Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Demotivated

• 15-07-2012 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭

I'm in a bit of a slump right now and I just cannot be arsed to get out on the bike or out for a run. Was flying along until the weather took a turn for the worse and now I just can't motivate myself. Not saying it's related to cycling or running, it's more a 'me' thing. Does anyone else ever feel similar and how do you deal with it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Does anyone else ever feel similar

Often, especially with our weather.
    how do you deal with it?

Man up and get out, once you start you wonder what was putting you off in the first place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

Not saying it's related to cycling or running

Put down the wetsuit and sell your tri-bike. That ought to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

SNAP:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

I'm the same this year, tend to find more excuses not to go out. The weather is kinda depressing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

Sounds like a classic case of over training,just take a week off go for a pint or 2 you will be mad for road after your week off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Sounds like a classic case of over training,just take a week off go for a pint or 2 you will be mad for road after your week off

+1

Well, on the week off part. I wouldn't know anything about training!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Buy something new and fun!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Buy something new and fun!
    ... and convince yourself it will make you go faster

(whether it does or not is actually irrelevant, it's more about perception and giving yourself the feel good factor)

If you can't afford whatever is "necessary" to make yourself go faster, convince youreslf that you can get there by sheer hard work - a few more miles will make all the difference (I can confirm this is statistically accurate based on my personal research)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Buying stuff does actually work, it gives you the bit of motivation to get back on the bike. Once you are on it, things get back to normal.

Or, arrange to go cycling with friends/a club. You'll feel like you have to turn up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Shut up and just cycle your bike. You mightn feel great doing it but you'll feel much better afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Many a time i am in no mood to go out, half the battle is getting kitted up and getting out the front door. Afterwards i am always glad i made the effort, and if i hadn't bother going out i regret that i should have.
    A friend of my brother who does a lot of running says you never regret taking exercise. He might regret having a few too many drinks or eating a bit too much but he's always glad he made the effort after he's had a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Set Yourself a Goal then do what Monkeyslayer says below

Shut up and just cycle your bike. You mightn feel great doing it but you'll feel much better afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

I try to mix it up between road and MTB but most importantly being involved in a club means that you have to get out even when you sometimes want to hide at home! And it's never (rarely) as bad as you think it's going to be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Put down the wetsuit and sell your tri-bike. That ought to do it.
    Strangely enough, I'm ****e at swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭mp31

Rule #6 says it all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I'm in a bit of a slump right now and I just cannot be arsed to get out on the bike or out for a run. Was flying along until the weather took a turn for the worse and now I just can't motivate myself. Not saying it's related to cycling or running, it's more a 'me' thing. Does anyone else ever feel similar and how do you deal with it?

have a kid or two, that'll get you back on your bike in no time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Make sure you're eating well, make sure you get enough sleep, pick a simple short term goal and a more difficult medium/long term one. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

mp31 wrote: »
    Rule #6 says it all
    #5 also applies I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Stay off the bike. It's not worth it. Have that extra slice of cake, sit back and relax into the cosy sofa and watch the telly. Listen to the rain pelting the window think about all the eejits on their bikes being soaked through.

The amount of times I have come back in from a rain soaked ride and just dumped the bike in a corner and said never again have been more this year than I can remember. For some reason, after wiping down & relubing the bike 2 days later, I clip in and get soaked again. It's some kind of madness or dimentia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

Ive been feeling exactly the same for the last year. Over did it at the start of 2011 and by june had just given up tried again this year but one or two nights n days of rain just gave up. Im getting back into it now and the motivation is getting overweight n barely being able to fit in to jerseys and shorts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I was about to convert my bike to electric and 'cycle' to work until the floodgates opened a month or two ago. Poxy weather.

Advertisement