Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Slow Cooker recipes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

would love a beef strogenoff ( spelling ??) recipe. I have stewing beef in the freezer. would this be ok for it ? dont want to serve another stew again this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Beef Stroganoff wouldn't be one for the slow cooker. It's actually very quick to make (use fillet steak rather than stewing cut)... more info here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55201815

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭et101

Have only discovered this site and am SO pleased. Bought a massive slow cooker in Argos recently for me the husband and 4 kids and have been searching for recipes online but so many are American and I can't be bothered with the conversions (or the weird ingredients!). So PLEASE keep the ideas coming :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Our slow cooker (12 sterling from Argos UK many years ago) is used almost every day.

It makes glorious steamed puddings.. An upside down saucer as a trivet and in a pudding bowl with water around it. Just a standard steamed pudding recipe works great.

Milk puddings the same method. or in the ceramic pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

made a never to be repeated mistake . made a chicken dish in the SL with chicken legs but obviously left it in too long as the bones literally disintegrated.. we spent the whole meal picking out peices of bone.. not good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

et101 wrote: »
    Have only discovered this site and am SO pleased. Bought a massive slow cooker in Argos recently for me the husband and 4 kids and have been searching for recipes online but so many are American and I can't be bothered with the conversions (or the weird ingredients!). So PLEASE keep the ideas coming :)

It is very simple and I have never used any special recipes; anything that will cook slowly is fine. Soups and stews as you would usually make them.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭smallbrowncat

Great thread!! I am a huge fan of slow cookers, and it's one of the first things I bought when I moved to in Ireland. Lots of people use them in NZ - cheap cuts of meat are very popular because groceries are quite expensive.

Here is one of my favourite recipes from a popular NZ slow cooker recipe book. The BBQ Beef one is brilliant for burgers and very popular with kiddies! Great Friday night food.

BBQ Slow Cooker Tender Beef
    About 750g - 1kg beef blade or flank steak (basically any type of cheap cut stewing beef). Brown in a pan first. Leave as one piece and add on high with 1/2 cup hot water for one hour. (To be honest I just skip the hot water simmering bit and chuck all the ingredients in from the start). Then add 130g tomato paste, 1/2 cup tomato sauce, 2tbsp balsamic vinegar, 2 tbsp worcestershire sauce, 2tsp soy sauce, 1 tsp dry mustard, 1 tsp salt and turn heat down to low. Cook for 5-6 hours (or longer as desired). About then you can shredd the meat with two forks.

Serve on burger buns with salad and relish etc - or however you feel is appropriate!! Freezes brilliantly too. In my big old slow cooker I used to make a double batch and freeze in portions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Just made a delicious oxtail stew, even my slow cooker sceptic OH loved it.

Oxtail pieces, however much you need
    Spuds, chopped
    Carrots, chopped
    Worcestershire sauce, a good splosh
    sundried tomato paste, a fair dolloop
    Bay leaf, 1
    Thyme, fair shake
    Stock cube (or home-made stock)

Brown the meat first, then put all the veg and everything else in the slow cooker with enough water (or stock) to cover,put the meat on top, turn it on and eat it later.

I cooked it for about 6 hours, and it was gorgeous, but I'll probably leave it 8/9 hours in future, so it's falling off the bone.

Here's a question; can you make stock in a slow cooker? I'd love to make my own stock out of chicken carcasses but I'm a devil for putting it on to simmer and promptly forgetting about it so that it boils dry. I got to thinking about my slow cooker, that essentially simmers things. Has anyone tried making stock in a slow cooker? How did you get on? Any tips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I have seen recipes online for slow cooker stock but I haven't tried it yet. If you are worried about forgetting about the slow cooker you can get a timer plug in dunnes or tesco (maybe a 2e shop).

• Advertisement

Luckily my slow cooker has a timer. It's when I try to make it in a saucepan that I wander off for 6 hours and come back to a charred mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Does anyone have one? Are they worth buying? My mum has been raving about one she got.
    Argos have a deal on at the moment so was thinking about getting one.
    Im on my own, but would like to make enough for 2 meals, so what size should i get? Argos do only 3.5 L or 1.8L.

I work 12 hour shifts so would be ok to leave on for 12 hours?

Thanks

p.s im bad at cooking so the idea of throwing everything in pot and leaving it appeals to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

I got 1 last year and they are brilliant, they are great for stews,soups and casseroles and I have even cooked a roast beef and a gammon joint in it (the one I purchased can be set over gas so if I want to brown the meat first its perfect). They are so easy to use just put everything in set it and off you go for the day. Make sure if you buy one to research online for recipes as there is some class ones on it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,533 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Great jobs altogether. We've had the 1.8L Argos one and now have the 3.5L. The 1.8 should just about do you for two meals if it's an "everything in one pot" job. 12 hrs may be a bit on the long side for some recipes - maybe put it on a timer to switch off? Note the 3.5L definitely runs a lot hotter than the 1.8 - making the 1.8 probably more suited for longer cooking times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I love my slow cooker, I don't day use it every but definitely enough to make it worth having. There are a couple of previous threads on the subject with great recipes and advice:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71515271

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055468379

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Do they use a lot of electricity?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

About as much as a lightbulb.

Some info about them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I love my slow cooker, I don't day use it every but definitely enough to make it worth having. There are a couple of previous threads on the subject with great recipes and advice:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71515271

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055468379

Indeed, thanks dizzy. I've merged the new thread with a comprehensive previous one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Eriu79

No problem,

I got this one:
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4236045/Trail/searchtext%3ESLOW+COOKER.htm

Its 6litre, stainless steel on the outside but the crock pot bit inside is ceramic.
    Its very big alright, could cook a lot in it, have a stew in it tonight, smells good!

Wow that is cheap I have this one

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4234999/Trail/searchtext%3ESLOW+COOKER.htm

but bought it at 29.99 a long while back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

This is a recipe from the Crock Pot (slow cooker ) site. I wouldn;t have thought rice pudding would be a good candidate for a slow cooker but according to the company this can be done.;)

Rice Pudding
    1654_23_58259138_582591.PNG

Cook Time: 2½ hours on Low and 1 hour on Warm

Slow Cooker Size: 4 - 4.7 Litres-5 - 5.7 Litres

Yields : 4-6 servings

Ingredients
    100 g short grain pudding rice
    600 ml semi-skimmed milk
    300 ml double cream
    50 g caster sugar
    25 g unsalted butter
    ½ tsp nutmeg, freshly grated

Directions
    1. Rinse rice in a sieve, drain and then place in stoneware.
    2. Add milk, double cream and sugar. Stir together gently.
    3. Add butter in small knobs.
    4. Grate nutmeg over the surface.
    5. Place lid on stoneware and then turn dial to Low and cook for 2½ hours.
    6. Remove lid of stoneware and stir rice gently with a wooden spoon.
    7. Replace lid, turn dial to keep warm and allow to stand for 1 hour before serving to allow the rice to absorb any excess liquid.
    8. Serve with grated nutmeg and jam.

I don't know if the link to this site has been entered here, but in case anyone would like it here it is:
    http://www.crockpot.co.uk/Recipes.aspx?crs=j0FlQB20MwU=

This is the United Kingdom version of their site they have others- U.S. - Eastern Europe, etc. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

not so much a recipe as an idea, but in an effort to use less processed foods and get more veg and vitamins into us we've been making our own tomato sauce for pasta and chilli by throwing a bunch of veg into the slow cooker with some herbs and stock cubes and a little water and it comes out amazing.

we threw in tomatoes, courgettes, aubergines, onions, mushrooms, carrots, spinach and i'm sure some other stuff (i think it was 11 different veg iirc) and added some herbs and spices and a couple of beef stock cubes and then left it on low for a day, then let it cool and bagged it up in ziplock bags and stuck it in the freezer and it just takes 10 minutes to heat them through to defrost them as they are a flat shape with a lot of surface area.

brown off some mince and add whatever else you fancy and combine with the sauce and you have yourself a very quick chilli or bolognese and you know exactly what went into it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

Hiya

I just bought a slow cooker yesterday so am excited about trying it out. I think I'm going to attempt a spaghetti bolognese in it. Plan on using my standard recipe for it but just wondering to anyone out there who has made spaghetti bolognese in their slow cooker - do you put the pasta in as well or do you cook it seperately? I'd love to put it in with the sauce as I think (only a guess!) that it would soak up all the good flavours and all of that. In theory it sounds good but in practice it may not work so just looking for any opinions or experiences out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i've never actually tried it like that, but it might be worth a shot.

you'll probably have to put it in towards the end of the cooking and check it every so often to make sure it doesn't go too soggy though.

i've always been a big fan of just trying random stuff, so i'm interested to see how well it goes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Having stuffed flank steak (bacon, bread crumbs, herbs) with root veg in the slow cooker tonight... parsnip, carrot, potato, fresh herbs, red wine, stock. It smells fab and its just whats needed after a day painting the sitting room. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭et101

I have a slow cooker too and thought it would change my life but nothing that I have cooked in it has been that successful!!! Any tips or foolproof recipes would be very much appreciated!! ;)

Put in a chuck roast that you seasoned and browned in a skillet. Cover with can of cream of mushroom soup and a slosh of Worcestershire, Cover and cook on low 8 hours. Works every time for me.

Pepper Steak

1/3 cup flour 1or 2 green bell pepper, sliced
    1 teaspoon salt 1- 1 pound can tomatoes
    1 1/2 pounds round steak, cut in strips
    1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
    1/2 teaspoon pepper 3 tablespoons soy sauce
    1 large onion Rice, cooked

Combine flour, salt and pepper. Dredge steak strips in flour and put in slow cooker. Add rest of ingredients. Stir well to coat steaks. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Then turn to low and cook for 8 hours (or 5 hours more on High) Serve over rice (or noodles). this is easy and a good recipe to try. Uses mostly canned stuff and altho the measurement is U.S. its not that exact just how you'd normally season .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

I use a thermal pot which is a similar principle except it doesn't need any power apart from the initial blast of heat in the first half hr or so. The heat from the initial boiling and simmering stage is insulated and keeps hot, and cooking gently away, for hours. Works a treat for a stew.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 campbellu

vibe666 wrote: »
    not so much a recipe as an idea, but in an effort to use less processed foods and get more veg and vitamins into us we've been making our own tomato sauce for pasta and chilli by throwing a bunch of veg into the slow cooker with some herbs and stock cubes and a little water and it comes out amazing.

we threw in tomatoes, courgettes, aubergines, onions, mushrooms, carrots, spinach and i'm sure some other stuff (i think it was 11 different veg iirc) and added some herbs and spices and a couple of beef stock cubes and then left it on low for a day, then let it cool and bagged it up in ziplock bags and stuck it in the freezer and it just takes 10 minutes to heat them through to defrost them as they are a flat shape with a lot of surface area.

brown off some mince and add whatever else you fancy and combine with the sauce and you have yourself a very quick chilli or bolognese and you know exactly what went into it. :)
    I would add the meat to the slow cooking process as it is the long slow cooking of the meat that gives the intense flavour. The veg by themselves are great however. try using natural stocks however not cubes with additives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 campbellu

I have developed a standard base, same as any stew..chopped celery, carrott, onion-you can fry them off if you have the time but you don't need to and some times I wonder! add any of following-garlic, root ginger, herbs/spices etc, tinned tomatoes, stock..then add in meat..you can brown steak cubes and add, chicken pieces, I take skin off..with bones adds to flavour but be careful if you use all of a chicken as the small bones can melt into gravy and be a problem.
    Slow cooking is better than high also.
    Most of the recipes say veg takes longer than the meat so put veg in first. I am going to keep throwing things in and use it same as I would cook on the stove, bit of this and that..
    I would NOT put spaghetti in..it takes 7mins in a pot..WHY?
    Curry is great and there is a great butter chicken recipe on web BUT it is not healthy so I am going to stop using it.
    The tins of tomatoes with herbs, garlic, onions, arrabiatta etc (Lidl?) are brilliant for extra flavour.

Advertisement