Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hotel website "amoma.com" legit?

Options
  • 13-02-2014 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Has anyone had any experience of using the travel site amoma.com to book hotels?

I came across it through travigo and the hotel I’m looking at is about 20% cheaper than all the rest of the travel sites so I’m wondering if it’s legit.

I can’t find any mention on boards about it and a google doesn’t reveal much either so I’m a bit wary. Anyone use it before? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,363 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Never heard of it, but use your credit card to book and if it doesn't work out you can claim the money back through insurance.

Just email the hotel directly about a week after booking and check that your booking is in their system.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

omega666 wrote: »
    Has anyone had any experience of using the travel site amoma.com to book hotels?

I came across it through travigo and the hotel I’m looking at is about 20% cheaper than all the rest of the travel sites so I’m wondering if it’s legit.

I can’t find any mention on boards about it and a google doesn’t reveal much either so I’m a bit wary. Anyone use it before? Thanks

This is the first I have heard of this site tbh. They say their office is in Geneva, Switzerland and to make contact then you have to use the internal site messaging system. I've never had the fastest responses from that way-of-contact on other sites I know are legit.

You could put a query or two their way through their site and see what returns, before you part with your monies and make a booking <- If you'd find that reassuring :)

They could well be okay.
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Hoppy90

Was there any luck with this website for anybody? I find it significantly cheaper as well, however, the hotel I'm looking at has been refurbished in the last few months. The amoma website uses the old pictures when you proceed to book. Also, I've noticed the prices fluctuating slightly by a euro and the rooms saying '1 left', only the next day it says '3 left'. I'm not sure this is suspicious or not but it would be great if this as legit due to the prices they offer!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

Hoppy90 wrote: »
    Was there any luck with this website for anybody? I find it significantly cheaper as well, however, the hotel I'm looking at has been refurbished in the last few months. The amoma website uses the old pictures when you proceed to book. Also, I've noticed the prices fluctuating slightly by a euro and the rooms saying '1 left', only the next day it says '3 left'. I'm not sure this is suspicious or not but it would be great if this as legit due to the prices they offer!

Due to the lack of info i could find about the site I didn't end up using it.
    But as others said they may well be legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Hoppy90

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g187768-i20-k7212170-Anyone_heard_of_AMOMA_COM-Italy.html

I think I will just go with a reputable source after all. Better safe than sorry for 50 quid or so. I did find the above when searching though so will keep an eye on how things develop. You would think that Trivago would ensure they are a reputable agency when allowing them to advertise though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Just an update on this site, i booked with them a few weeks ago and i've confirmed with the hotel that they've received the booking. Their communication is poor over email, but i found them reasonably good when i called them to add a loyalty number to my booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 New dawn

I booked a hotel in a hurry there recently. On being transferred to their website from Trivago, the dates changed so I ended up paying for the wrong night. I emailed them and they responded immediately requesting a further balance to change the booking. The balance they requested exceeded the hotels own price and the cancellation fee from Amoma. I emailed them back to complain about this. - No response. Then I tried to log on to cancel my booking - which would cost me €10 if I did it that day. The website came up with an error message when I tried to access my account. Again I emailed them - no response. I emailed them to ask that they confirm receipt of cancellation - no response. So in short I would say they are a scam. They probably do book some stuff, but collect a whole pile of money on dodgy practices. Does anyone know if there is somewhere that you can complain about potentially illegal/misleading sites?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

New dawn wrote: »
    I booked a hotel in a hurry there recently. On being transferred to their website from Trivago, the dates changed so I ended up paying for the wrong night. I emailed them and they responded immediately requesting a further balance to change the booking. The balance they requested exceeded the hotels own price and the cancellation fee from Amoma. I emailed them back to complain about this. - No response. Then I tried to log on to cancel my booking - which would cost me €10 if I did it that day. The website came up with an error message when I tried to access my account. Again I emailed them - no response. I emailed them to ask that they confirm receipt of cancellation - no response. So in short I would say they are a scam. They probably do book some stuff, but collect a whole pile of money on dodgy practices. Does anyone know if there is somewhere that you can complain about potentially illegal/misleading sites?

Thanks

Give them a call and see if they can sort it out, +44 (0) 203 608 8169. Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kaitwo

I booked a Travelodge in Edinburgh through Amoma (and Trivago). I got a good price which included an excellent breakfast, voucher appeared immediately, correct amount debited. very pleased

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jon t

My advice is to NOT use Amoma.com just because of their unhelpful attitude when I had to change my reservation because of their internet site changed to a default date after I had chosen my reservation dates. Too bad for me but it can´t be that difficult to change dates without charging a "penalty fee" for one night. I admit I should have gone through the details before finishing my booking but if YOU want a trouble free agent, pick some one else. Some one that allows rebooking as close as one day before arrival. (One week is AMOMAs limit). DO NOT USE AMOMA.com others offer better customer service more sence of urgency and more flexible bookings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭corcadorcha

Have used site for hotel in Sicily and Limerick. Both worked out fine. Great price both times. Used it through trivago and was the best price. Was nervous first time after reading reviews but had no problems. I did email hotel to check the first time I used it and everything was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 runkeller

I made a reservation for a hotel on Amoma.com as it was the cheapest. When I arrived at the hotel, they had my reservation but no payment information and would not let me use the reservation without confirmation from Amoma or for me to pay them directly even though Amoma had already withdrew the payment from my credit card account. When I finally got a hold of a Amoma customer service agent, they put me on hold for over an hour as I waited in the hotel lobby. They never did resolve my issue and just kept apologizing. I asked for a refund but they refuse. The hotel insists they were never paid by Amoma and I ended up having to pay for my room again (once to Amoma and once to the hotel). It was a miserable experience and I will never book through Amoma.com again.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

runkeller wrote: »
    I made a reservation for a hotel on Amoma.com as it was the cheapest. When I arrived at the hotel, they had my reservation but no payment information and would not let me use the reservation without confirmation from Amoma or for me to pay them directly even though Amoma had already withdrew the payment from my credit card account. When I finally got a hold of a Amoma customer service agent, they put me on hold for over an hour as I waited in the hotel lobby. They never did resolve my issue and just kept apologizing. I asked for a refund but they refuse. The hotel insists they were never paid by Amoma and I ended up having to pay for my room again (once to Amoma and once to the hotel). It was a miserable experience and I will never book through Amoma.com again.

And you joined boards especially to tell us all...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 somchaibunnag

amoma.com is buying travel agents rates from a company called Hotelbeds, so each time you are making a booking you are in fact paying a commission fee to Hotelbeds and then a commission fee to amoma.com and what is left goes to the hotel. Hoteliers hate such sites as they receive peanuts on each bookings after the commission deduction! Your best option is to contact the hotel directly and inform them you can book a room from amoma.com and most of the time the hotel will give a lower rate if you pay directly with the hotel. It is a win-win concept as you will pay a lower room rate than the one from amoma.com and the hotel will receive a better revenue without the need to pay any commissions back. In addition you deal directly with the hotel and not a sales person handling thousands of bookings per day who does not care any of your requests except your payment!
    A word to the wise!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mitch61

i used amoma recently and was very wary after seen all the bad reviews ..they are very hard to contact but a few days before i was due to go they rang to confirm my booking ..all was grand at the hotel just present your voucher and id ..hope this is a help for anyone else who uses amoma ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

Has anyone ever used this website to book hotels?
    www.amoma.com

Any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I have used it twice and had no issue either time. I paid via paypal though rather than through my credit card. Both times it was fine and much cheaper than anywhere else. However I did not need to change dates or anything.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement