunds is printed out on the application forms you can see it on the website. they say you CANNOT transfer the fees for one sitting to another. however, there are two exceptions Medical grounds which would require the old doctors note or Compassionate grounds which I'm not sure how they check the validity of.

I take it, that its your first time sitting considering your a recent graduate. it looks like your not going to be able to transfer money to next sitting so your stuck with this upcoming one. so don't waste the money get in there and have a bash, it will be well worth it for EXPERIENCE alone. you will get experience of your surroundings, format, pressure and most importantly time management for 5/8 questions instead of 4/8.

Listen dont give up on this sitting either saying you only have three weeks. I have read a lot of people ask the question will I have enough time, stop thinking about have I got enough because your losing more time by contemplating the issue just get the head down and just see what happens if you get them brilliant if not you have gained experience to take to spring sitting

If you find that you are to far behind because of the time, then hey pick 6,7,8 topics to study for each exam. GRANTED you need a lot of luck for 5 topics to appear from 8 but at least importantly your giving yourself a chance of passing, yes it may be slim but at least it is a chance, one you will not get if you withdraw.

Best of Luck

Padjo1

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Eveline14

Can anyone post a list of the cases that came up in Q4 in the March 2014 EU paper please? Can't seem to find my copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭vickyplumx

For property.
    Ownership and treasure trove
    Coownership
    Adverse possession
    Mortgages
    Family property
    Covenants
    Succession

Am I covered ? What are others doing ?
    Thanks

I'm thinking of doing
    Succession
    AP
    Family Property
    Estoppel
    Finding/Treasure Trove
    Co-ownership.

I'm not sure if Covenants come up very much. They haven't historically but I don't have 2013 or 2014 papers so not sure what has come up in these since the examiner was changed.

Would anyone be able to list the topics that appeared in 2013/2014?

vickyplumx wrote: »
    For property.
    Coownership
    Adverse possession
    Mortgages
    Family property
    Covenants
    Succession

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭vickyplumx

dashdoll wrote: »
    I'm thinking of doing
    Succession
    AP
    Family Property
    Estoppel
    Finding/Treasure Trove
    Co-ownership.

I'm not sure if Covenants come up very much. They haven't historically but I don't have 2013 or 2014 papers so not sure what has come up in these since the examiner was changed.

Would anyone be able to list the topics that appeared in 2013/2014?

Thanks! Am I right in assuming you'd get 2 grand questions on succession?
    Also how long does it take to get exam papers from the law society?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Padjo1 wrote: »
    Hi Right Turn Clyde,

Just read your post, you probably, already know this but thought I mentioned it in case you didn't. Their policy on refunds is printed out on the application forms you can see it on the website. they say you CANNOT transfer the fees for one sitting to another. however, there are two exceptions Medical grounds which would require the old doctors note or Compassionate grounds which I'm not sure how they check the validity of.

I take it, that its your first time sitting considering your a recent graduate. it looks like your not going to be able to transfer money to next sitting so your stuck with this upcoming one. so don't waste the money get in there and have a bash, it will be well worth it for EXPERIENCE alone. you will get experience of your surroundings, format, pressure and most importantly time management for 5/8 questions instead of 4/8.

Listen dont give up on this sitting either saying you only have three weeks. I have read a lot of people ask the question will I have enough time, stop thinking about have I got enough because your losing more time by contemplating the issue just get the head down and just see what happens if you get them brilliant if not you have gained experience to take to spring sitting

If you find that you are to far behind because of the time, then hey pick 6,7,8 topics to study for each exam. GRANTED you need a lot of luck for 5 topics to appear from 8 but at least importantly your giving yourself a chance of passing, yes it may be slim but at least it is a chance, one you will not get if you withdraw.

Best of Luck

Padjo1

Hi Padjo. Sorry about the delay, and thanks for the words of advice. You're absolutely right. I'll give them my best shot with the time that I have left. The worst that will happen is that I'll realise exactly what preparation I need for the next sitting. These exams sound like a long and arduous process, so the sooner I roll my sleeves up the better. Thanks again.

Thanks! Am I right in assuming you'd get 2 grand questions on succession?
    Also how long does it take to get exam papers from the law society?

Yeah, always 2 qs on Succession.

Not sure how long exam papers would take to arrive I'm afraid!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 MJW5

What are top topics people are covering for contract and constitutional?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 add727

For property.
    Coownership
    Adverse possession
    Mortgages
    Family property
    Covenants
    Succession

Thanks

Exactly what I'm doing, no more!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Glinda!

Examiners Report finally available for April 2014 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Legal125

Glinda! wrote: »
    Examiners Report finally available for April 2014 :eek:

I got awfully excited earlier when I discovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Is anybody here doing company law with one of the prep colleges? What has been said re the companies bill.....am I right in saying it's still not in force?

S12b wrote: »
    Is anybody here doing company law with one of the prep colleges? What has been said re the companies bill.....am I right in saying it's still not in force?

Yep, hasn't been enacted yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

dashdoll wrote: »
    Yep, hasn't been enacted yet.

Thanks, have the lecturers discussed how the bill should be approached for the exam? It kind of looms over quite a few areas of the exam. My thoughts would be to state and apply the law in it's current form and maybe include a paragraph on the proposed changes.....would that seem about right??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭CRM1

Anyone have a list of the most up to date cases for Constitutional Law??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement